By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

jefforange89 said:
They already have, and have for a quite some time.

100% exactly

game consoles are for the most part must remain hardware "static"

while PC's 

are for the most part are not required to remain hardware "static"

which is why the OP's ?, is not just a matter of when. because that's like saying when is the PC gamer going to upgrade his or Her graphic's card. 

Its also, about when will developer's of the games take advantage of those hardware advance's in the new updated GRAPHIC's cards where that would be the priority and not the low end spec's of PC's and Game consoles?

i would bet very little number of game's  

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

Not to mention, game consoles are by design already outdated when they're released.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
jefforange89 said:
Not to mention, game consoles are by design already outdated when they're released.

yup..that does not mean they would not be supported, it just mean's the hardware is "static"

it's made to be able to no matter when the developer starts to develop a game the hardware is the same, though with the way thing's are going that may change also. I see the game console's more and more getting PC like development cycle's with new hardware upgrades over time but the consumer would not be the one doing the upgrade, except for a few minor upgrade ability that is built in for the consumer to do on his own.

example:

the PSP started out when first released 32 MB of ram, its now 64 MB of ram

the xbox360 now come's with 256MB of on board flash ram for storage

thing's these machines did not start with when the first systems were released. but that the systems get as upgrade's as they went along.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

MonstaMack said:
MMROPGS and Awesome Blizzard titles are the only thing left from the PC universe that I desire on my console.

But again, Crysis 2 PC versus Crysis 2 on the 360/PS3 is gonna be laughable.

So you wouldnt want an FPS-Fighting game like Zeno Clash, or any of the brilliant puzzle or indie games on the consoles?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

If I did I would have listed them.

I still buy tons of PC games (well not tons, but a lot) like Devil May Cry 4 (works wonders on the PC) and single player FPS. I'll still buy Fallout on the PC, but if I didn't have a beefy PC I would have easily bought Mass Effect and Fallout on the 360. They run fine.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
MonstaMack said:
MMROPGS and Awesome Blizzard titles are the only thing left from the PC universe that I desire on my console.

But again, Crysis 2 PC versus Crysis 2 on the 360/PS3 is gonna be laughable.

So you wouldnt want an FPS-Fighting game like Zeno Clash, or any of the brilliant puzzle or indie games on the consoles?

Well I don't and I can't stand MMORPGs, so the only things I would get for PC are Crysis 2, Trackmania 2 and maybe Starcraft 2/Diablo 3.

uh... consoles are getting Crysis 2.
It's just a matter of much it will be watered down (a lot).

It's just that simple.

PC always has better graphics, just depends on how much money you're willing to spend and continually upgrading before consoles catch up again.

MonstaMack said:
uh... consoles are getting Crysis 2.
It's just a matter of much it will be watered down (a lot).

I know but I want to see how it runs on my gaming rig

joeorc said:
jefforange89 said:

yup..that does not mean they would not be supported, it just mean's the hardware is "static"

it's made to be able to no matter when the developer starts to develop a game the hardware is the same, though with the way thing's are going that may change also. I see the game console's more and more getting PC like development cycle's with new hardware upgrades over time but the consumer would not be the one doing the upgrade, except for a few minor upgrade ability that is built in for the consumer to do on his own.

example:

the PSP started out when first released 32 MB of ram, its now 64 MB of ram

the xbox360 now come's with 256MB of on board flash ram for storage

thing's these machines did not start with when the first systems were released. but that the systems get as upgrade's as they went along.

However, the game developer would (or rather should) be limited to the original specs no matter how many hardware upgrades the console manufacturers makes to the original design, otherwise they'll be screwing the early adopters. With PCs, the user can make many different upgrades to the point where the developer is not as limited when it comes to pushing graphics.

OT: In my opinion the differences in each generation in terms of graphics has been becomming less and less. The difference between the SNES/Mega Drive era was huge (due to 3D) to PS1/N64. The difference between that gen and PS2/X-box/Cube was still big (compare MGS1 to MGS2) but less than previous, and this gen whilst an improvement, difference hasn't been as large as previous gens (compare MGS2/3 to MGS4, especially if you upscale MGS2/3). Really the main difference in this gen to previous is HD res but I can still quite happily go back and play KoToR, or Half-Life 2 without thinking "Urrggh! visual puke!". Many are still happy to play on Wii standard graphics. So I think you need to think at what the difference between this gen and the next gen will be.

The leap has really already been made with Crysis, but the gen gap is smaller and less defined then previous gens. Less and less people are going to care when it comes to visuals because we're comming up to a point where for most its already good enough. The tech on the PC is already way ahead of consoles. When it comes to next-gen I think visuals aren't going to be as important as other aspects such as physics and immersion.