By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live: Overpriced

During a couple of my last posts I had written about how Xbox Live is over priced, but never offered too much of an explanation.  I mean the articles where about different topics, but there were numerous comment postings defending XBL.  I wanted to lay out my case that Microsoft is clearly over charging for Live and that some of the downloadable content is nothing more then a money grab.  That is not to say Sony is innocent with the PSN, but it is easier to forgive them for that.  The Playstation Network is free afterall, isn’t it?

$50 a year

That price tag is not a huge expense but it should always be considered when determining the value of the consoles.  Currently both HD consoles are running at a price of $299.  If you where a new consumer trying to decide which one to purchase and which one offers you the best deal, why would you not factor this price into your decision?  The 360 already is looking woefully under powered when compared to the PS3 Slim at the same price point.  Don’t think that is fair, and is just my opinion?  Maybe, but which console comes with packed in Wi-Fi and a high def movie playback device?  To pretend that these features do not matter is nothing more then keeping your head in the sand.

So then you put another fifty dollars a year on the overall cost of the 360 and it is looking even worse in apples to apples comparrison.  But Hamsterfist you say, you get a much better service.  Really?!?! I would ask you back, how?  Let’s take a further look at all the ‘features’ that are not available on the PSN and seriously ask ourselves if they are worth the price of admission.

Cross Game/Party Chat

This is the biggie.  The one and only actual feature Microsoft can hold over Sony’s head.  Guess what though?  It is clear that Sony wants cross game chat as well, it is rumored that EA is the one that held them back on this past update.  What does that mean?  That means as soon as EA irons out their shit, Sony will be implementing some new mic support.  What will there be left to whine about or gloat about?  Nothing.  Sony will for all intents and purposes will have closed the gap, and maybe even exceded XBL. 

You want to pay fifty dollars a year to play with digital Barbie Dolls, go right ahead.  Me, I could have lived without.  I will admit the new ability to earn little do hickeys is kind of neat, but it is still nothing more then window dressing.  Sony offered up the abortion that is Home, again free.  Aren’t you glad all the major console manufacturers think you are a nine year old girl?

Netflix/Twitter/Facebook

Another cool feature, but completely overstated by supporters.  Yes I too watch Netflix movies on my Xbox, but this is something I could easily be doing on my PC.  Now the upcoming Twitter/Facebook access will only be available to Gold users.  This makes ZERO sense, and does nothing but alienate the userbase.  Just like Netflix, these services are available FREE on the PC.  So I am going to pay so I can Twitter my latest gamerscore?  I think not.

Integration

Many XBL users will make the case that it is better integrated into the experience than PSN is.  Another moot point and one that is not even factual.  Sony could have done a better job with their window designs, and distinguishing the categories, but the simple fact is they are there.  Microsoft’s user interface became a cluttered mess, but the underlying design aspect is solid.  So this must be worth fifty dollars a year.  Ummmm.  No.

Peer to peer

Yes, that is correct.  Most of your online play will take place on peer to peer servers.  As in, there are no servers.  This is a rip off, costs Microsoft basically nothing and can ruin many games.  It gives the host advantages that should not exsist, and quite frankly is a slap in the face to all the paying customers.  Where are the servers?

Microsoft points

My pet peeve.  This was an arbitrary pricing system that was created with nothing more then the intent of holding onto your cash, interest free.  If you are purchasing games, add ons, Rock Band tracks you are going to run into odd amounts of Microsoft Points left over.  These points will end up just sitting there, because it is almost impossible to buy the right merchandise to get your account to zero dollars.  At the end of this console generation I am sure plenty of people will have some small balance of points.  Microsoft will have effectively stolen money from everyone.  Congratulations on getting robbed.

Games on Demand

I will say this as Yoda, excited I was when I heard about Games on Demand.  Instantly downloading Microsoft hits.  They can’t be more then twenty dollars, right?  Wrong you would be.  Yes some are at that point, yet inexplicably something like Meet the Robinsons is thrity dollars.  Then compare an instant download to a used game sale.  Prey on Games on Demand, $20.  Used on Amazon?  $4.25.  Yes you read that correctly.  I know Microsoft is technically selling you a ‘new’ game.  Just don’t be fooled by this.  Become an informed consumer.

What else did I miss?  I still am waiting for a legitimate answer as to why XBL Gold should still be as expensive as it currently is.  The price point does nothing but hurt Microsoft as of now.  Do I think it should be free?  No, but I am seriously considering canceling my Gold account until the price drops down, offically, to $20 a year. 

Around the Network

Yawn.

PSN is free and some would say it is already at the same quality.

*grabs popcorn*

Only suckers pay $50 a year for Live.

Peer 2 Peer is crap

look at Fat princess....

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Peer 2 Peer is crap

look at Fat princess....

I know right.  These people have been playing laggy, unfair, unbearable matches continuously for 2 years now.

• Halo 3 Players Online:
  • Unique Players (Last 24 Hours):
  • Matches Logged (Last 24 Hours):

Another "paying for Live sucks" topic. I understand this a post from a linked article, but we have seen hundreds of these already. People have been writing and complaining about paying for Live since it's inception, but guess what......Millions are still doing it and it is only getting more popular.

Personally, I have no issues for paying for Live, and never will. I love what it offers. I enjoy what PSN offers me on my PS3 for free......but it will never be the same quality as what Live offers me (IMO).....but hey, that's why I pay for it.

Xbox Live is the best thing ever. Nothing can even touch it.

20 million unique users (not accounts) with probably 12 million paying users can't be wrong. I mean PSN is good for what it is, a free service, but if you want the best experience you can think of, get xbox live gold.

ahh yeah and btw: who pays $50 these days?

And I am GLAD MS Points exist. If not I would have to pay 10€ / Arcade game e.g. With special offers, MS Points from UK etc I am at 6-7€.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

JaggedSac said:
PullusPardus said:
Peer 2 Peer is crap

look at Fat princess....

I know right.  These people have been playing laggy, unfair, unbearable matches continuously for 2 years now.

• Halo 3 Players Online:
  • Unique Players (Last 24 Hours):
  • Matches Logged (Last 24 Hours):

don't know what you are trying to show here, mr sarcastic comedian.

but i am saying P2P is crap (for me) ,not everyone can have little PING anywhere in the world you know? that means more lag if the people playing with you don't live close.

Hey, that's a nice arguement you made there after like, what, a hundred people?

Now, I play xbox live alot and enjoyed it for the past six years and loved the content it's been givin' out.  And I do enjoy reading articles from guys like these who just write about Microsoft's inhumane corporate skanks.  That's fine.

However, if you truly believe Microsoft's Xbox Live is a fraud, then why not go get a lawyer...AND SUE THE BASTARDS!!!!111!!!*  Seriously...  I mean, Jesus Christ, you people complain so much that Microsoft is ripping you off, yet Xbox Live is getting even more popular without even knowing it.  You just only sit on your chair with your computer and whine and complain; I'm clearly not.  I mean, how come this seem to be big deal.  And I hate this arguement, "The PSN is free afterall, isn't it."  So what?!  What gain will Sony get for a free online service?

"I wanted to lay out my case that Microsoft is clearly over charging for Live and that some of the downloadable content is nothing more then a money grab."

Well, it looks like you already did.  Now, send an invitation to Microsoft for a court meeting.  I would really love to see any justification from both sides.

Come on: you have the evidence, change the world, make shitload 'a money, and have fun.  *dipshit*