By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Graphics Outdated by 2011!!

Wii has ~729mhz IBM Power 3 RISC CPU, x-box is ~733 Mhz intel pentium 3 CPU so cycle for cycle the Wii is twice the speed of the x-boxl.
Lemme put my two cents into it too. Yeah, as a general rule of thumb, you have to multiply RISC (IBM's Reduced Instruction Set Computing) by about 2 (though i've heard numbers as high as 2.5) to get a comparable CISC (Intel's Complex Instruction Set Computing) performance level. Imagine that you're moving and you have to haul 1000 pounds of bricks and take it from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I have a Ferrari (a Pentium) that can haul 500 lbs at a time, but can go 100 mph. At the same time, i also have a Ford Truck (a PowerPC) that can haul all 1000 lbs of it at a time, but can only go 50 mph. Ignoring the fact that the Ferrari would have to make a return trip in order to pick up another load of bricks (which would effectively destroy my analogy), the Ford Truck, even though much slower than the Ferrari, can do twice as much work per trip. To make things even Murkier, you have to also take things into consideration like Bus Speeds, RAM speeds, Hard Drive Speed, Cache, etc. etc. so its almost impossible to make a definite comparison between Pentium and RISC So I think the 360 has something like a 3.1 Ghz PowerPC chip in there (or three? I forget), which pretty much blows away whatever the Wii has. By the way, I've always argued that the GC was just as powerful as the Xbox, on account of this RISC vs. Pentium comparison. Didn't the GC have a 400 Mhz PowerPC chip as opposed to Xbox's 733 Mhz Pentium? ::EDIT:: and also everyone appreciates good graphics, but I know my fair share of people who still play old SNES RPGs on err....... legal backups of games they originally own..... And also things like XBLA and Virtual Console wouldn't exist if graphics were the only thing that mattered

Around the Network

Isn't it safe to say that the Wii's graphics are by far ALREADY 'out-dated'?

i guess so. I think I would argue that HD is the "in" thing right now. And that standard def TV's are "out-dated." Since Wii is only standard def, then its "out-dated" as well. It's a pretty set point that Wii is outdated, underpowered, and doesn't compare to PS3 and XBox360 in terms of graphics. It only look good if it creates cartooney games that aren't meant to look life-like. But I guess the big question is whether or not HD is mainstream or not. I would argue "no" and here's why: A good indicator of something's ubiquity is by looking at what's at Wal-Mart. I would argue that a low end HDTV would go for ~500 bucks. HD will not be in the mainstream until you can get an HDTV at the mass market price, which is ~100-200 dollars. At that price point, it is no different than the price of a standard def, so joe-schmoe will might as well get the HD. ___ On a side note, I believe that catering to the high end market is a pretty smart move if you can do it correctly. If someone has like a 60 inch 1080p HDTV, then that person would have no problem plunking down a bunch of money for a PS3 and all the games for it. That person has a lot of money, and won't flinch at spending it to get the fullest experience out of his investments. On the other hand, Joe Schmoe at Walmart with his 100 dollar TV probably won't be able to buy 10 games for his Wii. Maybe 1 game or so every 6 months, if that. The other big question is: How many Joe Schmoes are out there in relation to Rich Videophile HDTV guy?

That Guy said: i guess so. I think I would argue that HD is the "in" thing right now. And that standard def TV's are "out-dated." Since Wii is only standard def, then its "out-dated" as well. It's a pretty set point that Wii is outdated, underpowered, and doesn't compare to PS3 and XBox360 in terms of graphics. It only look good if it creates cartooney games that aren't meant to look life-like. On a side note, I believe that catering to the high end market is a pretty smart move if you can do it correctly. If someone has like a 60 inch 1080p HDTV, then that person would have no problem plunking down a bunch of money for a PS3 and all the games for it. That person has a lot of money, and won't flinch at spending it to get the fullest experience out of his investments. On the other hand, Joe Schmoe at Walmart with his 100 dollar TV probably won't be able to buy 10 games for his Wii. Maybe 1 game or so every 6 months, if that.
Wasnt that being a bit (or extremely) harsh? to say cartoony grahics are it for the Wii is way harsh. yes, its graphics are not as good as the amazing xbox and PS3, but it still has good graphics. its still way better than any of the last gens, and i do not recall durring the last gens anyone saying, "these consoles shouldnt try and do real life stuff, and just stick with cartoony graphics. anything more is playing with FIRE!" No, no one would ever suggest that. and to say that Wiis graphics are outdated is stupid as well. they may not be AS GOOD AS 360 and PS3, but they are not that far behind and are still really good. some of you seem like you are trying to suggest nintendo went back to pixles. they still upgraded the graphics for their next gen console, (Wii) they just focused on the important stuff more. i.e: gameplay.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Okay, compare God of War 2 to any new Wii game.. Go on.

Planning on getting a PS3 sometime in July-August.

Around the Network

sieanr said: Diomedes1976 said:We dont have to wait until 2011 ,Wii graphics are outdated right now . And if you have an HDTV it is a lot more noticeable . Yeah, just like PC's already beat the PS3. And if you have a high rez monitor, like 1200x1600, then its allot more noticable
Well ,show me a PC game that looks as good as Motorstorm then .

Soulxxx said: Okay, compare God of War 2 to any new Wii game.. Go on.
In what way for what purpose? From an artistic perspective it is a very nice looking game, from a technical perspective many Gamecube games (Resident Evil and Rogue Squadren to name a couple) are better ... The fact that the PS2 at (approximately) 1/4 the power of the Wii can still produce artistically beautiful games supports the point that you don't need HD at the moment.

I found the title a little bit funny, 2011??? Not even 2007, those graphics were good for 2004 or 2005.

Diomedes1976 said: Well ,show me a PC game that looks as good as Motorstorm then .
You are looking at a short time episode. It is always the same. In the beginning console games look like they can beat PC-Games but in the long run they can only fail because the PCs are always changing and reinventing themselves. You can't really win against this principle.

RolStoppable said: Kamahl said: I found the title a little bit funny, 2011??? Not even 2007, those graphics were good for 2004 or 2005. Graphics won't save the PS3. I just say this: Wii will dominate the 7th generation of consoles. The PS3 won't make it into the year 2011. Therefore the question "Wii graphics outdated by 2011" becomes pretty much irrelevant.
I never said anything about the PS3 or if the Wii will win the generation so YOUR comment is irrelevant. Don't even try to argue with me if you are not going to use what i said.