By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why cant the Xbox 360 have a browser on it?

I hate my PS3 browser. Completely useless. It freezes constantly and it is a little harder to type. I would rather just use my PC.

Plus I am sure it would make 360 piracy a little easier

Around the Network

No browser for 360 cause of hackers and viruses? If that's such a problem than why did Sony and Nintendo (and even Sega) take the risk? There must be another reason.

Edit* Just read some of the other replies which made more sense to me.

I reckon its probably to control advertising like others have said. Which in a way you can understand but hey.. the PS3 and even the Wii has it now, so it just seems as a possible but missing feature.

Neoraf said:

@Skeeuk

I can do the same thing with my Laptop on my couch, playing at the same time a game on my PS3 or my 360.

Why waste time on a console broswer? This is my question.

youtube support HD now =).

Xoj said:
Neoraf said:

@Skeeuk

I can do the same thing with my Laptop on my couch, playing at the same time a game on my PS3 or my 360.

Why waste time on a console broswer? This is my question.

youtube support HD now =).

As someone else said: at MS they don't want you to access YouTube as from any PC. They want you to access YouTube through their own interface, on the terms they decide. Every site out there that streams TV shows for free diminishes the value of their own video offering, a web interface for Twitter and FAcebook diminishes the value of Live Gold subscriptions and so on.

As for those saying that it opens the door for viruses and malware: how exactly? It's not like browsing web pages means being able to download and run any untrusted piece of software you find out there like you can on a PC. The only exposed vulnerabilities would be those of the JavaScript engine and of the Flash plug-in, both easily sandboxed so that at worst your browser crashes.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

content control. costs. No real demand for one. console browsers are pretty banal... I think IE pretty much sux and another version would be too much to take.. unless ofcourse if 'google frame' have anything to do wid it :)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

@WereKitten - you obviously haven't had the privilege of being attacked by the "antivirus" virus. That comes in through normal web browsing, and I see it almost every day @ my job. It affects pc, mac, and linux so it could possibly infect ps3/wii/x360.

Looking @ this makes me feel old...PROUD owner of NES, SNES, GENESIS, TurboGrafx 16 (PCE), N64, PSOne, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox360, and PC.

SmYsiZ said:
Because console browsers SUCK

THIS sums it up for me....

Ghstlyflme said:
@WereKitten - you obviously haven't had the privilege of being attacked by the "antivirus" virus. That comes in through normal web browsing, and I see it almost every day @ my job. It affects pc, mac, and linux so it could possibly infect ps3/wii/x360.

If the browser does not allow executing software from the web, then there's no way to be infected by a virus unless someone finds some very specific kinds of bug in the browser itself. In normal web browsing there's two kinds of software you want to run: Flash and JS. If those two engines are coded so that they have no direct access to the hardware or HDD, then the worst they can do is crashing the browser itself, but they can't cause any permanent change on the machine.

Really, it's that simple.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Sales would dip b/c IE Xbox would suck = neg press.