By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European Users: How well is PS3 selling in Europe?

Yojimbo said: dallas: Wow you are really narrow-minded. I feel sorry for you.
perhaps, but I have an overwhelming desire to be stuck in the real world, and the fact of the matter is that there are many societies outside of the west, that are totally different worlds, and much more conservative. As far as being narrow-minded, well, I like learning about other cultures and try to put them on an equal footing when evaluating them. I also like worldwide gourmet cooking, its just a world of flavor around here let me tell you. I'm interested in philosophy and devour a philosophy book when I can and am in a philosohy club, not to mention graduate school in literature so you may be right about me being narrow-minded but i'm become influenced by a diverse array of forces these days. case in point, I just received a koran from the islamic-american league so that I could learn more about there culture, and from what I have seen so far would be a culture shock to most americans from the degree of just how conservative their culture is, not that I'm saying that any is more superior at all yojimbo. Mabey i'll when I get done i'll go off to japan to teach english or something, I dunno. I like teaching and that's probably what I will do with myself. My worst fear is that the world devolve into a bunch of savage dotards with bricks of chaw in their pockets, wooden teeth, etc. Anyway, I'm planning on going to disneyland with somefriends in the summer, after "its a small world" i'll officially love all cultures

Around the Network

TheSource said: Wow I didn't think we had European users from this many countries... Personally, I am expecting sales somewhat similar to 360. I base this on price, which is a high factor in Europe compared to America and Canada except when compared to countries such as Ireland which are very wealthy...
Mmm ,as Reggie Fils Aimee pointed out some days ago ,the X360 is selling very poorly in Europe outside of UK (and even in UK last year it was behind PS2 ,DS and PSP ) .The numbers in the frontpage arent very accurate .I mean ,I am under the impression that they have just applied the formula Europe=Uk market multiplied by 2.5 .Problem with this is that this time there is a big difference in the success of the console in the island and the continent .In most countries the PS3 will catch the X360 in no time .Others as the UK wont be so easy of course . If Sony sold in Europe as the X360 it would have a problem in hands .PS3 will sell a lot more in Europe ,and in Japan ,X360 may keep its US supremacy though .

Dallas: I understand what you mean. You must understand that there is several countries there. Most people look at 2-3 countries and judge the whole middle east. All people in the midde east are not muslims, and yeah Islam is conservative. And many people confuse culture stuff with Islam. I have myself read the Torah, Bible and the Quran. I have read the Quran in arabic but I cant hebrew so I have read the Torah in english. Very intresting books good luck with your Quran :) I am planning to visit and maybe move to Japan someday :D

Diomedes1976 said: If Sony sold in Europe as the X360 it would have a problem in hands .PS3 will sell a lot more in Europe ,and in Japan ,X360 may keep its US supremacy though .
Well, in Germany the price drop already had some effect, and it is obvious that there are probably more than enough Playstations available (many mail order shops like amazon shipped yesterday or today and they all seem to have more than enough PS-3 to spare. But in equipment like extra controllers, remotes and games they seem to be a bit tight. And according to heise Germany will probably get 200 - 250.000 PS-3 (it would have been a VERY big surprise if Germany would get less than Spain.

@ YpJimbo

Wow you are really narrow-minded. I feel sorry for you.
People in the west often have distored views of other countries. A couple of years ago I went to Iran, generally very nice and heartwhelming people there. I saw a few locations where gamers met to play mostly PS2 games. BTW, it is expected around 3,500 PS3s will be sold in Dubai on launch day.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

I think that good international food will cure all of these problems...

What about East Europe? Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic... will have PS3 units to.

The big european markets are UK ,France ,Spain ,Germany ,and Italy .There are other small ones as Portugal ,Greece ,Holland ,Belgium ,Norway ,Switzerland etc that are big for the number of people living there but arent so big once all is said and done .Then the east europe countries have recently entered the UE and have still lower life levels and income ....sure some units arrive there but I dont think they make a difference .

Diomedes1976 said: TheSource said: Wow I didn't think we had European users from this many countries... Personally, I am expecting sales somewhat similar to 360. I base this on price, which is a high factor in Europe compared to America and Canada except when compared to countries such as Ireland which are very wealthy... Mmm ,as Reggie Fils Aimee pointed out some days ago ,the X360 is selling very poorly in Europe outside of UK (and even in UK last year it was behind PS2 ,DS and PSP ) .The numbers in the frontpage arent very accurate .I mean ,I am under the impression that they have just applied the formula Europe=Uk market multiplied by 2.5 .Problem with this is that this time there is a big difference in the success of the console in the island and the continent .In most countries the PS3 will catch the X360 in no time .Others as the UK wont be so easy of course . If Sony sold in Europe as the X360 it would have a problem in hands .PS3 will sell a lot more in Europe ,and in Japan ,X360 may keep its US supremacy though .
Absolutely right. X360 is absolutely no topic here in switzerland, i don't know a single person who owns one and as far as i can remember, there was absolutely no publicity at the launch. i think xbox did better here then x360 is doing right now. but this might be specific for switzerland. but to point this out again, if ps3 launches on the niveau of x360 here in europe, it can be called a dead console.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

nintendo_fanboy said: Diomedes1976 said: TheSource said: Wow I didn't think we had European users from this many countries... Personally, I am expecting sales somewhat similar to 360. I base this on price, which is a high factor in Europe compared to America and Canada except when compared to countries such as Ireland which are very wealthy... Mmm ,as Reggie Fils Aimee pointed out some days ago ,the X360 is selling very poorly in Europe outside of UK (and even in UK last year it was behind PS2 ,DS and PSP ) .The numbers in the frontpage arent very accurate .I mean ,I am under the impression that they have just applied the formula Europe=Uk market multiplied by 2.5 .Problem with this is that this time there is a big difference in the success of the console in the island and the continent .In most countries the PS3 will catch the X360 in no time .Others as the UK wont be so easy of course . If Sony sold in Europe as the X360 it would have a problem in hands .PS3 will sell a lot more in Europe ,and in Japan ,X360 may keep its US supremacy though . Absolutely right. X360 is absolutely no topic here in switzerland, i don't know a single person who owns one and as far as i can remember, there was absolutely no publicity at the launch. i think xbox did better here then x360 is doing right now. but this might be specific for switzerland. but to point this out again, if ps3 launches on the niveau of x360 here in europe, it can be called a dead console.
Well Microsoft announced in Europe 1.3 million consoles sold end september ....so some 10 months after launch .PS3 will launch with approximately these numbers .Even if it doesnt sell out it would be in another league ...I mean 1 day versus 10 months ??