By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Scientologists convicted of fraud

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8327569.stm

Pretty interesting and welcome stuff.  I wouldn't trust anyone who tells you that you need to pay for religion.

Around the Network

20,000 euros? whoa

Good news. It´s about time to stop these kind of organizations that try to get advantage of vulnerable people.

Fraud's pretty much the function behind their religion isn't it? I mean this is a case of just one woman who was manipulated out of 20,000 Euros. From what I understand most members of Scientology have to pay huge amounts of cash to achieve the higher levels. I can imagine many more cases of fraud on this and higher levels within the church.

France are right to question Scientology's legality because forced payment infringes on the right to freedom of religion. But I think a ban may be too far. I think France should just hit down hard on their fraudulent activities and subsequently the infringements on religious rights that Scientology has made.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of cultists.

Around the Network

Hahahhaa, awesome. France is amazing.

I officially do not hate France anymore.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Things Scientology and most other Religions have in Common:

Recruiting Vulnerable People: Check
Coercing to Pay Money for Salvation: Check
Belief in Fantastical Beings and Historical Happenings: Check
Quick to Judge anyone who Believes Differently: Check
Believers are Not Aware How Ridiculous it Really is: Check

As far as I can see, the future will go 1 of 2 ways:

1: Religion will win out again, and we will experience another dark ages of Religious fanatics destroying everything their respective god does not like (US killing Islamic extremists and vice versa, but 1000x)

2:Common sense will win out, and all Religion will receive this same treatment, and be seen as the Fraud it actually is.

I_Heart_Nintendo said:
Things Scientology and most other Religions have in Common:

Recruiting Vulnerable People: Check
Coercing to Pay Money for Salvation: Check
Belief in Fantastical Beings and Historical Happenings: Check
Quick to Judge anyone who Believes Differently: Check
Believers are Not Aware How Ridiculous it Really is: Check

As far as I can see, the future will go 1 of 2 ways:

1: Religion will win out again, and we will experience another dark ages of Religious fanatics destroying everything their respective god does not like (US killing Islamic extremists and vice versa, but 1000x)

2:Common sense will win out, and all Religion will receive this same treatment, and be seen as the Fraud it actually is.

Religion will win out in the end, I think that is inevitable. People will always believe in a religion, regardless of what the religion is. Even when all the current ones die out new ones will replace them that are just as big.

In the end people need religion, people don't need atheism, I think there may be some truth in the saying "Religion is the opiate of the masses".,

ruimartiniman said:

Good news. It´s about time to stop these kind of organizations that try to get advantage of vulnerable people.

Anyone stupid enough to believe in such things doesn't deserve to have any money.

A fool and his money can be easily parted...