By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "Supply expected to be tight" for 40GB PS3

TWRoO said:
Maybe selling factories to Toshiba slowed down supply of the Cell.

I recall reading that the factory will continue to be operated by Sony until March 2008.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

^oh.

maybe they are just pulling "a nintendo", by which i mean saying they are sold out all the time. which is kind of true for nintendo (it's usually reggie saying it so it's especially true in USA).

Sony says "40g will be supply limited"...oh wait, it's not Sony saying it by looking at the OP. *checks link*
ahh no wait, it is Sony; "However, sources say they have been warned by Sony reps that there will be production limitations on the new $399 PS3. Sony is expected to put most of its energy into generating its higher-end models, as they offer a better return on investment."
So they are intentionally making supply low.... GITS.

I hope they mean low supply and not high demand.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

let me guess, they will have the 40 gig in america this year, then when it doesn't sell well (even if they all sell out, sales will be far behind 80 gig) they will claim that people just wanted the 80 gig then they will lower the price on the 80 gig to 400 in fall 08 and have some $300 model for the 2008 holiday season that is gimped and supply constrained.

They just put out these models that they know will not sell well so that it looks like they have a low price when very few people actually will even want to buy them. They take much bigger losses on the 40 gig (same with the 20 gig) but they will probably only supply 1 40 gig for every 10 80 gigs.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

So everyone here is basing their bashing of Sony on this "source". Umm... if it isn't Jack Tretton or Kaz Hirai saying this about Sony, then why should anyone believe it?

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
So everyone here is basing their bashing of Sony on this "source". Umm... if it isn't Jack Tretton or Kaz Hirai saying this about Sony, then why should anyone believe it?

But why should we believe Jack "You cant find a PS3" Trenton or Kaz "60gb isnt dead" Hirai?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Sony still has a 40% share in the toshiba deal. Besides IBM is also producing the cell for Sony.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

@sinear

I'd definetly believe them over a "source", cuz there has been a lot of Sony bashing (agreeably so) but I don't think they'd announce a new model and take away features to only produce a little and force people to buy the $500 one. The point of taking away features and lowering the price was so that people who couldn't afford one, now could.

@DMeisterJ, didn't you read the part saying this comes from "Sony reps"?

johnsobas said:

They take much bigger losses on the 40 gig (same with the 20 gig) but they will probably only supply 1 40 gig for every 10 80 gigs.

If Sony actually does that, it'll be hard for me to decide whether I'm surprised by it or not!

One thing's for sure, it sounds like an extremely stupid plan considering that they really need to increase sales. And I don't see any excuse they can give considering they had many months to stockpile the higher-specced models, so they should be manufacturing 40 GB units only now! What do you guys think?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

johnsobas said:
They take much bigger losses on the 40 gig (same with the 20 gig) but they will probably only supply 1 40 gig for every 10 80 gigs.
Note that the 40G Model is about production batch number 4 or 5. I estimate the production costs of a 40G model to around $380 (-10%/+5%, depending on certain assumptions). So in Europe, this model already sells at a profit in many countries (in Switzerland, sales taxes are 6.5% and the model sells at $530 in shops, so the profit is actually quite high on this one).