By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is now a good time to buy a game system?

Soriku said:
leo-j said:
Im getting tired of old members comgin back with new accounts.. they need Ip banning... Im leaving this site until something is done.

Bye...?

The first time Soriku made a good joke. +10 for Soriku.

I would say get a DS. The games are better than anything you may find around the console territory. The price is great also.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

Just look on what type of games you like, and just go to game reviews site and watch videos of games, and choose your console :)

First of all, welcome to the forum :)

I think you should look at the games each platform offers right now and then decide if you want any of them. Don't count on titles with release dates more than a few weeks away, because those might:

- be cancelled for that platform
- be severely delayed (sometimes indefinitely)
- turn out to be something different from what was expected

I would also recommend that you think twice before buying a PS3 unless you don't like your money. The PS3 seems to be sinking (losing exclusives, unstable in terms of models being offered). Not a bet most people should take unless they're sure they won't regret it.

The Xbox 360 and the Wii seem pretty well guaranteed for the future. The Xbox 360 because it has good 3rd party support which has been getting stronger every passing week, and the Wii with its spectacular sales which are also attracting more and more 3rd parties (besides its 1st party games which would probably be enough to attract many people by themselves).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Its a good time to buy a DS. Its cheap and has like 80 really good games on it. Same with PS2.

360,Wii and (espically)PS3 will go down in cost soon enough.

In fact drop what you are doing and buy a DS its the best system out right now. 

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Welcome to vgChartz!

Let's look at each console:

PS3:  Right now the future is very uncertain for this console and prices are dropping rapidly.  It seems to be getting price cuts all the time.  It needs to prove it can survive and find a comfortable price to settle on.  Until it does both, you're better off shying away from this one unless it really has some games you like.

360:  It has a very nice library but will likely see some price slashing soon in response to the PS3's aggressive price cutting.  You may also wish to wait a bit longer as Microsoft frequently changes out the hardware under the 360's hood making it likely to be more stable the longer you wait to buy one.

Wii:  Easily the cheapest console of the 3 and the one that "looks" like a winner this generation.  If you like playing games with your friends, this may be the console to look at.  Due to its wild success, it doesn't look like it has a price cut in its near future so buying it now or later won't matter.

However, after looking at your profile, I wouldn't recommend any of them.  Your profile says your top three favorite games are:  Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon Red, and Kirby Superstar.  After seeing these, I'd recommend the Nintendo DS.

1.  Kingdom Hearts is going to be appearing on the Nintendo DS in the form of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.
2.  Pokemon lives on the Nintendo DS these days.
3.  Kirby Superstar is rumored to be being remade on the Nintendo DS.

If you buy a Nintendo DS:

1.  It will be cheaper than buying a console.
2.  It will be portable (take it with you wherever).
3.  It will already have a massive library of games to choose from.  You'll definitely find something you like.
4.  It will have the sequels to your favorite games.

Again, welcome to vgChartz.  ^_^

PS:  Awesome avatar.  It's really cute.

Around the Network

Wii is your best bet. PS2 is another great choice, its the cheapest option with the largest library but is last gen so don't expect too much else comming out for it in the future. 360 is good but I'd wait till the Falcon units were standard everywhere. The Ps3... Just wait two months and a cheaper SKU will be out, simple as that.

Also looking at your profile, I recommend the DS as well. It seems to match your gaming preferences more than anything else. In home consoles, my honest view is:

Wii: Wait 6 months. You'll have Galaxy, Smash, some good 3rd party games, and Mario Kart and and many others right around the corner. You'll also have the launch of Wii Ware which looks to have some great cheap priced games.

PS3: Wait until it looks like it can maintain acceptable sales. By maintain I mean you obviously don't want to look at sales right after the price drop as necessarily permanent. So, like WoW said, we need to see if it can survive.

360: Without question the best game library right now, but there are some reports of falcons overheating coming out now. This means that even the newer models MAY not be fixed. Like the Wii, wait 6 months. We need to see if the reports keep coming and getting more frequent or not. There also may be another fix announced in that time.

PSP: It's a little lacking right now in genre diversity. Most of it's best games are sports, racers, and shooters. However, if you like to play old games, it's a pocket emulator so you can carry around all your old favorites with you. I use mine for this purpose.

DS: This system covers every one of your favorite games. It's cheap, it's got good battery life, it covers a great variety of genres (except Shooter), and has the vast majority of announced current and future 3rd party support. Get this.

Those are my opinions. Welcome to VGChartz!

No, wait till the holiday season. The PS3 price will have dropped and 360 bundles will be avaialbe.

Welcome to VGChartz!

Okay here is my rundown:

PSP: Has a promising future with Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, God of War: Chain of Memories, a Devil May Cry and GT Mobile and many more. Price point is $180 for a core or $200 for Daxter or Star Wars Battlefront. Which ever bundle or package you get you get a new PSP Slim. Also plays music, videos and can browse on the Internet through WiFi.

DS: Has the best games in my opinion, there is nothing else to say but that the DS has the biggest library, it satisfies your gaming needs. Price point is $130.

PS3: Promising future, good line-up this holiday season with releases of Ratchet and Clank and Eye of Judgement, Guitar Hero 3, Stranglehold, Call of Duty 4, The Star Wars Lego: Complete Saga and many others. Price point $380 for 20GB, $400 for 40GB, $500 for 80GB. Decent buy now.

360: Well this is a excellent console to buy now. Very excellent games with the future being promising. Great games, such as Halo 3 and many more. My hands are starting to hurt from typing. Price point: 360 Arcade at $280, 360 Premium at $350 and 360 Elite at $450.

Wii: Must-have excellent line-up, a really good future-proof console. Price point is $250. Just make sure you can find them. Nintendo is going to be short this holiday season.

This might be a good time to buy a XBOX 360 and Wii but if you're looking for a PS3 I recommend maybe waiting a little longer as i believe the price will drop yet further in the year to come. And the best games haven't been released yet for PS3 either

@ W29

For PSP it's God of War Cains of Olympus not Chain of Memories.