By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox360 RROD not 50%, apparently 30%

Slimebeast said:

I believe it could be 30% in suveys among hardcore gamers, but those numbers are always overexaggerated because the people with hardware problems are more inclined to reply in these surveys. Remember that people are lying too, to make the X360 look bad. They can claim they own a X360 who RROD, but no one can check.  True number could be less than 25% among hardcore gamers.

And if all gamers are included - casuals too - RROD rate is below 20% I would think.

Even a 15% failure rate is pretty high.  I say, 5% and below is a solid console.  15-20% is ridiculously high.

Around the Network
geddesmond2 said:
Somini said:
geddesmond2 said:
Somini said:
@geddesmond2,

You do know that you can just NOT comment when you have NOTHING valuable to say!!

Oh so planetxboxs survey is valueable then. 30% of the people they asked had rrod. 80% of people i asked experianced rrod. Whats the differance

Without any disrespect, but if you don't know what the difference is, then i shouldn't bother explaining it to you because you won't understand it anyways.

I'm hoping that you do explain the differance because I think both of those surveys can't be held accountable

No survey, whatever it is that is being researched, can ask everyone who is envolved in the matter. That is just how surveys work. So let's just get that out of the way. A conclusion based on the answers and experiences of 1000 participants is much more accurate than a survey held between 5 people!

Also the reason why a lot of people see their result as more valuable, is just like how most people would trust a review from IGN on some game more than they would trust it if you were the reviewer.

Somini said:
geddesmond2 said:
Somini said:
geddesmond2 said:
Somini said:
@geddesmond2,

You do know that you can just NOT comment when you have NOTHING valuable to say!!

Oh so planetxboxs survey is valueable then. 30% of the people they asked had rrod. 80% of people i asked experianced rrod. Whats the differance

Without any disrespect, but if you don't know what the difference is, then i shouldn't bother explaining it to you because you won't understand it anyways.

I'm hoping that you do explain the differance because I think both of those surveys can't be held accountable

No survey, whatever it is that is being researched, can ask everyone who is envolved in the matter. That is just how surveys work. So let's just get that out of the way. A conclusion based on the answers and experiences of 1000 participants is much more accurate than a survey held between 5 people!

Also the reason why a lot of people see their result as more valuable, is just like how most people would trust a review from IGN on some game more than they would trust it if you were the reviewer.

Isnt that really the point. I quote "*This study was completed over the past three months, across multiple states, thousands of phone calls, and countless online survey entries; however no study of this type can be exact without official RRoD repair numbers from Microsoft – take this information as is, with no warranty.*"   

No mention of actual numbers make this a pointless study just as my "study" of five friends. I have always perscribed to about 50% becouse when i ask peoplle who own a 360 more than half have had RRoD. If it was possable to do a proper study on this site it would be great but as always studys are squde by fan boys on both sides of the fence.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

30% is still very high.

Procrastinato said:

Ooh. Okay don't click this if you can't find some humor in the whole RRoD thing. I found this while trying to dig up those messed up Sony ads from Chile earlier today.

Its pretty funny... unless you can understand German, then the humor will be kinda lost on you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JgWpK_5W9o

That Hitler reaction isn't nearly as funny as some others I've seen.  Ostensibly it's about MAG, but they just spent the whole time bashing the 360.  Zero creativity.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
Pipedream24 said:
The RROD topic needs to go away. Microsoft admitted there was a problem, rectified it (something no other console manufacturer has done), and revised the hardware to minimize future cases. Why the media won't get over it is beyond me.

Besides, anyone who's been gaming through the generations knows that consoles die (maybe not as quickly as the 360). I've had to replace my Intellivision, NES, Genesis, TG-16, PS1, Dreamcast and PS2. My 360 RROD after 3 years which is just about as long as both my PS1 and PS2 lasted. It took Sony 3 consoles to make a high quality product like the PS3. Hopefully the 3rd time's a charm for Microsoft as well.

That's your personal experience. My SNES, N64, PS2 all still work. Maybe try taking better care of your things.

You mean I shouldn't throw my console and dump soda on it... Thanks for the help.

Notice how I didn't list the SNES,N64,and Gamecube are not on that list.  It wasn't because I didn't own them.  Nintendo builds the highest quality systems, without question.  You should feel lucky that none of your consoles stopped working.  I just know that my personal experience and many others I know have all had to replace consoles one time or another. 

I think its probably between the two studies. 45%

I don't know a single person with a 360 that has not had to have it fixed/replaced at least once.

So, *maybe* RROD was only 33% or 1/3 of people, total failures is a lot higher since 360's failed for many reasons.

Either way its completely unacceptable and WAY out of the normal range of failures for anything.

Now, the latest versions seem to be a lot better as all my friends who have simply bought new ones have all had no issues since.

Well I believe it was reported to be around 35% by some guys that sold warranties. Those should be pretty solid numbers.

On the other hand I thought the 50% number was high at first but when I looked at the other numbers it didn't look like it was inflated by fanboys. Only 4% said they wouldn't purchase something from Microsoft again.

This kind of article blows me away.

First it blows me away that any product with any sort of popularity can maintain that popularity in the face of a massive failure rate present here. "Only" 33%?! That is a huge number and points to an exceedingly shoddily made device. I would lay money cheap Chinese clone systems are more reliable.

What's even more insane is that people, upon being scammed with a defective product, perhaps even multiple times, are willing to put down more money on THE SAME DEFECTIVE POS. I know a lot of people are idiots, but come on.

FWIW, I've owned lots of consoles and handhelds, from Pong to Wii. I've never had one break on me. Yes, my stupid crappy original (bought at launch) Playstation, which was covered in dust for years except for occasional SotN cravings, did screw up sometimes, but even it didn't have this kind of problem.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

chamelean75 said:
Slimebeast said:

I believe it could be 30% in suveys among hardcore gamers, but those numbers are always overexaggerated because the people with hardware problems are more inclined to reply in these surveys. Remember that people are lying too, to make the X360 look bad. They can claim they own a X360 who RROD, but no one can check.  True number could be less than 25% among hardcore gamers.

And if all gamers are included - casuals too - RROD rate is below 20% I would think.

Even a 15% failure rate is pretty high.  I say, 5% and below is a solid console.  15-20% is ridiculously high.

I agree.