By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - IGN :Wii Fit MUSCLES Past GTA (2nd best selling game of the decade in NA)

grapeape said:
Congrats to Nintendo, but I wonder how many of those are actually being used. I know at least a dozen people that have wii fit, but dont know any that played with it much past the holidays last year when they got it. Maybe all my friends are just lazy? Does anyone here still play theirs?

How many copies of GTA4 are currently still being played?

I'd guess Wii Fit actually has a lot more people playing the game then other games that have came out in a similar time period.

Around the Network
dolemit3 said:
Sounds like a pre-NPD damage control by Nintendo. The Wii sales must be low (relative to its last year) in September.

Didn't IGN pull the numbers and contact Nintendo for comment, or am I mistaken?  That kinda throws the 'damage control' notion out of the water if so.

KylieDog said:
I found Wii fit the biggest waste of time. 99% of the stuff you can just do anyway with a fitness video.

That image in the OP is a perfect example, remove the BB and what is different?

Can you send me a fitness video that tells me when I'm off balance while doing a Yoga pose? or that keeps track of my weight?

Signature goes here!

grapeape said:
Congrats to Nintendo, but I wonder how many of those are actually being used. I know at least a dozen people that have wii fit, but dont know any that played with it much past the holidays last year when they got it. Maybe all my friends are just lazy? Does anyone here still play theirs?

Who cares if they still play Wii Fit or not... why do you even care about that.  Should NPD subtract sales for every Wii Fit not in use?  lol!

Really, you guys should stop being so angry and bitter about the success of Wii Fit.  If Sony or Microsoft thought of it and got these results, I'm sure you guys would start showering it with praise (similar to how everyone embraces motion control now).

Kasz216 said:
grapeape said:

How many copies of GTA4 are currently still being played?

I'd guess Wii Fit actually has a lot more people playing the game then other games that have came out in a similar time period.

Go to a Gamestop and see how many used copies of GTA4 they have on the shelf (and in the backroom) ... then check the same for Wii Fit.

You will find that many more people seem to have kept Wii Fit -- so they at least can use it.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Geez what a sensitive bunch...just stated an observation, most I know barely put more than a few hours into it, i'll admit I havent. I think its a neat peripheral, just seems that like most home exercise equipment more people bought it than actually used it. In my house the board actually gets used but its for games other than wii fit.  I guess people would be offended if I mentioned that most wii owners I know picked up Wii Play simply for a cheap controller.

grapeape said:

Geez what a sensitive bunch...just stated an observation, most I know barely put more than a few hours into it, i'll admit I havent. I think its a neat peripheral, just seems that like most home exercise equipment more people bought it than actually used it. In my house the board actually gets used but its for games other than wii fit.  I guess people would be offended if I mentioned that most wii owners I know picked up Wii Play simply for a cheap controller.

I wouldn't be offended, but I would wonder why people wanting a cheap controller would pay $10 more than they have to.

You're right that a lot of exercise solutions end up gathering dust in a corner, but every now and then one of these solutions sticks with a person for one reason or another. I think that's worth something when that happens. I've done a lot of things for exercise in my life, but Wii Fit is the only thing which has ever gotten me to do 100 crunches.

If my Wii Fit was gathering dust (it isn't, over 127 hours logged since last Christmas), it would be a much less expensive misadventure than my friend's derelict treadmill or my sisters' underutilized gym memberships. I'd say that for anybody who isn't getting enough exercise, it's worth the risk. They might find that the feedback and interactivity will blunt the boredom of most home exercise.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

@ grapeape -

No one is being sensitive but you, really. You were the one who brought up whether or not Wii Fit is still used after it's purchased - which isn't relavant to the discussion at all.  Just shows you may be feeling a certain type of way about it outselling what might be your favorite types of games is all.

Kenology said:

@ grapeape -

No one is being sensitive but you, really. You were the one who brought up whether or not Wii Fit is still used after it's purchased - which isn't relavant to the discussion at all.  Just shows you may be feeling a certain type of way about it outselling what might be your favorite types of games is all.

Aditionally Wii Fit destroys said favorite games when it comes to being used after it's purchased.  Making it not only irrelevant but strengthining wii fit's case.  Not lowering it.

What has this world come to when you need video games to do exercise