By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo finally abandons NES(Famicon)

nintendo_fanboy said:
knowing that at some point in the future my snes (i don't own a nes, sadly) will stop working makes me sad... it shows how everything ends sometimes...

SNES emulators on the PC are very good, so you can keep playing your games ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I have every single licensed NES game on my computer, and eventually I'm going to get a FourScore-to-USB adapter so I can plug up to 4 NES controllers directly into my PC for Super Spike V'Ball and Nintendo World Cup. But I'm not just some crazy ROM guy. I mean, I kinda paid for 300 NES cartridges and am slowly collecting all of them, as if they were inanimate grey Pokemon that never move or fight. If I outlive my cartridges, I'll be prepared.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

I never knew that....WOW Nintendo is really loyal to their fans, maybe I should get a Wii or DS now.......hmmmmmm

this was all part of nintendo's 20 year plan, didn't you hear about it?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Hmmm... I was gonna buy a NES but now that it's not getting support from Nintendo I don't know... :(

Around the Network

I got to admit even though I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan that my NES and GBC were pretty darn fun. ANd also very sturdy.

Crap almighty. I wish I knew earlier that Nintendo was still supporting the NES. I threw mine out when it stopped working... Guess I'm an idiot.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Crap almighty. I wish I knew earlier that Nintendo was still supporting the NES. I threw mine out when it stopped working... Guess I'm an idiot.

Guess you're right!!! ;-P

LOL

Well didn't the NES get discontinued along time ago. I thought this was the end of Famicom which Nintendo of Japan has maintained far longer then North America did. I mean even when the console was finally discontinued here its not like you could go pick it up in store. I haven't seen an NES in stores since the 64 launched, I know you could still get parts off the online store but I didn't think the hardware remained in circulation.

So the Famicom was actually still in distribution, wow not even the PlayStation lasted that long. However Japanese consoles always live much longer then they do in North America. I mean DreamCast was still getting new games as late as last year.

Well this only helps solidify the idea that Nintendo remains king. I mean their 20-year old product beat out the competitions best (PlayStation) and even today remained selling. The longevity of Nintendo products is a major asset I can go back and waste hours playing many of Nintendo's classics! Of course Virtual Console may impede Nintendo's ability to continue selling SNES/N64 cause honestly when people can get the software for 5-10$ a piece rather then 50-100$ the market begins to evaporate!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

well there are two options.

Get a NES Toploader. In that it doesn't matter if pins are bent as the timing chip is not in it (one that detects licensed games) so even if the pins are bent the timing doesn't have to be exact to launch the game..

Alternatively you can rip out the timing chimp in the original NES and solder the rail tracks together where they should be joined (not recommended though lol)