By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will almost certainly beat 360

and what position do you hold with sony?

art is the excrement of culture

Around the Network
davygee said:
ironman said:

I'm not discounting the PS3s linup, it just doesn't seem to be as good or extensive as the 360 lineup.

Can you tell me what this extensive 360 lineup is for the next few quarters?

I can only think of a handful of games.

Cheers in advance

lol, The next few quarters? Oh wait, I see what you are doing...hardly objective. Lets look at the entire linup that I was refering to....that should give you a little more perspective as to where I was coming from.

Mass Effect 2 - Jan 2010

Alan Wake - 2010

Fable 3 - 2010

Crackdown2 - 2010

Halo: Reach - 2010

Kingdom Under Fire - 2010

Mech Wariorr - 2010

APB (All Points Bulletin) - 2010

Left for dead 2 - Nov 17th 2009

Forza3 -  Oct. 27th 2009

Dreamkiller - 2009

Ninty-Nine Knights II - ?

Sherlock Holms vs. Jack the ripper - ?

Supreme Commander - ?

The Precursers - ?

Venetica - ?

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - ?

Huxly: Dystopia - ?

The Secret World - ?

And that is not counting any unannounced games.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Mass Effect 2, Forza 3, Alan Wake & Left 4 Dead 2 are the only games coming out over the next 6-8 months and will be big for the 360.

Fable 3 has been very quiet and is likely to be a late 2010 release, cos don't forget thet Molyneax's team  is working on Natal stuff just now.

Crackdown 2 will be big but not out til late 2010 along with Halo Reach if its' out at all in 2010.

Mech Warrior, Dreamkiller and Kingdom Under Fire - Mmmm...small games that nobody really knows anything about.

So in reality it's only the games that are out in the next 6-8 months that matter TBH as Sony has loads of games that may very well appear late next year.  Sony on the other hand has Ratchet & Clank, just released Uncharted 2 and has GT5, GOW3 & Heavy Rain for the next 6 months alone and don't forget that Japan gets FFXIII this year.  There's also Agent, FFXIII Versus & FFXIV that could make an appearance late next year.  Add to this there are quite a few unannounced games and the huge Last Guardian which will come out next year as well.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:

Mass Effect 2, Forza 3, Alan Wake & Left 4 Dead 2 are the only games coming out over the next 6-8 months and will be big for the 360.

Fable 3 has been very quiet and is likely to be a late 2010 release, cos don't forget thet Molyneax's team  is working on Natal stuff just now.

Crackdown 2 will be big but not out til late 2010 along with Halo Reach if its' out at all in 2010.

Mech Warrior, Dreamkiller and Kingdom Under Fire - Mmmm...small games that nobody really knows anything about.

So in reality it's only the games that are out in the next 6-8 months that matter TBH as Sony has loads of games that may very well appear late next year.  Sony on the other hand has Ratchet & Clank, just released Uncharted 2 and has GT5, GOW3 & Heavy Rain for the next 6 months alone and don't forget that Japan gets FFXIII this year.  There's also Agent, FFXIII Versus & FFXIV that could make an appearance late next year.  Add to this there are quite a few unannounced games and the huge Last Guardian which will come out next year as well.

erm, no, Sony's announced exclusives really are not that exciting. they have a few good ones coming out, but MS has just as many. I don't really think Exclusives is going to be a huge deal here because both systems have loads of good ones (even if  idon't think they are good, other people will) and that is what I am getting at. but, since I listed all known exclusives for the 360, how about you do the same for the PS3, then we can compair.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Great job Sony you did something in over three years that Nintendo did in less then seven month.

Around the Network
uber said:
it is a true testimony to the power of invincible ignorance when after 4 years of this gen the 360 can be getting trounced in weekly sales, yet its fans are still talking about how it will turn it around and claim 2nd.

it's like half of the m$ fans want to hurry up and start the next gen to get another early lead that won't last, and the other half are frantically rubbing trolls' bellies hoping natal descends from heaven and saves them from their gaming sins.

$ony has the lead now, but MS has tricks up their sleeve that $ony just won't be able to counter, do you really think $ony can keep up with the sales once the new Natal console comes out, I bet we will see yet another pricecut at that time for the other SKUs. The only reason $ony is doing so well right now is because they released a "new" console with a pricecut. They may come close to the 360 in sales by the end of the gen, but beat it...very doubtful.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Damnyouall said:
Citan said:
coolbeans said:
Citan said:
coolbeans said:
Citan said:
Considering all the xbox give-aways after red ring of death failures, PS3 has allready beat btox.

You do realize this is a videogame SALES tracking website, right?  Think before you post

Nonono amigo. When a store sell one xbox and give away another it`s considered a sale. The failure one is trashed.

I know because I own a shop. You have to register the one given away.

You do realize the more major game retailers push harder for PS3 giveaways then 360, right (Wii the most of course)? Just pointing that out

???

To try to answer your argument? xbox have a enormous failure rate. We can agree on that? When one is red ringed the person goes back to the shop;

"Hey, this is broken."

"Here a new one for ye. Just let me register it."

"pling, pling"

Then it`s considered as another sale. The customer that were complaining have "bought" two btox.

Just keep that in mind when people are bragging about salesnumbers.

So here my question for ye: What do you mean by push harder for PS3 giveaways?

I`m not talking about a quiz where you can win a console.

According to the people who replied here, this is nonsense. Store replacements do not count as sales.

As a manager in shop I can CONFIRM it counts. When a shop buys stuff from i.e Sony, it belongs to the shop. When you sell it for 0 or 400 $ it is registrated as a sale. You have one less of the object in the store.

Then you can complain to sony for a bad product and the shop gets a refund.

Damnyouall said:

It already has in Japan and is about to in Europe. Quite impressive, considering 360 had a one-year headstart.

MS has yet to even respond to the recent PS3 price drop. All they did was get rid of the $400 console. Prices even went up in some places.

If anything is impressive it would be that MS is still ahead of PS3 by a large amount. Did anyone think a MS console would dominate a Sony console this generation?

The headstart argument is dumb by the way. Genesis came first, SNES beat it. Saturn came first, PS1 beat it 10 fold. PS2 beat the competitors combined 3 fold because it was the best console.

PS3 would have failed no matter when it was released because the masses don't want to pay $600, $500, or even $400 for a game console. Sony has been the most successful console manufacturer and even they couldn't get away with that pricing. Even if the PS3 outsells the 360, it's still a failure because it pissed away a fortune of Sony's money and hurt the brand.

ironman said:
uber said:
it is a true testimony to the power of invincible ignorance when after 4 years of this gen the 360 can be getting trounced in weekly sales, yet its fans are still talking about how it will turn it around and claim 2nd.

it's like half of the m$ fans want to hurry up and start the next gen to get another early lead that won't last, and the other half are frantically rubbing trolls' bellies hoping natal descends from heaven and saves them from their gaming sins.

$ony has the lead now, but MS has tricks up their sleeve that $ony just won't be able to counter, do you really think $ony can keep up with the sales once the new Natal console comes out, I bet we will see yet another pricecut at that time for the other SKUs. The only reason $ony is doing so well right now is because they released a "new" console with a pricecut. They may come close to the 360 in sales by the end of the gen, but beat it...very doubtful.

once again...more speculation with no evidence.  if we are to go that route, then i think the wand and 3D games will blow the 360 away.  it makes no sense to talk like that.

if you want to argue that the 360 will be back on top then you have to do two things:

1. argue that sony sales will drop to the point where the 360 could plausibly reach them.

2. argue why the 360's sales will jump up considerably.

it appears that the baseline sales for the slim will be in excess of 200k a week.  i see no reason why natal will boost sales that much.  people will not rush out and buy it in droves until there is some killer software for it.  do you know of any?  i don't.  everyone i've talked to thinks the same as i do....gimmick.  the numbers have supported my conclusion for some time now that the public was buying up the 360 because the ps3 was too high.  now that it is not there is not nearly as much reason to get a 360....and that is what we are seeing with sales.  this might be the first year 360 sees a drop over christmas.

art is the excrement of culture

As i said before....

Without this price cut PS3 was about to be crushed sales wise. They were falling further and further behind. Sony were the ones who had to change that. And they did. They brought out the slim version and cut the price by a lot. They are now first and doing well, they deserve to be there for the hard work they have put into it. Right now PS3 has the better games and has the better features. That price in my book is now a bargain.
But how will it be in a years time when it has been on sale for 12 months at that price?
They had the games and the price drop but only sold 100k more almost then the 360 in US. That is not a good sign.

It means the PS3 could drop back to saturation point quicker then expected i.e meaning the 360 and PS3 sell nearly on par.

So lets say the PS3 by say august 2010 has clawed back 2m units on the 360 meaning a difference of an average of a gap of 41k a week. At that point the 360 will still be 5m units ahead of the PS3.
What can Sony then do at that point to keep it going? They just invested heavily on a new model and a price drop. Will they be able to drop price again in 12 months time? Probably not. They will do as Microsoft have done this year and concentrate on bundle type deals for new games.

So then August 2010 comes around with the 360 5m units ahead. Microsoft then decide to bring in these new features they have i.e stuff for facebook etc. They release Natal which will estimated be just £25 due to simply being a camera, no need for controllers etc. And then they drop properly for the first time in 2 years by £50. Meaning a 360 will cost £99.

How would PS3 do if that happened?

The obvious answer is the 360 would re-gain back all those sales that it lost in the next year and then some.

So yes, enjoy the current PS3 numbers, be happy about the way it is right now. But don't be silly in thinking Microsoft are done. They have 3 huge cards to play in Natal, a £99 price tag and things such as Sky Tv on it etc..

Microsoft right now don't need to do anything at all. They are not under any pressure to do anything right now. Where as Sony are. If the price drop and new console release did not do what it is doing now then they would of been out of the competition this xmas. They were the ones who had to fight to save their lives and they did. Microsoft are nowhere near that period.