By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Beautiful Katamari

rocketpig said:
Kn, what do you think of the controls, camera, and co-op? Something seems different from the PS2 versions. The game seems harder to control.

And co-op, well, I almost destroyed my controller and my marriage trying to play it last night. :D

Hey Rocket... I didn't get enough time to really play it much last night so mine is really a first impression.  I did notice that the camera jumps behind walls way too much inside the little "shop" which drove me nuts.  The controls seem about on par with the demo and are a little frustrating but once you get used to them it isn't that bad.  I didn't even know the game had a co-op mode, lol.  I'll try it tonight.

To expand on the controls a bit I don't think that they are bad in the sense that the game doesn't do what you are asking it's just that they seem sluggish and not terribly responsive.  I know you are controlling a big gob of stuff, but the whole thing is crazy unrealistic to being with so a little more control over your giant ball of stuff would have been better in my opinion...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Here is my take on the game:

http://www.theancientgamer.com/index.php?/site/comments/beautiful_katamari/

I didn't like it much. It's not my best piece of writing (I'm a little frazzled from the non-stop gaming lately) but it gets the point across.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Pig,

Thanks for the writeup... I tried the co-op control think and unless one is stoned, drunk, stupid, or some combination of the three, the co-op is not enjoyable. My daughter likes the game, though, so I guess that's all that counts.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I passed on buying it at the Toys R US buy 2 get one free sale. I really liked the first game, enjoyed the second but somehow paying $40 this time for a game that really hasn't evolved much didn't sit well with me. Maybe when it hits the bargain bin I'll pick up a copy.

Rocketpig, I almost get the impression that you don't understand the "tank treads" controls in Katamari. They're tricky, but they're nowhere near as bad as you make them out to be. Do you know about the quick-turnaround feature?

Around the Network
Entroper said:
Rocketpig, I almost get the impression that you don't understand the "tank treads" controls in Katamari. They're tricky, but they're nowhere near as bad as you make them out to be. Do you know about the quick-turnaround feature?

I do understand the tank tread controls but I think they suck. I don't know how else to put it. :D

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

It does take a while to get used to it. I enjoyed playing the demo over and over again trying to get the biggest ball possible.

I was planning on purchasing the game but then learned of the $10 DLC (map pack) they released before the game was even released.

Apparently they had time to add the achievement, something like 200 points to beat the DLC, but not enough time to add the maps.

Their's also rumour that the DLC is actually just an unlock code and that the maps are already on the disc.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

hey Rocket

FYI- Katamary is a budget title.. I really hope you didn't spend $60 on it.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

rocketpig said:
Entroper said:

I do understand the tank tread controls but I think they suck. I don't know how else to put it. :D

Well if you're spending 30 seconds staring at a wall, you're doing something wrong.

what consoles are it on?