By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Transformers DVD / HD-DVD break all week#1 sales records

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=NEWS_VIEW_POPUP_TYPE&newsId=20071022006461&ndmHsc=v2*A1190545200000*B1193142009000*DgroupByDate*J2*L1*N1000837*Ztransformers&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view_popup

DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures Megahit TRANSFORMERS Invades Stores to Become This Years Top-Selling DVD and the Best-Selling High Definition Title Day One and Week One for Either Format

From Director Michael Bay and Executive Producer Steven Spielberg, In Association With Hasbro, Record-Setting DVD and HD DVD Sales Underscore TRANSFORMERS Status As Franchise Of Inter-Galactic Proportions

Smart Multimedia Gallery
Transformers Invades Stores to Become the Year's Top-Selling DVD and Best Selling High Definition Title Day One and Week One for Either Format (Photo: Business Wire)

HOLLYWOOD--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The blockbuster hit from DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures, TRANSFORMERS, is the years top-selling week one DVD with North American sales reaching 8.3 million units since the titles debut on October 16, it was announced today by Paramount Home Entertainment. The biggest original film of the year from director Michael Bay and executive producer Steven Spielberg, in association with Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS), is also the best-selling DVD day one for the year with over 4.5 million units sold on Tuesday. Additionally, the smash hit has exploded into the high definition market, selling over 100,000 HD DVDs its first day of release, rocketing past previous releases to become the best-selling day one high definition title on either format since their inceptions. TRANSFORMERS has sold over 190,000 HD DVDs in its first week making it the fastest and best-selling week one release on either high definition format as well as the best selling HD DVD ever. The TRANSFORMERS DVD is also the top-selling October DVD release in the history of the home entertainment industry.

The performance of the TRANSFORMERS DVD and HD DVD has demonstrated the phenomenal success of this global franchise, said Kelley Avery, president, Worldwide Home Entertainment, Paramount Pictures. Were happy to be kicking off the fourth quarter with a title that clearly shows home entertainment releases are still an event that drives consumers into storeswhich is a win for both content providers and retailers. Earning over $700 million at the global box office, the live-action feature film TRANSFORMERS is the latest success in a worldwide franchise that has emerged as one of the most successful properties in action figure history, spawning numerous television series and comic books and a wealth of toys, games and other licensed merchandise. In 2007, TRANSFORMERS has become one of the hottest properties for boys in a variety of categories, including toys, publishing, video games, apparel and back-to-school. Hasbros licensing arm, HPG, has signed more than 250 licensees in 70 countries around the world.

The first live-action film based on the enduringly popular ROBOTS IN DISGUISE, TRANSFORMERS features the ultimate battle between good and evil, as the peace-loving AUTOBOTS seek to protect humanity from the evil forces of the DECEPTICONS. The TRANSFORMERS Special Edition two-disc DVD and HD DVD sets provide an incredible experience with an arsenal of bonus material that delivers excitement and fun for long-time fans, as well as for viewers who are new to the TRANSFORMERS universe. Further, the HD DVD includes a host of highly advanced web-enabled features that will continue to roll-out through the rest of the year.

For those that don't want to read the press release:

- Transformers has broken all DVD / HD (either format) week#1 sales records for '07
- DVD sales total 8.3m units in first week
- HD-DVD sales total 190k in first week

(HD sales account for approx 2% of total sales - still pretty trivial figures)

I thought it would be big.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

WOW

Spider-Man 3 will probably break the record of it though

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

wow... it really puts the whole current dvd vs hd situation into perspective, i honestly thought that i was behind by not moving up to hd dvds yet, seems like 98% (give or take 10%) are right there with me

anyways.. grats to transformers, and all that

darthdevidem said:
WOW

Spider-Man 3 will probably break the record of it though

Spiderman has already been out (at least here?) for weeks?

Its a bit hard to measure the "sales" of Spiderman BluRay, as its effectively a pack-in.

And no - I definitely expect Transformers to outsell Spiderman (on both DVD & HD). Spiderman 3 just didn't set the world alight (in terms of being a good movie...). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Spiderman 3 is not released yet. It will be released on Oct. 30.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Around the Network

"300" is still ahead in HD movie sales if you combine HD DVD and Blu-ray. "300" sold 250k in first week of which 163k were Blu-ray. So Transformers HD sales weren't actually any better.

I got it with my Best Buy HD-DVD deal. I love the action ...

Autobots ... ROLL OUT!

I bought it on HD DVD... Until then I was anti-HD and Blu-Ray... Now, I see the light. No more DVD... I am a HD supporter. The only thing I didn't like about the Transformers HD DVD is that it did not come with a regular DVD (Two sided disc) as well. Oh well, I guess I'm not going back anyhow!

*cries a single tear*

so halo 3 dethroned?  it this going to be a "one up each industry for the record each month" year?