By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Brezinski Calls for Obama to Shoot Down Israeli Jets

"A Liberty in Reverse"

In a little noticed interview with the Daily Beast (presumably little noticed because serious people don't read the Daily Beast), Zbigniew Brzezinski suggests that Barack Obama do more than just refuse to support an Israeli strike on Iran's nuclear sites -- the American president must give the order to shoot down Israeli aircraft as they cross Iraqi airspace:

DB: How aggressive can Obama be in insisting to the Israelis that a military strike might be in America’s worst interest?

Brzezinski: We are not exactly impotent little babies. They have to fly over our airspace in Iraq. Are we just going to sit there and watch?

DB: What if they fly over anyway?

Brzezinski: Well, we have to be serious about denying them that right. That means a denial where you aren’t just saying it. If they fly over, you go up and confront them. They have the choice of turning back or not. No one wishes for this but it could be a Liberty in reverse.

Contrary to Brezinski's half-hearted disclaimer that no one wishes for such an outcome, there are plenty on the left who would delight in a pitched battle between the United States and Israel. Democrats in Congress routinely support resolutions affirming Israel's right to take whatever steps it deems necessary to assure its own national defense. And Obama has at least paid lip service to the concept. But hostility to Israel among the rank and file is very real on the left -- and among "realists."

So conjure the image -- the Obama administration sending U.S. aircraft up to protect Iran's airspace and it's nuclear installations from an attack by a democracy that is one of America's closest allies. Unfortunately, this may not be so hard to imagine in Israel, where the number of people who believe Obama is pro-Israel is at just 4 percent -- and falling. And given Obama's (literally) submissive posture to the Saudis, his indulgence of the Iranians, and his simultaneously hard-line approach to Israel, it seems even some of Obama's supporters can savor the possibility of a "reverse Liberty."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/09/brezinski_calls_for_obama_to_s.asp

---------------
Brezinski has got to be kidding me right?  Well he did serve under Carter as a dove so...

Around the Network

I have no clue who this is. I thought this was going to be about the Gears of War guy.

Who is this asshole?

Because all the liberals are Israel hating bastards! Yeah!

Rath said:

In general liberals due seem rather apathetic towards Israel.  Quite a few heavier leaning left wing people blame Israel for the middle east hating us... and think if we just gave them the heave ho and let the country die  the middle east would suddenly like us.

Around the Network

So that's the weekly standard... What a shitty partisan smear rag...

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

It wouldn't be up to us to shoot them down if they violated Iraqi airspace, that would be up to the Iraqis, who aren't up to the task.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

It wouldn't be up to us to shoot them down if they violated Iraqi airspace, that would be up to the Iraqis, who aren't up to the task.

Yep per the SoFA.  These elite libs are soooo pathetic.  Btw, Brezinski is an elite foreign policy advisor under numerous admins including Carter for the person who wanted to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbigniew_Brzezinski

The Dems consider him their Kissinger.

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

In general liberals due seem rather apathetic towards Israel.  Quite a few heavier leaning left wing people blame Israel for the middle east hating us... and think if we just gave them the heave ho and let the country die  the middle east would suddenly like us.

Liberals are quite as mindlessly pro-Israel as the last Bush administration was. He seemed to be on their leash.

I don't think there are many that actually want the country gone though - can you give me proof of that?

My personal position is that Israel is there to stay but needs to make better efforts for peace. They need to dismantle the settlements in the West Bank, give the Palestinians the West Bank immediatly as a state (Gaza when it comes under control of a force not sworn to destroying Israel) and pay compensation to Palestinians instead of the right of return (which just wouldn't work for Israel).

In my opinion Netanhyu is not the right man for making peace in the Middle East, he's just making it worse.

Rath said:
Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

Liberals are quite as mindlessly pro-Israel as the last Bush administration was. He seemed to be on their leash.

I don't think there are many that actually want the country gone though - can you give me proof of that?

My personal position is that Israel is there to stay but needs to make better efforts for peace. They need to dismantle the settlements in the West Bank, give the Palestinians the West Bank immediatly as a state (Gaza when it comes under control of a force not sworn to destroying Israel) and pay compensation to Palestinians instead of the right of return (which just wouldn't work for Israel).

In my opinion Netanhyu is not the right man for making peace in the Middle East, he's just making it worse.

"mindlessly" pro israel is a pretty good start to having to prove that actually.

Just read these boards to what some of the more leftwing members have to say on it.

There have been plenty of arguements about it in the past.

As for actual politicians.  They're not going to lose the Jewish vote by saying they're anti-israel.  It's a small vote but every demographic is important... and latley the democrats actually get it more then they don't.

Here is a poll though that helps prove my point.

While 75% of Republicans say Israel is an ally of the United States, just 55% of Democrats agree. Seven percent (7%) of Democrats say Israel is an enemy of America, but only one percent (1%) of Republicans say the same.

7% of democrats say Israel is an enemy of the united states... only slightly more then half think they are our allies.  More left wing people in the democratic party HATE israel.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/isreal_the_middle_east/americans_closely_divided_over_israel_s_gaza_attacks