By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I believe the USED market may hurt the 360 and PS2 come the holidays

angrypoolman said:
@Khuutra - Thanks for making that point clear, because I didn't understand what the hell he was saying. Uhh.. Im sorry you think I am some sort of nightmare image. hahaha, but the managers there actually enjoy my service, believe it or not. I once got a family to spend over 500 dollars on Nintendo shit when they were buying a Wii. My manager was pleased. So it seems:
Forums - I'm a nightmare
Work - I'm a God.

@ Montana- Nintendo doesn't sell the most software at GameStop. Wii and DS are actually on the bottom when it comes to software sales.

This is what I want you to do: Go into a GameStop and ask the manager of that store what sells the most software. Most GameStops will tell you it's 360.

Nintendo material at gamestop is usually highly priced when I look at it. I'm still surprised when I find games like mario party 5 (used) being sold for 30-35 dollars. Even DS games, which are cheapish to begin with, are close to their original value. Wii games like Warioware smooth moves has been at 40 dollars since it first came out in my local gamestop. Basically, I tend to buy new games from nintendo simply becaues the price difference isn't all that steep to begin with.

The ps2/360 games are by far the cheapest- which is why I'm sure they are the most frequently sold. Big name titles are usually in the 10 dollar bin or in the 15 dollar range.

Perhaps this has to do with the fact that nintendo has no "greatest hits" or "best seller" or whatever the nifty title is for games that have sold well and have their price cut to sell well again.

Around the Network
Orca_Azure said:
angrypoolman said:
@Khuutra - Thanks for making that point clear, because I didn't understand what the hell he was saying. Uhh.. Im sorry you think I am some sort of nightmare image. hahaha, but the managers there actually enjoy my service, believe it or not. I once got a family to spend over 500 dollars on Nintendo shit when they were buying a Wii. My manager was pleased. So it seems:
Forums - I'm a nightmare
Work - I'm a God.

@ Montana- Nintendo doesn't sell the most software at GameStop. Wii and DS are actually on the bottom when it comes to software sales.

This is what I want you to do: Go into a GameStop and ask the manager of that store what sells the most software. Most GameStops will tell you it's 360.

Nintendo material at gamestop is usually highly priced when I look at it. I'm still surprised when I find games like mario party 5 (used) being sold for 30-35 dollars. Even DS games, which are cheapish to begin with, are close to their original value. Wii games like Warioware smooth moves has been at 40 dollars since it first came out in my local gamestop. Basically, I tend to buy new games from nintendo simply becaues the price difference isn't all that steep to begin with.

The ps2/360 games are by far the cheapest- which is why I'm sure they are the most frequently sold. Big name titles are usually in the 10 dollar bin or in the 15 dollar range.

Perhaps this has to do with the fact that nintendo has no "greatest hits" or "best seller" or whatever the nifty title is for games that have sold well and have their price cut to sell well again.

Yea, I especially love that about Nintendo. In almost 3 years, Twilight Princess has recieved ONE five dollar price drop. All the Nintendo published games are really expensive. It makes it even easier to manipulate consumers into buying it new.

RolStoppable said:
Why is what angrypoolman said such a big issue? I have read worse things on this forum, like a PS3 fan saying that he spent several hours each weekend at Walmart on his own (so not working there) to convince random people to buy Blu-Ray, not HD-DVD.

1,000th POST!!!!!!!!!!111

RolStoppable said:
Why is what angrypoolman said such a big issue? I have read worse things on this forum, like a PS3 fan saying that he spent several hours each weekend at Walmart on his own (so not working there) to convince random people to buy Blu-Ray, not HD-DVD.

I can tell you why it makes me angry. I work in retail at wal-mart. I was in electronics for over a year and have been in photo lab since then. I consider his behavior unprofessional. I love Nintendo also, but it is unethical to manipulate customers. People would often ask me which is the best system and I tried to find their likes/dislikes, tv setup, internet setup, and a list of pro/cons for each system. I never once argued someone get a Wii over another system because i Liked it most. If someone loves fps and and racing games then I could show them the games we had for each system in those genres and let that person decide.I believe it is in the best interest of my job/the company to have the customer happy with the purcahse and informed of his options.

I guess it's like someone who is a waiter gets annoyed at poor service at a restaruant.  It's a pet peeve.

@ topic- I don't really think there will be a major impact on used. We will stock more new consoles than the gamestops in town will sell of used and new combined. I can only imagine it is the same for target and best buy. When Christmas comes we will be all sold out of the new consoles for every system. Christmas is good for everyone in retail - except the schmuck behind the counter on black friday. ... Weee!

@Rol - I finally started watching Kim possible. I'm late to the party, but I get it now.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

valen200 said:
RolStoppable said:

I can tell you why it makes me angry. I work in retail at wal-mart. I was in electronics for over a year and have been in photo lab since then. I consider his behavior unprofessional. I love Nintendo also, but it is unethical to manipulate customers. People would often ask me which is the best system and I tried to find their likes/dislikes, tv setup, internet setup, and a list of pro/cons for each system. I never once argued someone get a Wii over another system because i Liked it most. If someone loves fps and and racing games then I could show them the games we had for each system in those genres and let that person decide.I believe it is in the best interest of my job/the company to have the customer happy with the purcahse and informed of his options.

I guess it's like someone who is a waiter gets annoyed at poor service at a restaruant.  It's a pet peeve.

@ topic- I don't really think there will be a major impact on used. We will stock more new consoles than the gamestops in town will sell of used and new combined. I can only imagine it is the same for target and best buy. When Christmas comes we will be all sold out of the new consoles for every system. Christmas is good for everyone in retail - except the schmuck behind the counter on black friday. ... Weee!

@Rol - I finally started watching Kim possible. I'm late to the party, but I get it now.

Manipulation is the name of the game when it comes to retail. They will admit this to you. (although they don't like the term manipulation, that is what it is.)

Ok really, if somebody were a fan of FPS, I would recommend them a 360... a used one, but nevertheless a 360. I would also tell them about the PS3 and the Wii. The Wii, has a completely different way to play FPSs but they have less of them. 360 has an abundance of them with beautiful graphics and a great controller for them.

You are making up scenarios in your head that don't exist. If somebody comes to me and a 360 is the best console for them, im not going to recommend them a fucking Wii, it'll just make them hate Nintendo and GameStop even more. Chances are that they would sell it and buy a 360 anyway.

Around the Network
angrypoolman said:
valen200 said:
RolStoppable said:

Manipulation is the name of the game when it comes to retail. They will admit this to you. (although they don't like the term manipulation, that is what it is.)

Ok really, if somebody were a fan of FPS, I would recommend them a 360... a used one, but nevertheless a 360. I would also tell them about the PS3 and the Wii. The Wii, has a completely different way to play FPSs but they have less of them. 360 has an abundance of them with beautiful graphics and a great controller for them.

You are making up scenarios in your head that don't exist. If somebody comes to me and a 360 is the best console for them, im not going to recommend them a fucking Wii, it'll just make them hate Nintendo and GameStop even more. Chances are that they would sell it and buy a 360 anyway.

I dont understand..

mM
leo-j said:
angrypoolman said:
valen200 said:
RolStoppable said:

I dont understand..

If I managed to convince somebody to buy a Wii when a 360 would suit them best, they would come to find out that the Wii isn't in line with their tastes and would most likely sell it back at GameStop to buy a 360 or PS3 instead. That would create a problem for me because we would have a used Wii in my store that is going to get sold in a matter of days. (We don't get many used Wiis at my store.)

angrypoolman said:
valen200 said:
RolStoppable said:

Manipulation is not required to be a good salesperson. Or at the very least, when you do not work for comission manipulation is entirely unneeded. I honestly don't know the pay sytem of gamestop.  And it is unethical to manipulate someones choices by giving them an edited portion of the pros and cons. It is called a lie of omission.

Every once in a while I will ask salespeople from other chains questions on a subject that I have a background in just to see what advice they give me. The ones that try to steer me too strongly in any given direction are the chains I avoid.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

valen200 said:
angrypoolman said:
valen200 said:
RolStoppable said:

Manipulation is not required to be a good salesperson. Or at the very least, when you do not work for comission manipulation is entirely unneeded. I honestly don't know the pay sytem of gamestop.  And it is unethical to manipulate someones choices by giving them an edited portion of the pros and cons. It is called a lie of omission.

Every once in a while I will ask salespeople from other chains questions on a subject that I have a background in just to see what advice they give me. The ones that try to steer me too strongly in any given direction are the chains I avoid.

I don't know what else to say at this point except.. sorry.. i guess. =[

I am guilty of the whole 'lie of omission' thing you have described, I guess that in some way makes me a bad salesperson, but all I know is that I sell a bunch of shit.

I got a used PS2 but I would never get a used 360.

I got an arcade and I think most will do the same.