By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo finally abandons NES(Famicon)

According to Kotaku and ITmedia (jap), Nintendo finally decided to not provide hardware support for the NES, GB and N64 anymore.

Yes, you read that correct. Nintendo supported a console of theirs for more than 20 years. This shows the difference between all bad and good companies, the good ones are loyal to their customers, and the bad ones have products that don't work at all, or have a poor quality.

This indirectly seperates Nintendo from other companies. I'm guessing I don't need to explain that anymore.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

I remember when the NES and SNES were officially discontinued in 2002 (or was it 2000?), but then they kept the NES going due to popular demand.

Oh crap oh noez! What if the 72 pin connector in my NES corrodes again?

(: Last time this happened they mailed me one for free. That was 3 years ago. :)

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Rubang B said:
Oh crap oh noez! What if the 72 pin connector in my NES corrodes again?

(: Last time this happened they mailed me one for free. That was 3 years ago. :)

well, it probably will eventually, but that would be at least 13-14 years away from now!!!

Oh No, the Wii is doomed!
Sorry. Wrong thread.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

My NES has NEVER had a problem.

Heh bet it breaks down in the next week or two.

Even though I didn't even know they supported the NES still.

i love the fact that the first thig to go wrong on a console is it corrodes....wish consoles of today were like that, i mean unless you take it outside corrosion isn't going to happen quickly.

@onimusha, i though this was about hardware support though, yes they stopped selling them to retailers ages ago, but they probably made an extra few 100k worth of parts to provide a service to those that have had their NES finally break after 20 years.....so they probably stopped making parts ages ago, and have recently run out.
I bet they still have Game Boy support.

knowing that at some point in the future my snes (i don't own a nes, sadly) will stop working makes me sad... it shows how everything ends sometimes...

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

20 year support we have a winner, oh wait...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
nintendo_fanboy said:
knowing that at some point in the future my snes (i don't own a nes, sadly) will stop working makes me sad... it shows how everything ends sometimes...

Things like the VC can keep our good memories alive though and create new ones for younger gamers.