By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Wii now the home of split-screen multiplayer games?

@OP, yes. The Wii even comes with a free 4 player game, and the whole philosophy of the console is bringing friends and family together to play games together in the same room. I can't get my Wii online right now, but it still has awesome 4 player action. It even has 8 player local Bust-a-Move.

But I do recommend connecting it to the internet for the Virtual Console and WiiWare games. They have several classics and gems on there, including several 2-5 player games from every generation.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Kantor said:
Halo 3 has 4-player splitscreen against bots. It's called the campaign

Actually, the split screen for the campaign is two players only split-screen (on a single XBox).  Same with Firefight.  Well, at least last I checked it was.  I am speaking ODST and Halo 3 here.  I also want to address this in a more general sense to, but up for correction on the minutia.

I know the offline multiplayer (no bots) is 4-player splitscreen, I always assumed the Campaign was as well. I've only played the Campaign 2-player splitscreen.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

4 player splitscreen shooters

America's Army
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty: World at War
Conflict: Denied Ops
Dark Sector
Doom (XBLA)
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST
Marathon: Durandel (XBLA)
Perfect Dark Zero
The Club
The Darkness
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

I don't know if any of these have bots. Unreal Tournament 3 has bots, but it only has 2 player offline splitscreen to go along with them. The only games I've heard have bots are Perfect Dark Zero, Gears of War 2, the upcoming Perfect Dark remake for XBLA and Section 8. Turok might also have bots because it has 2 player split screen, and that just sounds remarkably dull without bots to go along with it.

Regarding racers, 4 player split screen games are as follows:

Baja: Edge of Control
Blur (Coming out November 3rd)
Mad Tracks (XBLA)
Moto GP '06
Moto GP '07
SBK Superbike World Championship
Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing (Coming in 2010)
Split/Second (Coming in 2010)
Stuntman Ignition
Vigilante 8 Arcade (XBLA)

Hope this helps.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

America's Army
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4
Dark Sector
Doom (XBLA)
Halo 3
Perfect Dark Zero
The Club
The Darkness

I don't know if any of these have bots. Unreal Tournament 3 has bots, but it only has 2 player offline splitscreen to go along with them. The only games I've heard have bots are Perfect Dark Zero, Gears of War 2, the upcoming Perfect Dark remake for XBLA and Section 8. Turok might also have bots because it has 2 player split screen, and that just sounds remarkably dull without bots to go along with it.

Mad Tracks (XBLA)
Moto GP '06
Moto GP '07
Stuntman Ignition

Hope this helps.

And the good split-screen games? Where are they?

Citan said:
Onyxmeth said:

America's Army
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4
Dark Sector
Doom (XBLA)
Halo 3
Perfect Dark Zero
The Club
The Darkness

Mad Tracks (XBLA)
Moto GP '06
Moto GP '07
Stuntman Ignition

Hope this helps.

And the good split-screen games? Where are they?

There are no good split screen games. The whole nature of split screen gives any element of surprise away, especially in shooters. I suppose this doesn't matter much for racing games, but it sure as hell is useless for shooters as once a map is learned, no one will ever turn a corner knowing an enemy is in wait.

If you're talking about the general quality of the listed games, take it somewhere else. Some of these games are absolutely fantastic.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Sacred 2 for 360 and PS3 has some nice one console multiplayer. It isnt splitscreen since it's a Diablo clone and with it's birdview everything can be done on the same screen. Unlike Fable 2's multiplayer the camera is much higher so it handles much better even though you still need to get into the same ritme so nobody ends up on the corner of the screen. The game itself is great if your into openworld RP-hack 'n slash Games if not then stay clear because there is no real story, character development or any other element you might enjoy in other console RPG.

deathgod33 said:

gears of war 2 should really have 4 player split-screen Horde and Halo 3: ODST should have 4 player split-screen firefight.

One can hope.  I wish both did have it.  Hoard mode showed itself to be a lot of fun split screen.  I now have to use Perfect Dark Zero to be able to get split screen multiplayer coop.  Either that, or end up doing Thrillville on the Wii.