By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Top 50 Seventh Gen Games (all platforms)

Erik Aston said:
jarrod said:
Since multiplatform games seemed to be combined, why aren't Animal Crossing and Big Brain Academy on DS/Wii? They're actually the same games...

Both of those were very much marketed and released as being different games, with different names. The fact that Nintendo did not focus on creating new content for the Wii versions is unfortunate, but I'm not going to list them as the same game.

I'd say that's a slippery slope... if that's the standard, then stuff like Modern Warfare Reflex or Winning Eleven Playmaker really needs to be separated out too.  And really DS/Wii versions of most "multiplatfom" games... I mean there's a far bigger disparity and difference in content between the DS, Wii. PSP and PS360 versions of Madden, WWE, FIFA, NFS or PES annually than there is in the DS/Wii versions of Animal Crossing or Big Brain Academy.

Around the Network

Wow, there are some seriously garbage games on that list. Really shows that quality does not necessarily sell games. At the same time though, there are some amazing games on the list as well.

Very well put together. But based on what you said in the OP, shouldn't Liberty City Stories be wayyy higher on that list? I mean, I know PS2 is a 6th gen console, but the game is a seventh gen. game, NO?

ALSO, EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE THAT FINAL FANTASY XIII WILL BE JOINING THE TOP 30 ON THAT LIST EXTREMELY SOON!!!

perpride said:
Wow, there are some seriously garbage games on that list. Really shows that quality does not necessarily sell games. At the same time though, there are some amazing games on the list as well.

Very well put together. But based on what you said in the OP, shouldn't Liberty City Stories be wayyy higher on that list? I mean, I know PS2 is a 6th gen console, but the game is a seventh gen. game, NO?

ALSO, EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE THAT FINAL FANTASY XIII WILL BE JOINING THE TOP 30 ON THAT LIST EXTREMELY SOON!!!

You know it ^_^

ChrisIsNotSexy said:
perpride said:

You know it ^_^

IT WILL ALSO BE THE BEST GAME ON THAT LIST. AND I DON'T MEAN IN MY OPINNION. I MEAN OBJECTIVELY!!!

you missed modern warfare 2

the fastest selling game of all time!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
you missed modern warfare 2

the fastest selling game of all time!

No, YOU missed Modern Warfare 2

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=91951

The fastest selling game of all time!!!

jarrod said:
Erik Aston said:
jarrod said:
Since multiplatform games seemed to be combined, why aren't Animal Crossing and Big Brain Academy on DS/Wii? They're actually the same games...

Both of those were very much marketed and released as being different games, with different names. The fact that Nintendo did not focus on creating new content for the Wii versions is unfortunate, but I'm not going to list them as the same game.

I'd say that's a slippery slope... if that's the standard, then stuff like Modern Warfare Reflex or Winning Eleven Playmaker really needs to be separated out too.  And really DS/Wii versions of most "multiplatfom" games... I mean there's a far bigger disparity and difference in content between the DS, Wii. PSP and PS360 versions of Madden, WWE, FIFA, NFS or PES annually than there is in the DS/Wii versions of Animal Crossing or Big Brain Academy.

Same name, same game is the rule. It's about marketing and branding, NOT about actual game content, which I'm not going to bother dissecting.

The exceptions I've made to that are All-Play branded games and Modern Warfare Reflex, which are purpose brands or something similar. It is basically as if they called the game "Madden NFL 09 for Wii", as an example.

I have no idea the differences between Winning Eleven and PES, or what Playmaker is, but if it shows up under my VGC database search for Pro Evo and looks like the same thing, I am counting it, and if not, I'm not.

And that's that. If you want to nitpick, go ahead and make your own thread. Basically if I'm pushed to defend my methods, I'm just not going to bother with the thread at all. I've got things to do.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
jarrod said:
Erik Aston said:
jarrod said:

Same name, same game is the rule. It's about marketing and branding, NOT about actual game content, which I'm not going to bother dissecting.

The exceptions I've made to that are All-Play branded games and Modern Warfare Reflex, which are purpose brands or something similar. It is basically as if they called the game "Madden NFL 09 for Wii", as an example.

I have no idea the differences between Winning Eleven and PES, or what Playmaker is, but if it shows up under my VGC database search for Pro Evo and looks like the same thing, I am counting it, and if not, I'm not.

And that's that. If you want to nitpick, go ahead and make your own thread. Basically if I'm pushed to defend my methods, I'm just not going to bother with the thread at all. I've got things to do.

Well, for consistency's sake, not making "exceptions" would likely work best.  If you're not wanting to invite criticism, it'd be best to not break your own rules.  Your little huff at the end there could've been handled better too, nothing's going to encourage nitpicking on the internet like a tantrum/ultimatum.

Winning Eleven is the Japanese title for PES.  The DS and Wii versions are branded differently in Japan (DS = DS, Wii = Playmaker) due to differing input methodolgies/content, while in the west they're branded consistently (ie: they're all just PES) like other content divergent annual sports games (Madden, FIFA, 2K, etc).

Very good thread. Shows the true direction of gaming -- which may not want to be where a lot of people want it to go.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Going to be interesting to see how fast New Super Mario Bros. Wii will climb.