By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 is now AHEAD of 360 in 2009 sales.

@cgi, thanks for changing ur sig lol that girl looked rly ugly no offense lol.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
numonex said:
CGI-Quality said:
numonex said:
CGI-Quality said:
numonex said:
It is not over yet. Do not count your chickens before they have hatched. The PS3 Slim launch was just a spike in sales due to people having delayed purchases of PS3 waiting for a year for the PS3 to fall to a reasonable price and there were the owners who simply upgraded to the new PS3 Slim 120GB model.

The Wii price cut will slow down both the PS3 and 360 sales.

You call going from 103,000 one week, to 550,000 another and 306,000 another, "just a spike"? I guess we'll see won't we, the weeks of truth are closing in...

We should wait for the monthly NPD/Media Create/GfK numbers before we jump to any conclusions. There will be adjustments made that will change the VGC numbers. Anyway I will say over tracked if the PS3 does some how outsell the XBox 360 by more than 1 million units in total for the year. I will accept the PS3 outselling the 360 by 1 million or less units in 2009 due to it being at a more affordable price and having more games available.

Fall from 550k to 306k -  next week will be around 200k. Just a spike due to the delayed PS3 Slim launches. PS3 Slim launched in NA on August 24. PS3 Slim launched in Europe and Japan on September 1.

@tedsteriscool - the Wii is competing with both PS3 and 360. They are all game consoles selling to consumers and the  Wii sales impact on the other two systems. Wii @ $199 would appear more attractive in price than a PS3 or an XBox 360 especially for children who have the most time to play video games. The parents will definitely buy Wii instead of the PS360 due to games being more family orientated. Believe or not the Wii is competing against both the XBox 360 and  the PS3.

Dude, a 450,000 sale increase isn't not "just a spike". You need to understand that.

450k leap on previous week was a  temporary huge sales spike due to extremely low PS3 weekly sales for most of the year leading up to PS3 Slim launch. $100 price reduction is $100 less sales revenue/profit Sony will make on every PS3 unit sold. Increased demand was expected from the initial launch with the $299 PS3 Slim.

Within two weeks from now the PS3 will be back to the 180k to 200k sales per week and be close to the Wii and XBox 360 weekly sales. Halo:ODST launch will put the XBox 360 in front of the PS3 in weekly sales again for a week or two.

How come I didn't see you posting this stuff when the 360 got it's price cut after just 2 weeks?

I had no idea how long the PS3 sales boost would last.  Now we see the PS3 Slim sales are in decline. 44% decrease in  one week after its peak sales week of 550k and it should continue to fall in successive weekly sales weeks. A pattern is clearly emerging now. I like to see how things unfold before making any predictions.

PS3 sales between 200 and 250k are expected for next week as all three regions sell PS3 less sales than the previous week. The Halo:ODST week could see the X360 temporarily back in front of the PS3 with a sales boost due to the launch of the 360s biggest game in 2009. Halo:ODST launch week PS3 and X360 both between 150k and 200k.

numonex said:
CGI-Quality said:
numonex said:

Anyway I will say over tracked if the PS3 does some how outsell the XBox 360 by more than 1 million units in total for the year.

So, if the PS3 outsells your system by more than a million in 2009, you're going to stick your fingers in your ears and sing "overtracked, la la la"?

What a credible response.

numonex said:
CGI-Quality said:
numonex said:
CGI-Quality said:
numonex said:
CGI-Quality said:
numonex said:

I had no idea how long the PS3 sales boost would last.  Now we see the PS3 Slim sales are in decline. 44% decrease in  one week after its peak sales week of 550k and it should continue to fall in successive weekly sales weeks. A pattern is clearly emerging now. I like to see how things unfold before making any predictions.

Honestly, this numonex guy has me in stitches sometimes!

"A pattern is clearly emerging now" - you say it like we were all sitting here, after the PS3 hit 550k, unsure what would happen to sales the following week! We didn't need to wait for a pattern to appear from the darkness. It's common sense that sales would decline.

It gets even funnier though - "I like to see how things unfold before making any predictions"... so, what you're saying is, you like to wait and see how something turns out and then make your prediction? Hahaha. I can see it now - "oooh, I don't know what the 360 will sell next week... I'll wait til next week's figures come in and then I'll make my prediction, seems safe!"

Unbelievable. I'm almost lost for words.

Squilliam said:
The Xbox 360 is just letting the PS3 get a little ahead to make Natal look more spectacular. Its pretty obvious....

This. It won't be long before the 360's back in second.

Around the Network

Awesome news for the Black Beauty! PS3 is gonna pack a huge punch this holiday season, too. Respect to SONY-san

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

kowenicki said:
mario64 said:
I bet first PS3 slim week, PS3 will outsell the 360 33:1 in Japan and completely humiliate your console of choice.

My bad, it already happened too.

How come Tim_duncan has been allowed back?  I thought he was perma banned....

Don't cry, Ebay is your friend.

Congrats to Sony, it didn't take them long after the slim to outsell the 360 again...

Congrats to Sony.

LOLLLLLLL. again NATAL WILL NOT help 360 sales. mayb a 50-100k boost week 1, then a 30-70 k boost week 2, and back to the norm again after 3-5 weeks.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Consoles owned: Game Cube, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3.

My prediction: NATAL WILL NOT help 360 sales. Maybe a 50-100k boost week 1, then a 30-70 k boost week 2, and back to the norm again after 3-5 weeks.