By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD Group: PS3 selling Faster then 360 in USA

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a44314/ps3-selling-faster-than-xbox-360-in-us.html according to this, the NPD Group has stated that the PS3 is selling faster then the 360.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

The article doesn't give any sort of hard sales data. It just says "the PS3 is selling slightly faster". The hard facts: The PS3 is ahead 52,250 units ahead in NA by VGCharts.org. So the NPD number should be 45,000 units, or around 4.5% ahead in the US. However, the PS3 lagged behind in Febuary, and the 360 has been catching up to it. In December, the PS3 had sold 13% faster, and is now down to 1/3rd of that. The PS3 went from selling around 10,000 units more in January (vs the 360) to loosing by 75,000 - which is very important, as Febuary sales are very similar to what it'll face through September. March will be a daunting month for the PS3 to keep it's lead compared to the 360 launch - the 360 increased a bit, and the 360 had reduced the PS3s lead by around a 75,000 unit advantage in Febuary. The 360 could easily become the leader vs. the PS3 in March. However, if the PS3 rallied and did 175k units, it's lead should stay safe for a month or two. However, the PS3 is more likely to do around 150k, and nearly, or actually, lose the lead.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

ssj12 said: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a44314/ps3-selling-faster-than-xbox-360-in-us.html according to this, the NPD Group has stated that the PS3 is selling faster then the 360.
They're comparing the 360 launch to the PS3 launch. "figures show that the PS3 is selling slightly faster in the US than the Xbox 360 did at the same stage in its release".

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

360 was also much more supply constrained.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

yeah, and it's not a fair comparison anyways... how many PS3's where actually bought by scalpers?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

TheSource said: 360 was also much more supply constrained.
.......And was supply constrained until May. A fully stocked PS3 now has to go against a supply constrained 360 for 2 more months. Ironically, I saw a PS3 for the first time at a Best Buy yesterday. It was the same BB that I got my 360 at on launch day. I don't think they had any 360s available (readily) until mid April. Of course, I've also seen atleast 2 places have Wiis (not this BB however), but thats because I'm special.

The interesting thing is that the XBox 360 sold (roughly) 750,000 units in March, April and May (combined) last year meaning they averaged 250,000 in North America per month; so far in 2007 the PS3 has averaged 200,000 per month and I don't see much of a reason for that to change ...

Like I said before. The xbox360 was alone with market with ps2. PS3 with 600$ price tag and with second generation 360 titles and fighting with 250$ gaming device is selling better then 360 did.

And the PS2 went up against a cheaper DC at this time in the US, a cheaper GC, and a more powerful Xbox - all at cheaper prices, and mopped the floor with them. I think people that defend PS3 sales in the US (the 127k in Feb) forget it's a Playstation, not a 3DO. Yes, the price absolutely effects it, but its 4 months into the cycle. By all accounts, the PS3 wasn't supply constrained as of January. The bigger issue is that games are not selling on the PS3. The 360 has a large pricetag (compared to Wii), yet it outsold both in tier ratios COMBINED. Here's the biggest question: Can the PS3 effectively out-do the 360's November and December numbers? IMO, it's very unlikely that it can remotely get near it's numbers. It could easily do 750k in December, which would be good, but it'd still be quite short of what the 360 did.

Yojimbo said: Like I said before. The xbox360 was alone with market with ps2. PS3 with 600$ price tag and with second generation 360 titles and fighting with 250$ gaming device is selling better then 360 did.
But that honestly doesn't matter the single slightest bit. The fact is that the 360 is selling far more than the PS3 is right now, and with a larger library of games and more third party exclusives, there's no reason for that to change any time soon.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.