By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Transformers DVD / HD-DVD break all week#1 sales records

makingmusic476 said:
Delusional said:
makingmusic476 said:
The Blu-Ray version of 300 outsold the HD DVD version 2:1. I wonder how much Blu-Ray version of Transformers would've sold if Paramount had stayed neutral. That type of movie caters perfectly to the ps3 demographic.

2 million ps3s and 400k standalone hd dvd players yet only outsold them 2:1??? And I wonder how much money Paramount may have to invest to get a working blu-ray version of transformers without bugs.

Anyways, I got a ps3 now, but I'm not going to buy spiderman. Transformers rock! (Not Michael Bay though).

Blu-Ray only outsells HD DVD by that much because 70% of ps3 owners don't buy Blu-Ray movies.  Why? Because 70% of the ps3 userbase doesn't own an HDTV.

As the percentage of HDTV owners rises, so will the percentage of ps3 owners that buy Blu-Ray.

I'm curious how you would know 70% of people who can adfford a 600$ ps3 cant afford a HDTV too? Where do you get these numbers??  Never mind, I think we all know where :/

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Around the Network

Also, the summary of the press release in the first post is similarly incorrect.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

WEWdeadeye said:
makingmusic476 said:
Delusional said:
makingmusic476 said:
The Blu-Ray version of 300 outsold the HD DVD version 2:1. I wonder how much Blu-Ray version of Transformers would've sold if Paramount had stayed neutral. That type of movie caters perfectly to the ps3 demographic.

2 million ps3s and 400k standalone hd dvd players yet only outsold them 2:1??? And I wonder how much money Paramount may have to invest to get a working blu-ray version of transformers without bugs.

Anyways, I got a ps3 now, but I'm not going to buy spiderman. Transformers rock! (Not Michael Bay though).

Blu-Ray only outsells HD DVD by that much because 70% of ps3 owners don't buy Blu-Ray movies. Why? Because 70% of the ps3 userbase doesn't own an HDTV.

As the percentage of HDTV owners rises, so will the percentage of ps3 owners that buy Blu-Ray.

I'm curious how you would know 70% of people who can adfford a 600$ ps3 cant afford a HDTV too? Where do you get these numbers?? Never mind, I think we all know where :/

It is estimated that 30% of US households own an hdtv. Why would that figure not correlate with the ps3 install base? It's also been estimated that around 25-30% of the ps3 install base buys Blu-Ray discs. The numbers are too similar to just be a coincidence.

US Household HD Set Ownership Reaches 30%

Also, I've owned a ps3 since a month after launch, but we're not getting an HDTV until this Chrsitmas.  I am living proof of the statistic.

GooseGaws said:
Also, the summary of the press release in the first post is similarly incorrect.

Can't edit the thread title - good find BTW, somehow I missed this important tidbit :P

Amended the summary to be more correct. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Yeah, i highly doubt spiderman 3 will beat this. That essentially ruined the trilogy, i left the theatre with a bad taste in my mouth because of it. I mean, come on, what the hell was up with "Emo" Peter Parker?

Around the Network

Spiderman 3 won't do as well because its popularity is lacking. Call it a better movie if you must but the key difference between it and Transformers was that Spiderman 3 was boring. The primary audience this effects of course is Children. Spiderman 3 was absolute torture for any young Spidey fan to sit through, there was so little action in the movie and it was so poorly paced that I swear I could see the love melting out of the eyes of the two kids that were sitting in the isle across from me when I went to see it in theatres.

Even then, let's say that argument is bull and I don't know what I'm talking about, you also have to consider the fact that Transformers was the movie that did much better than anyone expected, it was a surprise, a pleasant one. Meanwhile on the other hand Spiderman 3 was an even bigger fall from grace than X-men 3 (Yes X-men 3 was a worse movie but think of the standard of each franchise that both movies respectively let down). Spiderman 3 for many, myself included, was the quintisential death of the Super Hero movie.

both movies were mediocre at best...

both movies will break HDDVD/BR sales records when released.

I seriously can't see why anyone would pay to see Spiderman 3 again. I can see someone buying it to add to their movie collection to make it more complete or when a friend comes over who hasn't seen it. But raise your hands if you really want to sit through Spiderman 3 again and watch every main character in that movie cry and watch Tobey Maguire do that sexy dance.

DarkNight_DS said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Now I'm wondering (okay, terrified) how well Knocked Up will sell, just to see that one infamous shot in HD.

I saw that movie in the theatre... what shot are you talking about???

Even though I haven't seen the movie, I've heard talk about this shot where you see the baby crowning from the birth canal. I might have heard wrong, but it was apparently why some actresses turned down the role. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs