By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sales numbers are not always indicative of a game's quality.

Wii Music was awesome. Sonic and the Secret Rings was fun. Killzone 2 was average and deserved the sales it got. I haven't played ODST but I am sure that it deserves it sales

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

Buyers aren't completely helpless in the relationship between game publishers and themselves. Its a more complicated relationship and it isn't a one off event like you imply. For a title like Halo, Bungie has developed a good reputation for delivering good quality Halo titles so the public can expect a future Halo release to be enjoyable because they had enjoyed a previous installment. Beyond the games industry you have animation studios like Pixar whom consistantly release good work, so therefore you could go to one of their movies sight unseen because their reputation from consistantly releasing good work precedes them. For both Bungie and Pixar, releasing a lower quality title can effect their current projects sales and future sales as well.

Btw strictly speaking the sales numbers are a quality of a commercially released title. So for any of the games we talk about on Vgchartz, sales are always a quality of any game. Diminishing the importance of sales as a quality of a game doesn't mean that sales cease to be a quality of any game.

Hmm, that's not the picture I wanted to depict. Reputation of the authors is great for the informed user, and is one of the main selling points of a game/movie/book for me.

But there's an even wider public who isn't  informed - or interested, as follows - in the authors. The boost that CoD:WaW got from the quality of CoD4 propagated through the franchise name, not through knowledge of the people involved in the development. The product was not as good, but still good enough for the majority. Next iteration will again be IW's work and probably restore faith in the name of the franchise for the more and less demanding at once, and so on... the science of milking :)

There's plenty of examples of games that sold -not necessarily well- on their name and the incredibly vague idea of the content they would offer, from Ubisoft's Prince of Persia (it's probably a 3d action/platformer with climbing and fencing) to several Sonic games (it's probably a platformer where you run and jump very quickly).

What I was saying is not that quality does not affect sales, or that all users are mindless puppets. Only that the relationship between the product and its commercial success is so complicated that there's no way to estabilish a simple monotone relation between sales and satisfaction. The sale is more a measure of the "expected satisfaction" a prori, which is not the same as the "effective satisfaction" with the product, a posteriori. Some users will be good at matching the two and will be happy customers, others will be less happy with their choices.

As for your last paragraph: that's a lecit way to put things and to define the keywords, but it's not the way the OP is using those terms.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

dsister44 said:
Wii Music was awesome. Sonic and the Secret Rings was fun. Killzone 2 was average and deserved the sales it got. I haven't played ODST but I am sure that it deserves it sales

I got my copy of ODST, but haven't played it yet...but I will tomorrow!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

so wii sports isnt the best game in the world ?

Sales are not a true indication of a game's quality. The review scores are not much of a true indication of game's quality either. The reviews that get posted on metacrtic/gamerankings are nothing more than marketing/hype to push sales of high profiled games.

I have a played a lot of AAA stinker games in my life time - the review system is broken.