By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3/360 gap will be back to 5 million by the end of the year.

thx1139 said:
I have said it before and I will say it again. For years GT games and FF games have been the PS3 flagship titles. People have bought PS3s expecting those games. With the PS3 sales in Japan over 4 million when FF13 releases the bump will be minimized. When GT5 releases next spring it will have 2 things minimizing the bump. Over 30 million PS3s already sold and over 3 million copies of GT5P sold. Pretty safe to say that the majority of the GT5P purchasers will be GT5 purchasers and they wont be purchasing a new PS3 to play it.

Or am I wrong PS3 purchasers will purchase a new PS3 for FF13 and GT5. I think not.

if u are true for FFXIII, mostly because it is on 360 too

u are partialy wrong for GT5
remember a lot of people have still not purchased their wanted PS3 because of the high price
and they may do it for GT5 because of the new Slim

Neverthless, we can also consider FM3 will steal some steam to the GT5 sales this Xmas...

so at the end, it is hard to say ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
libellule said:
thx1139 said:
I have said it before and I will say it again. For years GT games and FF games have been the PS3 flagship titles. People have bought PS3s expecting those games. With the PS3 sales in Japan over 4 million when FF13 releases the bump will be minimized. When GT5 releases next spring it will have 2 things minimizing the bump. Over 30 million PS3s already sold and over 3 million copies of GT5P sold. Pretty safe to say that the majority of the GT5P purchasers will be GT5 purchasers and they wont be purchasing a new PS3 to play it.

Or am I wrong PS3 purchasers will purchase a new PS3 for FF13 and GT5. I think not.

if u are true for FFXIII, mostly because it is on 360 too

u are partialy wrong for GT5
remember a lot of people have still not purchased their wanted PS3 because of the high price
and they may do it for GT5 because of the new Slim

Neverthless, we can also consider FM3 will steal some steam to the GT5 sales this Xmas...

so at the end, it is hard to say ...

As for FF13 I am talking specifically about Japan, because elsewhere FF13 will be a non event (hardware wise).

GT5 yes they may have waited and I bet a bunch of them purchased a PS3 over the past 3 weeks and I bet a bunch of them will puchase a PS3 over the next 6 months before GT5 releases.  When Halo 3 launched the boost was very apparent because 360 cumulative sales when Halo 3 launched as ~11.5M.  PS3 will be over 30 million when GT5 releases.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

@kowenicki

I get what u are saying compeletly. But it seems that u missed my boat. Japan's sales for the PS3 far over shadow the 360's for xmas. This year it will be an even bigger gap between the 2 here. What ever the amount the PS3 out sells the 360 in Japan this xmas will "also" be very important to help lower the gap for SONY.

U said; "I think the gap will reduce largely due to Others numbers".

Japan will reduce the gap too, especially with FF13 this xmas. Also, do u honestly believe that the 360 is still gonna far outsell the PS3 in the States, if at all this xmas? So, u are implying that the PS3 Slim and price cut won't do much there for the PS3 come black friday / xmas. Interesting.

It seems FF13's sales and HW boost here in Japan will shock some people. It is already looking huge in shops. For 9700 odd yen, SE is very confident it's gonna sell, that's for sure.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Forza 3 will sell AS MANY systems as Killzone 2 sold = minimal

I cannot believe the reasons xbox 360 will outsell PS3 this holiday are that Forza 3 is coming & a MW2 bundle......

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

kowenicki said:
@HanzoTherazor

Why the sarcastic abuse?

Japan and christmas...? not such a big deal really, dont just say things.. check them.

2008 December sales:

Japan 800,000

Others 4,900,000

US 5,400,000

Get my point? The U.S. REALLY matters at christmas.

Hell, the UK is far more important that Japan at christams

UK 1,100,000

my pleasure.

not for PS3

you will see what impact a Final Fantasy has this december

Around the Network
libellule said:
selnor said:
I predict the Forza 3 bundle and MW2 bundle will keep the 360 above 7 mill even turning it back to 8 mill. As of October 22nd 360 will outsell Ps3 WW. Selnors prediction.

I also believe people are not realizing the strenght of the VERY CHEAP MW2 / FM3 bundle for the 360

The fight will be close between the HD twins ...

and without GT5 ....

very cheap? $399 it's not cheap anymore....even the PS3 slim bundles are cheaper.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

you can buy an Xbox 360 Elite + MW2 & get it cheaper than the price of the MW2 Xbox 360 Elite bundle

i think that it's possible, but i think that kind of speculation is not all that founded....just yet. we need to see how the numbers stabilize for sony. i think it is pretty safe to say that, not counting xmas, the gap will shrink to under 7 mil for sure by years end. christmas will be a bit of a variable. i think sony will outsell the 360, but who knows by how much.

art is the excrement of culture

I think that is possible

thx1139 said:

let me explain to you how this thinking is wrong.  FF and gt5 are new IP's for all intents and purposes.  gt5prologue was a glorified demo, so i really don't believe that prompted too many people into the ps3 market.  gt5 will though.  will all the new developments that have been released recently we should expect to see a huge turnout of new ps3 owners.  keep in mind gt5 is one of, if not the most successful, game franchise ever.  do you really think the 3 million installed base is in any way indicative of how it will do at drop? 

need for speed shift has already sold well, and it's just a need for speed game.  gt5 is on another level.  i think the bump from this game will only be rivalled with that of god of war 3 for biggest impact on ps3 sales.  and if sony is smart they will bundle the game which would move even more units.

the same reasoning applies to FF, but since it's exclusivity is timed or online the bump shouldn't be as big.  then again, it is FF, and who knows what will happen in japan.  like you said, there are 4 mil units in japan.  but there are like a gazillion wii's there.  we know gamers are there, and we know the only game they covet more than FF is DDR.

i wouldn't be surprised at all if sony moves half a mil when any of these games drop.

art is the excrement of culture