By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii 10 mln. or PS3 5 mln. in Japan. Who first?

PS3 only has FF13 left, Wii has a bunch of games left for Japan this fall and winter, easily Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Wii probably, NSMB, Tales of Graces etc

If GT5 released then there would be competition imo

So now, we have:

Crystal Bearers, NSMB, AND Tales of Graces.

Wii, easily.

01st Oct 09 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
01st Oct 09 Shin Sangoku Musou: MultiRaid Special
15th Oct 09 Uncharted: Ougontou to Kieta Sendan
29th Oct 09 Bayonetta
29th Oct 09 Tekken 6
05th Nov 09 3D Dot Game Heroes
Nov-Dec 09 Resonance of Fate
03rd Dec 09 Assassin's Creed II
17th Dec 09 Final Fantasy XIII

Not that much, but not that bad.
And FFXIII looks amazing in latest trailers.

No question. Wii will hit that milestone first. There's just too many heavy hitters (Crystal Bearers, WF+,ToG now releasing in December with NSMB. Then you throw in big releases that will get a boost come the Holiday season like WSR and MH3), in addition to the price cut?

PS3 has FFXIII and....the slim model?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
The Wii still has Tales of Graces, NSMB, Super Robot Wars Neo, Wii Fit Plus, Samurai Warriors 3, and FFCC: The Crystal Bearers, coupled with a price cut. The PS3 has FF XIII and Tekken 6 and Bayonetta (T6 and Bayonetta will sell OK like ioi said). End of Eternity in Japan too but how much could that sell? Don't know.

I say Wii.

Wii also has Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics. The first one sold over half a million copies in Japan so this one definately has to count as a semi big gun for Wii as well. Wii should take this one.

Wii, definitely. Both Wii and PS3 got price cuts but Wii has always sold more than PS3 so its pirce cut is going to have a much longer and more sustaining boost. This doesn't even count the fact that, software wise, Nintendo has the rest of the year locked up. PS3 has FF13 and a few moderate titles. People keep naming the same 2-3 games for Wii but really it has two massive titles and several lesser to moderate and great sellers.

Oct 01 - Wii Fit Plus
Oct 08 - Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga
Oct 15 - Okami
Ocr 29 - Super Robot Wars NEO, Sin & Punishment 2
Nov 05 - Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games
Nov 12 - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Nov 19 - Samurai Warriors 3
Nov 26 - Puyo Puyo 7, Naruto Shippuuden Ryuuninnki
Nov ?? - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Nov/ Dec ?? - Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Dec - Tales of Graces

NSMB Wii doesn't have a date yet but November is almost guaranteed. If not November then December...it may be going head to head with FF13. Of the two, it's going to sell the most.

REDC doesn't have a JP date yet but it's hitting every other part of the world in November.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ioi said:

Wii will reach 10m before PS3 reaches 5m. We're probably looking at 30k vs 15k this week in Japan but from next week onwards (with the exception of FFXIII release week) Wii should be ahead on a weekly basis and will therefore sell-through 1.5m quicker, expecially over the holidays where Wii sales should be probably twice PS3 sales.

negative. i don't see it happening soon

All indicators suggest the Wii will reach the 10 million unit goal prior to the PS3 reaching the 5 million unit goal.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

321tttrini4everz said:
ioi said:

Wii will reach 10m before PS3 reaches 5m. We're probably looking at 30k vs 15k this week in Japan but from next week onwards (with the exception of FFXIII release week) Wii should be ahead on a weekly basis and will therefore sell-through 1.5m quicker, expecially over the holidays where Wii sales should be probably twice PS3 sales.

negative. i don't see it happening soon

You or ioi, who is more likely to have better data on sales?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)