By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should sit the next generation out!

PlaystaionGamer said:
um....NO
wii 2 - 2012
xbox 3 - 2013-14
Playstation 4 - 2014-15 i dont think it will launch before then, plus this is the end of them all launching at the same time really

i dont know man, Nintendo has always released their new console last.. from the snes till now

Around the Network
pterodactyl said:

Unfortunately for Sony, I don't think they'll have a choice BUT to sit next gen out what with the money theyve lost and the decline of the prestige of the PS brand relative to XBox and Wii. If anything, they'll have to release a new console well (like halfway, at least) into the next generation.

Looking at the resent sales and things sony has done for it's customers I doubt sony brand has lost any prestige, only got more of it.

I still expect nintendo to do the first move, since they will have to move to HD-time at some point and I doubt sony does the same pricing mistake twice with the next console. I expect them to make another Cell(mk2)-cpu console, what microsoft does is a complete mystery to me I would expect them to release a similar x-box like 360 but with upgraded cpu/gpu/memory, etc or maybe they will do something very innovative?

Kindly STFU.

Sony should not sit out next gen. A lot of bad things could happen if they did like some developers would loss money and go out of business. A lot of developers count on the PS brand. PS3 is doing very good. For older games that cost too much you don't need to buy them when you can get them for cheap somewhere else like ebay.

letsdance said:
You are trying too hard. Because Sony didn't let them get a foothold in the Gen they should be excluded. That doesn't make any sense buddy.

It wasn't because of Sony, they were having problems even before Sony entered the market, you're trying way too hard, they aren't counted, because they left the market and had lost all of their clout as a hardware maker

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
letsdance said:
But hey, MS didn't last a full gen last gen. They lost money last gen. They launched a year early and were still losing money... but with their system... they still count... Yeah... every excuse you use works for other systems but only counts for Sega... Face it. The sad sorry excuse you gave to downplay the Ps2 works for the Wii vs the 360 too.

They lasted the gen, the fact that they are still in the business, Sega is no longer in the business, you keep ignoring that fact, but it doesn't change the fact that they became a nonfactor in 2000, thats no excuse, explain why they aren't in the business? Nothing to do with Sony, everything to do with no money.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

pterodactyl said:

Unfortunately for Sony, I don't think they'll have a choice BUT to sit next gen out what with the money theyve lost and the decline of the prestige of the PS brand relative to XBox and Wii. If anything, they'll have to release a new console well (like halfway, at least) into the next generation.

Well I hate to break it to you, but according to the financial reports the division the Xbox is in is still $5.8B in the hole.  That is since the original Xbox launched.  And they have only been pulling in profits in the last 2 quarters, you take those 2 quarters out and they were $6.3B in the hole   So if anyone should sit out next gen its Microsoft, according to your views anyway. 

The next sony console is going to be massive!!!!!!!!!!##$#$%%^&@@@!!!!!!!!!1111

(and it will be out in Nov 2012)

rafichamp said:
^^also Sony has learned their lesson this gen, next gen they are going all out, all im saying is dont be surprised when you see PS4 selling 200m units.

Sony's problem this generation is that they went all out . . . in about 3 different directions and ended up doing none of them very well at the start.  The big problem is that they didn't focus.  Sony's problem for the next generation is that they aren't the only ones who are learning from this generation.  Microsoft learned alot from the Xbox to the 360, and there were some major misteps with the 360 this generation.  I don't suspect we'll see hardware failures in the next Xbox like we did this time.  Nintendo will have learned from this generation that there is boatloads of money to be made in DLC and their system needs to be more friendly for downloading lots of it.  Also, Nintendo's success at a lower price point is going to keep launch prices from being in the $500-$600 range like this generation.  I expect the performance increase to be more modest next generation and the costs to be kept lower and stay at or under $400 at launch.  $350 would be where I would want to target for a high performance console in the next gen.  It is a little easier for Microsoft to do since they stick with parts that are a little more standard.  Sony has backed themselves into a compatability corner with the PS3 and is going to have to either stay within the same structure or their emulator programmers are going to have to work double time.

So, I don't see the PS4 selling PS2 numbers in units.  I think the console battlefield has changed since the PS2.  There are too many multiplatform games now and developers are less system loyal than they have ever been.  When we look back 10 years from now, I think the PS2 will be seen as the last generation dominating console.  While the Wii has strong numbers and leads the pack at the moment, it hasn't forced anyone else out of the game.  There is now enough video game console history for console makers to see what some of the major console launch pitfalls are.  Sony made few of new ones this generation and Microsoft made a pretty big blunder themselves, not a new one but a pretty big one with the RRoD.  Both are actually managing to survive them, even though it hurt them

Because of the Wii we will continue to see more motion control peripherals, but if Sony and Microsoft are both smart, they'll not hang their hat that strongly on motion controls.  I don't really think it did alot for Sony this time around.  It helped Nintendo but only because they went all in.  Because of this, they don't dominate as completely.  They, instead, have done very well, but not dominating, in the traditional gaming market and opened up a new market that has done very well for them.  They also also fourish with the Wii60 and PSWii type owners.

Sony isn't going to sit the next generation out, the next console just won't be as intended to be the "be all, end all" that they tried this generation.  They will focus on gaming and delivering video content (movies, TV shows, etc).  Home might make a return, but I see it as a relic of Sony's lack of focus.  If it does return, it will be because Sony has already done all the network infrastructure for it and they just would need to update the graphics and add some more whistles and gongs.  Still, they are going to live and die by the game performance, multiplayer convenience, and price point. 

I give this thread a 9.4.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Basically what I've been saying all along.