By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why cant the Xbox 360 have a browser on it?

M$ wants you to do stuff thru a controlled median...XBL. Sorry, but M$ isn't looking to give hackers any openings.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
Cueil said:
Where is the PS3's NES emulator? Where is the PS3's SNES emulator? Imagine that... the power of MCE and you didn't even know it existed

That's not a NES emulator nor a browser for 360, that's software running on your Windows PC and exporting its graphic to your TV via the 360.

This is done via RDP (the protocol used by Windows for remote desktops), for which incidentally I have clients on my PS3's Linux. On which I can install SNES and NES emulators directly, btw.

The whole point was using your console when you quickly need to check your ebay auction or a forum page or a youtube video, if I had to get up and go to fire up my PC upstairs, I might as well use it directly for that quick browsing need. If we bring home servers into this, everything changes, including the PS3 not having Netflix. I'd say let's stick to the original point, that is: why there's no browser on the 360.

Plus, I wonder: can you download and upload files from/to your 360 by using the remote browser?

I think you're missing the point... there is a browser FOR the 360... regardless of the fact it runs off of your PC

its funny seeing people try to justify xbox's lack of a browser. in my opinion the ps3 /wii are more of a media system than the 360.

WereKitten said:
GamerOhaLAA said:
About the Facebook Twitter Last FM thing btw. Doesnt it seem more user friendly and/or appealing to have Facebook like the Xbox will, all intergrated to the NXE than the Ps3's browser which has no flash? Its kinda like the Facebook app on the Iphone. Much easier and more user friendly, at least to me tho

Uh?  The PS3 browser plays Flash.

Then maybe not the latest version of it cause i go on websites that arent fully accessible. Like some vids cant be played and some pics cant be seen

..unless thats the lack of something else idk

WereKitten said:
welshbloke said:

Never under estimate the power of Integration. You may have a web browser and you may be able to visit Facebook but it will not be a pleasureable experience as the site is not designed for the console browser.

A good example of this would be the BBCi Player. Availble previously through 3rd party products but not easy to use. Suddenly it is integrated into the PS3 OS and boom you have huge take up of the service.

Netflix would be a similar example for the US and the Xbox and I have not doubt that the social sites will benefit hugely.

There's a great downside to specialized integration, and that's flexibility/robustness.

Create an integrated facebook/twitter interface and the next time the backend interface / protocol of those services changes, the software on your console brokes until it's updated. A web interface is always up-to date, as the web browser just has to be coded to the HTML/JS/Flash standards and not to the single services specs.

Frankly I'd prefer to have a web browser that works with things such as gmail and even lets me check my incoming google-office documents or Picasa albums shared by my friends, rather than waiting for the console maker to provide me with interfaces to the services I want to use.

I agree that any form of integration would need to be managed and one would hope that any large integration such as the Facebook type would not just break. Of course the web browser is a form of integration and also suffers from the same issues i.e. Flash upgrades the like.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

Don't think it needs one really. A youtube app would be nice though.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad