By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Modern Warfare 2 pre-order sales are failing hard

nightsurge said:
Ail said:
shio said:
Ail said:

You might want to wake up from whatever imaginary world you are living in...

The first 2 months CoD4 released it sold 3 million units in the US on the 360 and 353k units on the PC in the US at retailers.

That does not take into account Steam, but last I checked Steam didn't have a 50% marketshare for PC sales....

More recent information :

Last May Activision Publishing CEO announced that CoD4 had sold over 13 million copies over all platforms.

PS3 + 360 sales at that time were around 12 million.

So that's 1 million PC sales. Not exactly 10 millions eh ?( and if you still find that odd compared to the number of ppls playing it online on the PC, Infinity Ward has already stated they have noticed that the majority of people playing it online on PC were using a pirated version...)

Let me address you to this post, and let you eat your own words: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2436222

And I don't even know why you brought up the piracy issue. I'd expect a great deal of them to not buy many games. It's a good thing that there's over 300 millions PC gamers.

Yeah, you're rigfht and the Activision exec is lying through his teeth . You obviously know a lot better how much CoD4 sold than the giuy whose job it is to track this 

What was I thinking ?

/sarcasm off

Exactly.  Shio will never accept that PC gamers are full of pirating jerks and that's why developers and sales on PC are dropping so much lately in favor of consoles.  Oh and I love how he still links people to his thread of rampant speculation to refer to it as proof. 

I'd say there are probably about 1 million legitimate PC sales of CoD and the rest are all pirated (probably a good million+ of pirated users).  I was on CoD4 on PC the other day and was shocked to see how few servers there were compared to games like Counter Strike Source.  The online community in CoD4 on PC is so much smaller than any other PC FPS I have ever played (CS Source, Call of Duty[the original], BF 1942, BF 2)

@Ail and nightsurge, it's obvious you 2 didn't even read the post I linked, yet you replied anyway. Then I'll give you the gist of the post I linked.

Posted  Jan 25, 2008 by Gamespot:

"Activision today claims Call of Duty 4 has ended its 2007 tour of duty with 7 million confirmed units sold worldwide, making it the top-selling title across all platforms for the year. Activision said it had pulled its data from NPD Group, Chart Track, and GfK Group.

While Activision claims to have sold 7 million worldwide, the publisher later clarified its statement, saying that its figure only encompasses North America, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Benelux."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185154.html

Activision never released hard figures for the PC version of Call of Duty 4, but in early 2008 they told Call of Duty 4 had sold over 7 millions copies in 2007 (until December 31, 2007) on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 combined. MAC and NDS sales weren't included. Those figures were taken from the Retail sales of just a few selected markets:

• North-America (USA + Canada)
  • UK
  • France
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • Benelux (Belgium + Netherlands + Luxembourg)

Looking at these countries we find that most of them are console-centric markets (NA, UK, Italy, Spain) and only Germany, France and Benelux are more PC-focused, leaving out dozens of smaller PC-dominated countries like the eastern european coutries, scandivian markets, Portugal, China and South Korea, etc...

8 was the number of weeks that COD4 had been available in 2007, since November 6th in NA and 9th in Europe. According to VGChartz:

COD4's NA sales in 2007: 3,684,207
COD4's Others sales in 2007: 2,019,705

That comes to a total of 5,703,912 sales in 2007 for North-American and Others Regions. Nifty! There's a 1.3 millions discrepancy, so PC must've sold that much in the above markets, right? Wrong.

In VGChartz's North-American figures it's also included sales from Central and South-American markets. I happen to remember the great ioi once said that those sales account for around 10% of the Total NA sales, so let's remove that excess:

COD4 USA+CAN sales in 2007: 3,684,207 - 10% = 3,315,786

Since COD4 came out in November 9th in Europe, so it was 3 days short of 8 full weeks. Let's believe those 3 days are around 30% of the Week 8 sales and take them out:

Others Sales - 30% of Week 8: 2,019,705 - 60,785 = 1,958,920

The Others regions aren't just Europe, but also Oceania, Africa and Mainland Asia. Sure, Africa and Continental Asia don't count for much in console sales, but Oceania has Australia and New Zealand, and let's not forget about the dozens of european coutries that Activision failed to mention for it's 7 Million figure.
Now it's a matter estimating how much is the share of UK, Germany, Italy, France and Benelux combined is in the Others. Satoru Iwata, Ninty's Boss, claims that the U.K., Germany, France, and Spain represent 75-80% of the full European market for Handhelds. However, if it were the PC or Console sales only it would've a bit different, since PC has more popularity in many countries outside those, and I think handhelds are seen more as a luxury than consoles. Furthermore, VGChartz's Others include Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Africa. So let's think the countries Activision said is about 65% of Others:

Others - 35%: 1,958,920 - 685,622 = 1,273,298

In the end we get: 3,315,786 + 1,273,298 = 4,589,084

That means Call of Duty 4 sold slightly less than 4.6 millions copies on PS360 out of those 7 millions.

Now onto the main question: What about Call of Duty 4? How did it do on PC?
I have always defended it sold much more than most think. In the beginning everytime I saw PC Top Sellers on Retail, there it was, COD4 selling better than World of Warcraft and Sims 2 in it's first few months, and even after a year it was still around the same pace as those juggernauts... but there was one big difference: COD4 was THE juggernaut in digital distribution, a market that both Blizzard and Maxis barely touched but big enough for indie developers to flourish and Popcap to crap gold nuggets. Infinity Ward's baby dominated Steam and Direct2Drive for months and  fiercely clashed with The Orange Box, Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Source for the top spot, often victorious.

What does this mean? It means PC sold over 2.4 millions in a few countries, in less than 2 months and not even counting digital sales. If the Digital-to-Retail ratio were true then (we don't know), it would mean COD4 would've sold 66% more with the digital sales for a total of 3.7 millions in just 7 markets. But we don't know how digital sales are, so let's not touch this matter again.

When you think about it, Starcraft 1 sold 1.5 millions in 9 months WORLDWIDE, while COD4 sold 2.2 millions in only 7 markets, not counting the Eastern European countries, Scandinavian countries, Russia, South Korea, Australia/New Zealand, etc... and we certainly couldn't see how those legs performed, although it still was one of the best PC sellers in 2008, Retail and Digital, and still selling in 2009.

Around the Network
shio said:
nightsurge said:
Ail said:
shio said:
Ail said:

The first 2 months CoD4 released it sold 3 million units in the US on the 360 and 353k units on the PC in the US at retailers.

That does not take into account Steam, but last I checked Steam didn't have a 50% marketshare for PC sales....

Last May Activision Publishing CEO announced that CoD4 had sold over 13 million copies over all platforms.

So that's 1 million PC sales. Not exactly 10 millions eh ?( and if you still find that odd compared to the number of ppls playing it online on the PC, Infinity Ward has already stated they have noticed that the majority of people playing it online on PC were using a pirated version...)

Let me address you to this post, and let you eat your own words: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2436222

And I don't even know why you brought up the piracy issue. I'd expect a great deal of them to not buy many games. It's a good thing that there's over 300 millions PC gamers.

Yeah, you're rigfht and the Activision exec is lying through his teeth . You obviously know a lot better how much CoD4 sold than the giuy whose job it is to track this 

What was I thinking ?

/sarcasm off

Exactly.  Shio will never accept that PC gamers are full of pirating jerks and that's why developers and sales on PC are dropping so much lately in favor of consoles.  Oh and I love how he still links people to his thread of rampant speculation to refer to it as proof. 

I'd say there are probably about 1 million legitimate PC sales of CoD and the rest are all pirated (probably a good million+ of pirated users).  I was on CoD4 on PC the other day and was shocked to see how few servers there were compared to games like Counter Strike Source.  The online community in CoD4 on PC is so much smaller than any other PC FPS I have ever played (CS Source, Call of Duty[the original], BF 1942, BF 2)

@Ail and nightsurge, it's obvious you 2 didn't even read the post I linked, yet you replied anyway. Then I'll give you the gist of the post I linked.

RAMPANT SPECULATION

I have read it.  And it is what I said it is.    Sure it may not be as low as just 1 million copies, but it sure as heck isn't anywhere near what you think it is either.  Rampant piracy made sure of that.  I'd say at best the PC version has about 3-4 million actual retail/dd sales total.

COD is dead on PC (compared to it's glory days) and will only continue to shift to consoles more and more.

Good. It's been crap since COD 2 anyway.

Moving on...

nightsurge said:
shio said:
nightsurge said:
Ail said:
shio said:
Ail said:

What was I thinking ?

/sarcasm off

RAMPANT SPECULATION

I have read it.  And it is what I said it is.    Sure it may not be as low as just 1 million copies, but it sure as heck isn't anywhere near what you think it is either.  Rampant piracy made sure of that.  I'd say at best the PC version has about 3-4 million actual retail/dd sales total.

COD is dead on PC (compared to it's glory days) and will only continue to shift to consoles more and more.

So tell me, where did those 2.4 millions from the 7 millions of COD4 go to? If it didn't go to Consoles, where did it go? Explain that to me.

shio said:
nightsurge said:
shio said:
nightsurge said:
Ail said:
shio said:
Ail said:

What was I thinking ?

/sarcasm off

RAMPANT SPECULATION

So tell me, where did those 2.4 millions from the 7 millions of COD4 go to? If it didn't go to Consoles, where did it go? Explain that to me.

But you have no idea where that 2.4 millions went to either, nor do you even have anything other than pure speculation as to why there would be a 2.4 million discrepancy.  You are speculating beyond speculation to try and decypher the regions that are included with their data as opposed to the regions included in VGChartz data, etc. etc. etc.

You can only speculate.  Do you not realize that is entirely what you are doing?  Until you can actually PROVE something, you need to give it a rest and accept the fact that COD is dying on the PC as well as most other popular games.  PC gamers are shifting to MMO's and small flash web games.  Piracy mostly to blame.

Around the Network

PC gaming- dying since 1985.

I agree with Shio on that one. COD4 sold really well on PC and PC games always continue selling for a long time (every Steam/D2D/Impulse users knows that). COD:MW2 was bound to sell a lot on PC because of the community that wanted to play/compete/have fun on MW2. Many COD/COD2/COD4/COD:WAW clans were getting ready to move for MW2 with them buying new PC's and hyping each other. The news of no dedicated servers and no modding kinda killed it with fire. Summoning impressive amounts of rage among the community.

I think I will still buy the game on PC. Still looks impressive. But not for the multiplayer mode.

Solid said:

I agree with Shio on that one. COD4 sold really well on PC and PC games always continue selling for a long time (every Steam/D2D/Impulse users knows that). COD:MW2 was bound to sell a lot on PC because of the community that wanted to play/compete/have fun on MW2. Many COD/COD2/COD4/COD:WAW clans were getting ready to move for MW2 with them buying new PC's and hyping each other. The news of no dedicated servers and no modding kinda killed it with fire. Summoning impressive amounts of rage among the community.

I think I will still buy the game on PC. Still looks impressive. But not for the multiplayer mode.

Please don't feed his desperate speculation.  It really only take about 10-20k per week to stay in the top 10 games on Steam.

nightsurge said:
Solid said:

Please don't feed his desperate speculation.  It really only take about 10-20k per week to stay in the top 10 games on Steam.

You, sir, know nothing about PC gaming.

nightsurge said:

Now who's desperately speculating?