By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The FASTEST-GROWING game of all time is FARMVILLE (58 Million Players!!)

I've been forced to become a neighbour for some friends on FB. The amount of requests I get is ridiculous. I really hate this game!

Around the Network

I loved this game at first but I'm so sick of all the clicking and having to play it daily. I plant the crops that take the longest to grow now so I don't have to play it so much lol

Just another reason why I will not be joining facebook.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

wow people not on facebook still exist?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

We are few... and I would like to say mostly old but even they have been taken over.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
wow people not on facebook still exist?

I was for quite some time. The only reason I joined as of recent was because of the amount of people on facebook. It's a nice application but It gets a bit annoying that my friends have to post every few hours - like I need to know their every move lol.

Now that the 360 will intergrate with it in a few months. How many 360's will be playing farmville? ;)

It's just that simple.

this is game stealing nintendo casual sale :p.

all casuals in my school play farm ville.

monstasack, i dont think much, unless facebook implementation have all the browser, java script, flash features of full internet browser.

Onyxmeth said:
mrstickball said:
Erik Aston said:
http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/the-difference-between-customers-and-users/

Sean doesn't really relate that article to any specific games in the industry. Quite invalid, really.

Most of the social games have fantastic monetization structures. Average revenue per user varies from $0.30-$0.50 per user per month. If Farmville is averaging 50 million users a month, that means it makes anywhere from $15 million to $25 million a month. Not too bad given the costs shouldn't be too high, and they offer more than just Farmville.

What are the sources of revenue for Farmville? I ask because I've never played it and I'm curious as to how it is they're amounting between 25-50 million on a free Facebook application.

Most major social games use a 'free to play' model that involve an unlimited amount of microtransactions.

A few games that use this type are:

• Battlefield Heroes
  • Farmville
  • Mob Wars
  • Mobsters
  • Sorority Life

What happens is this:

Users are allowed to play the game for free, without issue. However, there are special promotional items that allow for better stats/abilities that can be only purchased via a transaction between the player and the host. Rather than state the item costs '$0.99 USD' they usually opt for coins or in game currency.

Players can get currency in one of 3 ways, usually:

• Play the game enough to earn it
  • Buy it via a credit card, paypal, or other means (Boki, PayByCa$h, ect)
  • Earn it via an affiliate program (by signing up for a survey which pays the host)

The advantage with this monetization structure vs. outright buying is the fact that the amount of money that can be gathered from a player is essentially unlimited. There is no set amount of cash that a player can purchase in a game, nor a set amount of items that the player can purchase.

It's a very innovative model, and it works very well for many users that would not otherwise purchase a video game, or content, as it offers content to those willing to work for it (in game, which may yield ad revenue), work for it outside the game (by doing an affiliate offer).

I work for a company that uses such methods. I can't really share exact data, but the fact is that there's a very small cross section between hardcore gamers that usually buy outright, and those that prefer the 'free' payment options. That is, that a company can meet the demand curve in a unique way via these types of schemes.

As for the '40 million farms vs. 58 million players' - if I read the article right, they state that there are 40 million farms created daily.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

It's wickedly addictive!
I blame my last gf! It wasn't enough for her to play the innocent, the naughty and be courted although we don't stay together anymore, she had to invite me to that darn game!!!

Edit:

tripleb2k said:
I loved this game at first but I'm so sick of all the clicking and having to play it daily. I plant the crops that take the longest to grow now so I don't have to play it so much lol

I have played it for less than two days now, and I too figured out I'll have to play this way.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Actually, I've seen that FarmVille is quite manageable, just don't seed after plowing and you can get a pause as long as you like without losing your virtual money. OTOH FBK aquarium games quickly become nagging and annoying, they are basically tamagotchis. In one I let all the fish die, in another I'm selling them, I'll just send back gifts to that ex-gf of mine that has a fixation for FBK and its apps.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!