By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendomination at an end?

Around the Network

Reading John Lucas' post was more like going to Nintendo hell.

I think Nintendo will do well, but stop living in some fantasy world.

I love John Lucas. He's so right.

You think it's weird how hard Wii was been dominating with ZERO online games, and nothing but Wii Sports? The Wii sold in 10 months what the 360 couldn't sell in 22, and the 360 had XBox Live, Geometry Wars, and Gears of War. Imagine how much harder the Wii will dominate once it has Galaxy, Brawl, Mario Kart, and Wii Ware (with new exclusive Final Fantasies, 4 player co-op Dr. Marios, Bomberman, etc. etc.), AND THEN WII FIT. Stealing Monster Hunter 3 was just the beginning. This is gonna get really ugly.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Wait...I'm confused.

So, Nintendo has no games with online play, and their only game is Wii Sports?

Explain.

leo-j said:
@soriku

It cost as much as the xbxo 360 elite in europe(the 40gb).

OT: I believe Sony needs to attack now, tHE WII SALES HAVE DROPPED IN JAPAN, and they need to attack before SMG. The 40gb ps3+ 60gb price cut, and Dynast warriors 6 ps3 dualshock 3 40gb bundle, may increase sales heck maybe up to 50k.

Before SMG launches? So, in other words... they better do something in two weeks or less.

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Wait...I'm confused.

So, Nintendo has no games with online play, and their only game is Wii Sports?

Explain.

I was referring to common arguments among Nintentrolls from a few months back, before Strikers came out in America.  They wouldn't count Zelda as a Wii game 'cuz it was "just a GC port lol" and they don't count 3rd party games because "3rd party games don't count on Nintendo consoles" and there weren't online games yet.  Meanwhile the Wii was outselling everything else combined, dominating with (according to haters) absolutely nothing.  Now that the huge games and the online games are kicking in this Christmas, and then Wii Fit and Wii Ware, the domination will grow exponentially.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Lets wait and see how well Super Mario galaxy seels before we say anything about Nintendomination ending

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

It'll be interesting to see how far the drop will be for the PS3. I don't think it'll be that big, since this current list only accounts for a few days of the lower price. But the week after that will be telling.

After the Elite + price drop, the 360 rose 260% in UK and the next week only went down something like 20%. If the PS3 can have a relatively sustained sales week to week Europe will be interesting to see this winter.

Totally agree with Rol. Remember early summer PS3 sales even reached 8k due to lack of new games for weeks! Do you honestly believe that even if Japanese got bored or abandoned the Wii, it would be in just ONE MONTH? What could possibly happen in a such a small timeframe that could turn the Japanese off? It's just the lack of new heavy hitters.

Dodece said:
Who can identify these numbers. They are relevant to this discussion, and somehow very knowledgeable posters have chosen not to discuss these. The current sales in Japan fall in line with a pattern. That is apparently independent of the performance of the other two consoles.

The Wii has lost over two thirds of its sales volume in just two months. Thats a impressive decline in sales. For two months Wii sales have slipped week after week. Should make even the ardent fan ask if the Wii is the end all and be all of gaming how could it have sacrificed so much volume.

There is a difference between selling five thousand less units and selling fifty thousand less units even if the margin denoted in percentages is the same. There is some valid discussion to be had here. I would love to read more analysis, and less belly aching.

Basically the assumption seems to be well its that time of the year, and that may well be part of it. However does that mean that demand might not also be falling. Remember this was a very hard to get item if people were trying to get it for months why aren't the units still being snatched up at a much higher level.

??????

Don't these numbers look similar to the ones posted above?

10/15/2000 - 24595
10/08/2000 - 29206
10/01/2000 - 31835
09/24/2000 - 34791
09/17/2000 - 34741
09/10/2000 - 52961
09/03/2000 - 50882
08/27/2000 - 53895
08/20/2000 - 61761
08/13/2000 - 65725
08/06/2000 - 68320

The PS2 turned out OK in Japan.