By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘Transformers 2’ Tops Charts, is Top-Selling Title of the Year

As expected, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the year’s No. 1 movie, gave the home entertainment business a badly needed boost last week, selling and renting as though it was still the halcyon days of the early 2000s, when consumer spending on DVD was going up by the double digits year after year.

The Paramount Home Entertainment release hit stores Oct. 20 and within a week had become the top-selling home entertainment release of the year, with first-week sales of 7.5 million units, according to Home Media Magazine market research.

The sequel also became the biggest-selling Blu-ray Disc release of 2009, with first-week sales of 1.2 million units.

Transformers also takes the cake for day-one sales, having moved 2 million discs its first day in stores, 500,000 of them on the high-definition Blu-ray Disc format.

“It’s certainly an encouraging sign for the business,” said veteran industry analyst Tom Adams. He added that the strong Blu-ray Disc sales count is particularly good news, “because if the business is going to turn around, it’s going to be because Blu-ray starts performing, and this is certainly an indicator that Blu-ray is starting to play its role and help stabilize the business.”

Transformers easily debuted at No. 1 on all three charts: the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, Home Media Magazine’s rental chart and the Nielsen VideoScan Blu-ray Disc sales chart.

Walt Disney Studios’ The Proposal, the previous week’s top seller and renter, slipped to No. 2, with Paramount/DreamWorks’ Monsters vs. Aliens the week’s No. 3 seller and Universal Studios’ Land of the Lost the No. 3 renter.

On the Blu-ray Disc chart, Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came in second after spending its first two weeks in stores at No. 1.

source http://www.homemediamagazine.com/research/transformers-2-tops-charts-top-selling-title-year-17428

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This number incudes both DVD and BR sales and obviously doesn't include WW sales. In terms of the breakdown between the formats the DVD release sold around 6.3 million and the BR sold 1.2 million to be the fastest selling BR of the year so far.

This figure is huge for a film that had such a horrendous critical response, but not unexpected. Transformers is a huge franchise afterall.

Around the Network

Oooh, I didn't know this came out yet. I'll have to go get it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

This is a huge blow to the "film as art" movement.

I wasn't aware that it'd been released either. But then again I don't live in the US.

As much as I loathed this movie it just goes to show that there will always been a gap between what the critics want and what the general audience wants. Such massive numbers prove that.

Congratulations to the worst film of the year!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Urgh.

I mean I was a person who kind of enjoyed the first Transformers in a mindless way, this one was just terrible.

The Blu-Ray released???

4 ≈ One

How? I mean... How?

Wow? I mean... How?

RicHo said:
Wow? I mean... How?

Don't copy my post and think it's ok because you changed one letter lol.