By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars PSP - NA first week 12003

Some games just belong on consoles and should stay away from psp/ds

Around the Network

I prefer the 3D GTAs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo9jyy8OrsI

tuoyo said:
saicho said:
When it "flopped" on DS, it's because hardcore games can't sell on DS and DS is for teh casuals.

When it's announced for PSP, people are saying how it would outsell the DS version.

When it sells even worse on PSP, it's because of the piracy and PSN sales that we don't know about. (and the port)

I love that no games would flop on PS3 and PSP now since they always have PSN sales and only PSP has piracy.

I would have thought that you have been around this website to understand how this website works.  For example when niche games like Madworld or No More Heroes don't sell mad numbers on Wii it is because hard core games don't sell on Wii.  When Mirrors Edge doesnt sell well on PS3 it is the developers fault. 

When Bioshock which is one of the best games this gen apparently does not sell well on PS3 it is because it is a late port.  When Okami doesn't sell mad numbers on Wii it is because Wii owners only buy party games.

If a game does not sell well on Wii or DS is because of the owners.  When it doesn't sell well on PS3 or PSP it is because of developers or pirates.

lol

This!

@twingo

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=grand+theft+auto&keyword=&console=PSP&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

atma998 said:
tuoyo said:
saicho said:
When it "flopped" on DS, it's because hardcore games can't sell on DS and DS is for teh casuals.

When it's announced for PSP, people are saying how it would outsell the DS version.

When it sells even worse on PSP, it's because of the piracy and PSN sales that we don't know about. (and the port)

I love that no games would flop on PS3 and PSP now since they always have PSN sales and only PSP has piracy.

I would have thought that you have been around this website to understand how this website works.  For example when niche games like Madworld or No More Heroes don't sell mad numbers on Wii it is because hard core games don't sell on Wii.  When Mirrors Edge doesnt sell well on PS3 it is the developers fault. 

When Bioshock which is one of the best games this gen apparently does not sell well on PS3 it is because it is a late port.  When Okami doesn't sell mad numbers on Wii it is because Wii owners only buy party games.

If a game does not sell well on Wii or DS is because of the owners.  When it doesn't sell well on PS3 or PSP it is because of developers or pirates.

lol

This!

Hit the nail right on the head.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
irstupid said:
bazmeistergen said:
irstupid said:
KillerMan said:

To be true if I remember right Take-Two did advertise this when it was released on DS. PSP version has gotten zero advertisement. Still disappointing sales. Maybe because PSP owners have already played two 3D GTA games they don't want to go back old style.

Quit saying it hasn't been advertised people.  I have seen a TON of commercials for this game on TV.

have you not seen this on tv a bunch   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzk6Pz9ZJc&feature=player_embedded  I sure have

It's advertised on phone booths across the UK. Not seen a TV advert, but I don't watch much.

well i'm in the U.S. which this is about.  so me seeing it on TV a ton has a lo more credit than you from England in this thread.  If this was about worldwide sales then fine. But trust me I have seen prolly the commemrcial at least 10 times a day on TV.  Or I did at least, haven't seen it in a couple days.

So not sure why they quit advertising, or if i'm just missing comercials now.  but as some have said i didn't even know when or if this game is even out.  and ha at someone saying torrent sites have like 200,000 downloads or seeders ro wahtever.  that is never a good sign.  must be quite easy to pirate on psp.  

Sure. Just thought I'd mention that the phone booths are covered in this country, so we'll see if there's any difference to the sales on Thursday.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Dgc1808 said:
saicho said:

The other GTA PSP games have very impressive sales compared to this one on the DS. Look at the differences of this game and the previous.

Late Port
Completely different perspective

It's arguable that casual GTA fans only car about how much bad things they can do in the game and changing the perspective changes how they experience the game.

Also. That last line is straight up silly. Very few full PS3 games are released on PSN. Only ones I can think of are Burnout which was released on PSN some time after it's retail release, and Siren which was only released at retail on disc in certain territories. All the other's are fully online only titles:

Socom
Warhawk

Or heavy content filled demo... [GT5p] 

I think you are missing the point.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

im sorry but the excuses in this thread make me laugh

c0rd said:
.jayderyu said:
Kenology said:
indodude said:
Maybe because people aren't interested in a top-down perspective?

We said that when it didn't sell gangbusters on the DS too, but no one wanted to hear that...

I really can't say much more than what Kenology. oh wait I can.

GTACW is a fantastic game, but as many said it rocks the boat. R* assumed that the fans would come forward and they didn't. They dissed the DS to make way more money with the assumption that it would sell like the GTA Stories. It's not. Maybe now with the comparison of sales that it's settled to rest. Make a game that people don't want to play, don't expect the sales just becuase of name. Great game, but it's not Third Person and that's what the modern GTA player wants. Am I happy that this happened. For this once I am very happy, because I love companies when they get slapped in the face because of assumptions like the one made.

Hm, what do you mean by this? You make it sound like R* just shit out another GTA on the DS, but the game ended up pretty good, IMO. They put a lot of effort into it, and it's not exactly a failure (unless it stops selling soon). I don't recall them insulting DS owners, either (did they?).

As for this thread, yeah. Don't see the point, to be honest, the guilty ones aren't going to show themselves anyways.

nah, i'm just being mean. Personally I think the game is fantastic and I believe the studio that made the game did an incredible job. Contrary to people who haven't played the game. The game is in 3d. It's just the camera angle is in the style of the PS1 style games.  What i'm saying is that there from I have taken was that R* felt that producing a any GTA game would sell to the equivelant to their PSP Third Person counterparts. Where in fact the name alone wasn't what GTA fans want. If GTACW was in third person similar to say the Rookie it would have sold a lot better. Likely to expectations. As for dissing the NDS, nah, i'm just being mean. R* was unhappy with the sales that's very clear. Since they are porting the game to PSP & iPhone. Should they be unhappy, well probably, but clearly it wasn't the game it was the consumers they were unhappy with. Again that's why it's being ported. Now that PSP fans have had the chance to buy the game it's showing that the problem wasn't with the NDS/Consumers it's the game itself. Still again I love the game and playing thought it more than once.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

^The fact that R* ported all PSP GTAs to PS2 proves that they were unsatisfied with sales?