By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has lost the core market this generation

intro94 said:
(compared to how core was N64 for instance, a console that didnt even have a passable single RPG, NOT ONE that you can remember).Numbers and facts dont lie. Angry bored fanboys do.

ummmmm quest 64????? BWAHAHAHA XP

sorry im trying out a new sleep aid/ relaxent. i recommend it to everybody. calms forte.

Around the Network

All of the people who keep going on and on about the Wii and third-party support are missing something very important.

Nintendo is by far the largest video game developer and publisher in the world. It doesn't need third-party support to the extent that Microsoft and Sony need it. Nintendo's first and second party titles do more than all of those big-budget third-party titles that appear on the 360 and PS3. They have a higher profit margin and they give the Wii a more unique software library instead of the situation where the 360 and PS3 have virtually the exact same games.

Even then, third-parties actually make more money on Nintendo's platforms because of lower development costs. They can make a game for the Wii/DS and have it sell 500,000 copies and make a profit whereas turning same profit on the 360/PS3 would require selling 2-3 million copies of one of those high-budget titles that make their respective fanbases go crazy.

Take 2 posted a loss despite the success of GTAIV meanwhile smaller developers have made far more money with projects on the Wii and DS. Another thing you'll notice is that due to the fact that the 360 and PS3 appeal almost exclusively to the core and hardcore gamers that the Wii is allegedly leaving out, third parties have no choice but to stick to tried-and-true franchises and genres because they absolutely have to make sure that a game will sell at minimum 2-3 million copies in order to guarantee profit whereas the Wii and DS actually allow third-party devs to be a little more creative and take more risks.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Maelstrome said:
intro94 said:
(compared to how core was N64 for instance, a console that didnt even have a passable single RPG, NOT ONE that you can remember).Numbers and facts dont lie. Angry bored fanboys do.

ummmmm quest 64????? BWAHAHAHA XP

sorry im trying out a new sleep aid/ relaxent. i recommend it to everybody. calms forte.

i know bout quest 64 XD .is sad that the only pure rpg n64 had was also the worst rated one of that era.

Ail said:

The Wii is never going to be for me anyway because I came to gaming from reading a lot of scifi and fantasy and there is simply no story telling in the huge majority of Nintendo games ( except Zelda).

And that is what attract a lot of the core gamers, gaming in a way is supposed to be the next step to reading and watching movies.

For me gameplay is much more interesting than having the feeling I'm watching a movie or I'm reading a book while playing.

I would like it if nintendo focused more of their attention on the hardcore audience, or what they like to call their 'core' fans or whatever. And whilst some 3rd party studios have stepped up their game it still feels like there's a relative paucity of quality 3rd party support for the wii and this only serves to amplify the wii's 'percieved' hardcore software deficiency.

Anyway, best way to get over your problems with the wii is to simply buy a ps3 or 360 to make up for the wii's so-called short comings. If I only had a wii, I'd probably be pretty pissed off right now but as that isn't the case, I'm largely indifferent to the wii.

Around the Network

im not so sure they lost the hardcore. Did they ever have it since the N64? The GC and wii never had nearly the hardcore games as SONY and MS do. So one begs to differ did they ever have the hardcore?

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

1337 Gamer said:
im not so sure they lost the hardcore. Did they ever have it since the N64? The GC and wii never had nearly the hardcore games as SONY and MS do. So one begs to differ did they ever have the hardcore?

I'm certain the "hardcore" you refer to are the millions that came into gaming during the N64/PS1 era, and for that point you're pretty much dead on.  Many of these came into gaming seeing Nintendo as childish and only for kids and now after 3 generations the same idea applies while now the arugment is Nintendo doesn't appeal to the "mature" or "core" gamer.  But that's likely due to 2 generations ago none of that demographic would call themselves "core" gamers or even know what a "casual" game was.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Ail said:

The Wii is never going to be for me anyway because I came to gaming from reading a lot of scifi and fantasy and there is simply no story telling in the huge majority of Nintendo games ( except Zelda).

And that is what attract a lot of the core gamers, gaming in a way is supposed to be the next step to reading and watching movies.

It immerses you more in the story and allows you to take your own decision that impact the outcome. That is a key feature for me that is simply lacking in the huge majority of Nintendo games.

I have nothing against you personnally, but i will reply to one of your post, once again...

Just like you it seems, i'm reading a lot of sci-fi... i was already into Asimov and Van Vogt when i was a 9 years old kid... thanks to my father, huge sci-fi fan, and writter himself...

I want the same thing as you, in movies and in videogames... but seriously: how many sci-fi movies are really worth mentionning? One or two each year, maximum...

A lot of movies in the US are edulcorated and over-simplified, to please the "average american teenager": no movie can match the immersion, the imagination and the intelligence found in the works of Dick, Herbert, Farmer, Clarke, Spinrad, Banks, Brin, Silverberg, Brunner, etc, etc, etc...

Videogames are even worse than movies: 99% of the games storytelling are lame and dull, it's usually the same old formula "good vs evil" in a very standard fantasy/sci-fi world again and again and again, ad nauseum...what saves some of the best games is the sense of immersion, and the fun of the gameplay... but story-wise, they don't compare to movies, and movies themselves don't compare to books...

Now, if i have to name just ONE good sci-fi game, it would be the Metroid Prime Trilogy... and if i had to name just ONE good "fantasy" game, it would be the Legend of Zelda... not that the story-telling is perfect, no way... but i've found there that "sense of wonder" and that immersion i also like in my favourite books and movies...

Nintendo games, in general, have that kind of "magic touch", the kind of magic i find in the Ghibli or the Pixar animation, too... it's not "only" about story-telling, it's also about gameplay, fun, graphic style, humor, and so many other little things... a labour of love, as i call these... Miyamoto is just a pure genius, there's no other way to say it...

Of course, we all have different tastes, and i may understand you're not into some of the Mario stuff... but when it comes to sci-fi, Bioshock and a couple of others may stand from the crowd, but that's all there is to say about it... if you like excellent sci-fi, videogames will never replace books...

I hope i'm not getting boring...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

If hardcore gaming isn't a sustainable business model during a global economic meltdown, hardcore gaming will die. I won't miss it. Nintendo won't miss it. The future of gaming won't miss it.

It will either become sustainable or die. To become sustainable it either needs to sell more (by getting dumbed down for the masses), or cost less to make (by not having millions spent on HD visuals). If that scares you, then you need to buy millions of copies of every hardcore game that gets made to keep these companies in business.

68soul said:

Now, if i have to name just ONE good sci-fi game, it would be the Metroid Prime Trilogy... and if i had to name just ONE good "fantasy" game, it would be the Legend of Zelda... not that the story-telling is perfect, no way... but i've found there that "sense of wonder" and that immersion i also like in my favourite books and movies...

Nice cop-out there, going for immersion by setting and exploration rather than narrative :) You should try things like Planescape:Torment or System Shock.

BTW: as a SF geek myself, I resent seeing Metroid Prime being presented as belonging to the genre by someone naming Dick, Brin and Banks. It's clearly a fantasy setting, down to the elemental-themed areas and weapons, under a SF-esque paint job :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman