By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: New SE RPG for the DS, Dragon Quest IX for PSP

Japanese magazine Game Labo has reported that Square Enix is to announce a new RPG for the Nintendo DS. According to the magazine, the game will be based on Shonen Jump's characters.

The magazine has also reported that Dragon Quest IX is under secret development for the Sony PSP.

First Scan: http://www.forever-fantasy.net/images/news/october_gameloborumors_01.jpgSecond Scan: http://www.forever-fantasy.net/images/news/october_gameloborumors_02.jpg

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199682

Around the Network

for the PSP, eh? I am planning to get both a PSP and a DS in the near future so it wouldn't have mattered to me, but well good for Sony if they actually pulled that off.

And the sky is gonna be green in exactly two years. See i can do that too!!

Seriously, DQ IX on the PSP would be just suicide, the game sells in Japan only and DS sales there are three times the sales of the PSP.

Can't read Japanese so no clue what the scans say.  However, I noticed on the link that there was some mention of a new DS being released next year.  I wander what that is all about?

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

I doubt the PSP rumour is true.

A RPG using Shonen Jump characters? Sounds to good to be true.

It is Game labo thought. When it comes to rumours I here they are the Japanese version of EGM.

Around the Network

I could understand Dragon Quest 8 on the PSP but 9 makes no sense. I guess we'll see...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Considering IX was developed for the DS I don't see it transferring to the the PSP too well. A game like Puzzle Quest can go on a bajillion systems fine but I really doubt that SE didn't take advantage of the touch screen capabilities *and* having two screens. If they did come out with DQIX on the PSP, it would be the inferior version and would sell like crap on an already smaller userbase.

you can't just assume that the PSP version is worse twestern

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
you can't just assume that the PSP version is worse twestern

Sure I can, though these are just guesses like everyone else's.  Here's just a quick rundown why I do thiink it will be worse:

1. DQIX was started as a DS game and the core gameplay was made thinking it was a DS game.
  2. Since it was designed as a DS game, it was made to have two screens.  This could be a moot point though since the second screen *could* just be menu, stats, whatever.
  3. The game is more than likely going to use touch screen support and the gameplay is goign to be centered around that.  Most touch screen controls can be transferred to normal controls, but as long as the controls are not gimmicky and tacked on, this doesn't always work well.
DQIX for the PSP could have a graphical push but it wouldn't show as much information at one time and the controls would likely be inferior hence my thinking it would be the inferior version.  That's just like saying that RE4 for the GC and the PS2 are the inferior versions due to RE4: Wii Edition.

I'd like to see what the new DS one is. That makes me happy to see more for DS. The PSP thing... Nah. Waste of cash for them to do this.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009