By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii 10 mln. or PS3 5 mln. in Japan. Who first?

What makes you think that FF13 will sell 1.6 million in its first week, when Famitsu says it won't even sell that in its lifetime?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Soriku said:
darthdevidem01 said:
ioi said:
Wii Fit + will have some effect, just like Wii Sports Resort. Wii hardware isn't going to suddenly double but these games sell well over long periods of time and make the hardware more attractive, especially during holiday periods. You can imagine a lot of mothers getting a Wii and Wii Fit Plus for Christmas for example.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a different story - I do expect a strong immediate bump in hardware and very strong sales through the first 6 weeks, 6-8m worldwide by the end of the year isn't out of the question and should push Wii sales to well over 150k per week in Japan over the holidays.

bookmarked, sorry ioi I don't see this happening in Japan.

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out as well. I'm not necessarily doubting him, but that's really huge...

Wii sold in the 130-150k range for 3 weeks in a row last year, so it doesn't have to improve over last year too much.

Gearbox said:
ioi said:

Wii will reach 10m before PS3 reaches 5m. We're probably looking at 30k vs 15k this week in Japan but from next week onwards (with the exception of FFXIII release week) Wii should be ahead on a weekly basis and will therefore sell-through 1.5m quicker, expecially over the holidays where Wii sales should be probably twice PS3 sales.

ioi I disagree, unless the wii price drop boosts demand i see there sales dropping the entire year (aside for bumps from good games)

like look at how the wii sales have been going down liek crazy year over year http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=X360&reg3=------&weeks=156&weekly=1 

i agree that the will will outsell the ps3 weekly yes (not by much) but I think that christmas time will be dominated by the ps3.

Wii has the stronger software lineup and better hardware movers

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

darthdevidem01 said:
ioi said:
Wii Fit + will have some effect, just like Wii Sports Resort. Wii hardware isn't going to suddenly double but these games sell well over long periods of time and make the hardware more attractive, especially during holiday periods. You can imagine a lot of mothers getting a Wii and Wii Fit Plus for Christmas for example.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a different story - I do expect a strong immediate bump in hardware and very strong sales through the first 6 weeks, 6-8m worldwide by the end of the year isn't out of the question and should push Wii sales to well over 150k per week in Japan over the holidays.

bookmarked, sorry ioi I don't see this happening in Japan.

Actually its very likely, Wii was well over 100K last holidays in Japan, and last year its lineup was far weaker

Soriku said:
Wii was that high in Japan last year?? I thought it was more in the 70ks.

Nope, more like 130-140K

Around the Network

LoL, some people are really funny going against ioi like that. Not that disagreing with him is a sin, but his reasons are calculated while the rebuttles are..well not. Also what's all this talk about Wii Saturation? its no where close to that.

Keep underestimating NSMBWii but also forget all the other titles that should keep momentum high in addition to a price cut. PS3 has FFXIII and what else? Bayonetta? It will be funny when the holiday numbers are in and the Wii completely dominates yet again. I don't think it will even be close.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Soriku said:

Nope, more like 130-140K

As long as wii will be over 80,000 in japan every week during Christmas vacation I will be happy, I just want wii to reach 60 million before years end or possibly 60.9 million. 

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

People still arguing? More in hope than common sense and logic though.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Soriku said:
Wow, if it was really 130k-140k last year then it should blow past 150k. 150k sounds like a minimum.

See this is why you need to listen to ioi, he knows

ioi said:
Soriku said:

Why not check the data?

http://vgchartz.com/jweekly.php?date=39810

Everyone listen to ioi I say, he's the master of this site aswell as a accurate analyst.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d