By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IYO, what are the worst things this gen has brought to the table?

IYO (in your opinion), what are they?

As far as I´m concerned, I don´t like the excessive DLC and the idea (that seems to be gaining ground) a game must have online co-op (or other online options) in order to be considered good or great.

Around the Network

Probably pretty much wat you said along with also installation and game updates, its no real big issue to me but i just miss the days when you'd just put in the disc and thats all it is to it.

I like the idea of DLC and they have definitely made it more accessible. Maybe it's because I can't wait for DA:O =P

I think most of these changes are caused by higher production costs and the competition between purchasing new and old games. DLC potentially allows you to enjoy games you like for longer, instead of trading it in right away to get the next big game (which is something I did for a while)

Co-op and online just adds to replayability. And as the market expands the people who get into gaming are more interested in the social side of playing the game instead of the game instead of a single person story line.

Both of those are great for the industry.

For me the worst thing has been hype surrounding games.

RRoD and DLC, in that order.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Excessive DLC, a "patch it later" mentality, and shitty fucking hardware.

Around the Network

Microsoft,for creating fanboys.

This horrible elitism that now seems to permeate the gaming media.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sony for expecting us to get 2 jobs just to pay $600 for a console.

YLOD

I'd say something about fanboys, but they've been around long before this generation so you can't really blame anything from this generation for that.

Excessive DLC
More and more QTEs

DLC can be a good thing. But I agree with the, no online = not buying, mentality. I also hate the way the Wii is taking gaming. Especially if all consoles go that direction next gen. Then it's off to PC gaming for me.