By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

The real reason PC graphics aren't making consoles look like a joke yet is because of piracy. Everywhere you look, PC games are being pirated. Developers aren't spending as much as they used to on new PC games because internet piracy yields lower profits.

I built a budget gaming rig instead of buying a 360 1.5 years ago, because as much of a hassle PC's are, I'd rather have a working PC than a broken console. It cost me about $500 to build my PC, and although it isn't as powerful as I'd like it to be, it can still play all those multiplatform games at much better resolutions and framerates than their console counterparts.

In my opinion, PC's will never outpace consoles the way they used to, due to piracy. Cheap indie games and subscription MMO's have taken over on PC's as far as I'm concerned, because those are the only ways PC's can really get around piracy (honestly, who pirates $5-15 games?).

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Around the Network
shio said:
Peterisyum said:
see I dont agree there, while yes crysis does look better than any game this gen, it doesnt look like it is a gen better, thats why i think crysis 2 will be a much better comparison as thats on consoles as well as pc

HUH?! Consoles have already been surpassed ages ago. Right now you build a $400 PC that will CRUSH any console in terms of graphics!

Come on, tell me one game does has graphics that are anywhere near these pics of Crysis:

Isn't there supposed to be a gun somewhere in each of these pictures and a set of hands holding it? Maybe a HUD also.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Scoobes said:
joeorc said:
jefforange89 said:
Not to mention, game consoles are by design already outdated when they're released.

yup..that does not mean they would not be supported, it just mean's the hardware is "static"

it's made to be able to no matter when the developer starts to develop a game the hardware is the same, though with the way thing's are going that may change also. I see the game console's more and more getting PC like development cycle's with new hardware upgrades over time but the consumer would not be the one doing the upgrade, except for a few minor upgrade ability that is built in for the consumer to do on his own.

example:

the PSP started out when first released 32 MB of ram, its now 64 MB of ram

the xbox360 now come's with 256MB of on board flash ram for storage

thing's these machines did not start with when the first systems were released. but that the systems get as upgrade's as they went along.

However, the game developer would (or rather should) be limited to the original specs no matter how many hardware upgrades the console manufacturers makes to the original design, otherwise they'll be screwing the early adopters. With PCs, the user can make many different upgrades to the point where the developer is not as limited when it comes to pushing graphics.

OT: In my opinion the differences in each generation in terms of graphics has been becomming less and less. The difference between the SNES/Mega Drive era was huge (due to 3D) to PS1/N64. The difference between that gen and PS2/X-box/Cube was still big (compare MGS1 to MGS2) but less than previous, and this gen whilst an improvement, difference hasn't been as large as previous gens (compare MGS2/3 to MGS4, especially if you upscale MGS2/3). Really the main difference in this gen to previous is HD res but I can still quite happily go back and play KoToR, or Half-Life 2 without thinking "Urrggh! visual puke!". Many are still happy to play on Wii standard graphics. So I think you need to think at what the difference between this gen and the next gen will be.

The leap has really already been made with Crysis, but the gen gap is smaller and less defined then previous gens. Less and less people are going to care when it comes to visuals because we're comming up to a point where for most its already good enough. The tech on the PC is already way ahead of consoles. When it comes to next-gen I think visuals aren't going to be as important as other aspects such as physics and immersion.

yea i agree 100%, if you notice they still are going by the base spec's. when the first system's were released the extra hardware is just that

it does provide a extra bonus for speed up in running software but it's not that big of a deal. In my Opinion it's all good so long as the cunsumer still get's to play the game even on the older hardware

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

MonstaMack said:
MMROPGS and Awesome Blizzard titles are the only thing left from the PC universe that I desire on my console.

But again, Crysis 2 PC versus Crysis 2 on the 360/PS3 is gonna be laughable.

Good thing most people don't have your taste in games. If they had your taste, there wouldn't be 300 millions PC gamers right now.

MonstaMack said:
If I did I would have listed them.

I still buy tons of PC games (well not tons, but a lot) like Devil May Cry 4 (works wonders on the PC) and single player FPS. I'll still buy Fallout on the PC, but if I didn't have a beefy PC I would have easily bought Mass Effect and Fallout on the 360. They run fine.

Why don't you add your PC games to your vgchartz list?

Barozi said:
ssj12 said:
MonstaMack said:
MMROPGS and Awesome Blizzard titles are the only thing left from the PC universe that I desire on my console.

So you wouldnt want an FPS-Fighting game like Zeno Clash, or any of the brilliant puzzle or indie games on the consoles?

Well I don't and I can't stand MMORPGs, so the only things I would get for PC are Crysis 2, Trackmania 2 and maybe Starcraft 2/Diablo 3.

Because PC only has MMORPGs, Zeno Clash, Crysis 2, Trackmania 2 and Blizzard games, am I right?!

Sorcery said:
The real reason PC graphics aren't making consoles look like a joke yet is because of piracy. Everywhere you look, PC games are being pirated. Developers aren't spending as much as they used to on new PC games because internet piracy yields lower profits.

I built a budget gaming rig instead of buying a 360 1.5 years ago, because as much of a hassle PC's are, I'd rather have a working PC than a broken console. It cost me about $500 to build my PC, and although it isn't as powerful as I'd like it to be, it can still play all those multiplatform games at much better resolutions and framerates than their console counterparts.

In my opinion, PC's will never outpace consoles the way they used to, due to piracy. Cheap indie games and subscription MMO's have taken over on PC's as far as I'm concerned, because those are the only ways PC's can really get around piracy (honestly, who pirates $5-15 games?).

It's not just piracy, PC is a VERY competitive market. Not only there are 10 times more PC games being sold than console games, but there's also MMOs, Free-2-Play games, flash games, etc...

The PC market is oversaturated with games, everyone cannibalizing each other's sales. But companies still live on.

Barozi said:
ssj12 said:
MonstaMack said:

So you wouldnt want an FPS-Fighting game like Zeno Clash, or any of the brilliant puzzle or indie games on the consoles?

Well I don't and I can't stand MMORPGs, so the only things I would get for PC are Crysis 2, Trackmania 2 and maybe Starcraft 2/Diablo 3.

Sorcery said:

One problem with blaming piracy is people have been pirating games since the C-64 days.    The deal with piracy is the same with console used game sales. The development of games have greatly increase while gamers at the same time doesn't want to pay more for games that they did  10- 20 years ago.   So even though both piracy and used games was a factor in the 90's as well as I could return a new game for a full refund within 7 days as EB  games were still profitable. This is one reason for years I only bought both console and PC games at EB.

When it comes down to it both consoles and PC have this same problem, How many gamers are willingly to pay full price for the games vs the cost of developing them.  In some cases it's more profitable to create more shovelware for the Wii then an multi-million game on the HD consoles.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
Sorcery said:

One problem with blaming piracy is people have been pirating games since the C-64 days. The deal with piracy is the same with console used game sales. The development of games have greatly increase while gamers at the same time doesn't want to pay more for games that they did 10- 20 years ago. So even though both piracy and used games was a factor in the 90's as well as I could return a new game for a full refund within 7 days as EB games were still profitable. This is one reason for years I only bought both console and PC games at EB.

When it comes down to it both consoles and PC have this same problem, How many gamers are willingly to pay full price for the games vs the cost of developing them. In some cases it's more profitable to create more shovelware for the Wii then an multi-million game on the HD consoles.

It's not just the piracy though, it's the fact that the internet makes piracy so easy. People used to pirate music cassettes and CD's too, it wasn't until the internet that piracy really took off.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Sorcery said:
Smidlee said:
Sorcery said:

One problem with blaming piracy is people have been pirating games since the C-64 days. The deal with piracy is the same with console used game sales. The development of games have greatly increase while gamers at the same time doesn't want to pay more for games that they did 10- 20 years ago. So even though both piracy and used games was a factor in the 90's as well as I could return a new game for a full refund within 7 days as EB games were still profitable. This is one reason for years I only bought both console and PC games at EB.

When it comes down to it both consoles and PC have this same problem, How many gamers are willingly to pay full price for the games vs the cost of developing them. In some cases it's more profitable to create more shovelware for the Wii then an multi-million game on the HD consoles.

It's not just the piracy though, it's the fact that the internet makes piracy so easy. People used to pirate music cassettes and CD's too, it wasn't until the internet that piracy really took off.

On the other side of the coin the internet also makes it easier to count how many are pirating (dl) the game. I could just as easy pirate game in the 90's especially with EB return policy. One thing Brad at Stardock noted is teenagers are a lot more likely to pirate games than those who are older and has a job. So If a developer want  to worry less about piracy don't develop games at that group.

I must admit  when I was a teenagers I pirate music like crazy off the radio (yes, it still counts as violating the copyrights) and very seldom ever bought  music.  The reason I did this is because I didn't have any money. Now that I do I actually buy my music including online.

consoles are too low res now

600p mw2 is ridiculous its like .6 megapixels

Repent or be destroyed

CommunistHater said:
consoles are too low res now

600p mw2 is ridiculous its like .6 megapixels

Well, it's either display in 600p at 60 fps, or display in 720p at ~40 fps. IW wanted to have as little controller latency as possible though... so 60 fps is better. Personally, I don't care if it's 600p. Framerate > detail.

Or play it on PC for 60 fps at 1080p or resolutions in excess of it. :D

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,