By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EU Data up - PS3 77K + Reached 5 Million - WHERE TO FROM HERE??

Hi, first post from me :)

I'm just speaking for what I saw in Switzerland and on things I read on German videogame-boards. There's a huge run on the 60 GB PS3 here, which is sold out in a lot of stores. I think especially hard core gamers want BC and the price of the 40GB version compared to the 60GB version is just a joke. I think a lot of people including me bought the 60GB version because of that. So at the Moment I'm not so sure if PS3 sales will stay at the same level.

But in terms of world wide sales, i think it's just fantastic for gamers: XBOX360 leading this week in the USA, PS3 in Europe and WII probably in Japan. That's good for the industry and the end we can profit most from this situation.

Around the Network
bkraehen said:

Hi, first post from me :)

I'm just speaking for what I saw in Switzerland and on things I read on German videogame-boards. There's a huge run on the 60 GB PS3 here, which is sold out in a lot of stores. I think especially hard core gamers want BC and the price of the 40GB version compared to the 60GB version is just a joke.

Welcome :) So Sony's little blackmail worked with their Swiss customers who want BC...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@bkraehen

welcome...

glad to see more and more neutral gamers joining VG charts

I agree with what your saying..

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

NJ5 said

Welcome :) So Sony's little blackmail worked with their Swiss customers who want BC...

Obviously yes, and i'm pretty sure that this is true for most european countries.

carlos710 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Ishy said:
no way 11 million sold by march 08, maybe 9 mill tho

The ps3 should be very close to 9 mil. by the end of the year. Why would it take them until March to sell that many?

Because they wont be close to 9 mil by end of the year.

Im willing to bet on that, they won't reach even 8 million on 2007

Why?  Generally, 50% of CE sales occur during the 4th quarter of the calendar year, because of the holiday saeson.  For example, last year, the 360 had only managed to sell ~4.5 mil. consoles worldwide by the end of September.  However, it managed to sell another ~4 mil. consoles throughout the holidays, bringing it's year end totalsclose to 9 mil. consoles sold.  Why would the same not happen for the ps3?  Especially with the recent price drops and addition of the 40gb SKU.  Not to mention the fact the ps3 is just now getting good games, like R&C5 and Uncharted.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
carlos710 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Ishy said:
no way 11 million sold by march 08, maybe 9 mill tho

The ps3 should be very close to 9 mil. by the end of the year. Why would it take them until March to sell that many?

Because they wont be close to 9 mil by end of the year.

Im willing to bet on that, they won't reach even 8 million on 2007

Why?  Generally, 50% of CE sales occur during the 4th quarter of the calendar year, because of the holiday saeson.  For example, last year, the 360 had only managed to sell ~4.5 mil. consoles worldwide by the end of September.  However, it managed to sell another ~4 mil. consoles throughout the holidays, bringing it's year end totalsclose to 9 mil. consoles sold.  Why would the same not happen for the ps3?  Especially with the recent price drops and addition of the 40gb SKU.  Not to mention the fact the ps3 is just now getting good games, like R&C5 and Uncharted.

Well it is (typically) between 30% and 50% ...

Last year the XBox 360 was (pretty much) the only one of the next generation systems that was in stock in any real supply and was really starting to hit its stride; Gears of War was a major game last holiday season, was the first real "Next Generation" game in terms of graphics, and had a massive ad campaign.

This year the PS3 will face strong competition from the XBox 360 and Wii; the Wii is far less expensive, has a solid line-up, and is very (VERY) family friendly; and the XBox 360 easily has the best line-up of the three with Bio-Shock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and versions of most of the PS3's strongest titles.

HappySqurriel said:

expensive, has a solid line-up, and is very (VERY) family friendly; and the XBox 360 easily has the best line-up of the three with Bio-Shock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and versions of most of the PS3's strongest titles.

Who you kidding with that ?

Since day one PS3 strongest titles were Sony made, and it wont change any time soon with Ratchet or Uncharted.  Maybe you think thsoe two will apper on 360 ?  

How long will the NEXT 5 Million take?

Congrats to PS3 on 5M.  They should be hitting 10M next summer. 

For Comparison:

Weeks to 5M
Weeks from 5-10M
 49 33
 Wii 14 22
 PS3 48 

Competition is good for everyone. 

I understand when people say that PES 2008 is a good game and all, but just what makes you believe that it will move systems like there's no tomorrow? Especially when you can play the very same game on xbox, and it'll be cheaper(in terms of buying console+game)? Cool your heads down, the game is awesome, but it's not as if a football game will suddenly redefine ps3 sales.

Good job Sony for making people buy your product. I just wonder how sales would look like if they never announced that the 60 gb sku was discontinued? I guess that sales will drop by 40% after two weeks and raise a bit again for the holidays.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Mars said:
HappySqurriel said:

expensive, has a solid line-up, and is very (VERY) family friendly; and the XBox 360 easily has the best line-up of the three with Bio-Shock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and versions of most of the PS3's strongest titles.

Who you kidding with that ?

Since day one PS3 strongest titles were Sony made, and it wont change any time soon with Ratchet or Uncharted.  Maybe you think thsoe two will apper on 360 ?  

A couple of months ago Call of Duty 4, Army of Two, Assassin's Creed, Half Life 2: The Orange Box, and Devil May Cry 4 were considered pretty big games ...