By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New Charles Darwin film is 'too controversial' for religious American audiences

A new British film about Charles Darwin has failed to land a distribution deal in the States because his theories on human evolution are too controversial for religious American audiences, according to the film's producer.

Creation follows the British naturalist's 'struggle between faith and reason' as he wrote his 1859 book, On The Origin Of The Species.

The film, directed by Jon Amielm was chosen to open the Toronto Film Festival and has now been sold to almost every territory in the world.

But US distributors have turned down the film that could cause uproar in a country that, on the whole, dismisses scientific theories of the way we evolved.

Christian film review website Movieguide.org described Darwin as 'a racist, a bigot and a 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder.'

The site also stated that his 'half-baked theory' influenced Adolf Hitler and led to 'atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and generic engineering.'

Jeremy Thomas, the Oscar-winning producer of Creation, said he was astonished that such attitudes exist 150 years after On The Origin of Species was published.

'That's what we're up against. In 2009. It's amazing,' he said.

'The film has no distributor in America. It has got a deal everywhere else in the world but in the US, and it's because of what the film is about. People have been saying this is the best film they've seen all year, yet nobody in the US has picked it up.

'It is unbelievable to us that this is still a really hot potato in America. There's still a great belief that He made the world in six days.

'It's quite difficult for we in the UK to imagine religion in America. We live in a country which is no longer so religious. But in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules.

Around the Network

The thread title confused me. I came in expecting a movie made by Charles Darwin. This is much less interesting

On topic: I bet it isn't being showed in Vatican City either

I don't remember what polls have been posted, but I gotta question the statement that US citizens, "on the whole, [dismiss] scientific theories of the way we evolved."

In any case, that is HORRIBLE if it is an accurate protrayal of the reasons it hasn't been picked up, which seems plausible. Also, I suppose it depends on the film's tone, but I doubt it's anti-Christian or anything.

[edit:  On second thought, I like Kasz's theory better, especially now that I've noticed the BS he was talking about everyone in the US outside of NYC and LA being a religious nut.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Guy doesn't get distribution deal.

Blames someone else.

That's the gist of the story, yes?

By the way. Nobody decided to release my movie " Ultra Ninja Cybrog Zombie Fighters 5" because America is too stupid to understand the intricate details of Ninja Cyborg Zombie fighting.

Also it should be noted that American citizens don't actually decide what's released or not... the distribution companies do.

Though I mean he does have apoint... I mean what... with all the sceintific documentries lining the top of the charts and everything... i mean nothing spells massive blockbuster like scientific documentry.

I mean... if you look at some of the documentries that do get distribution deals... there is stuff far more offensive to christianity then this. 

This just didn't get a deal because the producers thought it would be boring and wouldn't sell.

I mean Jesus Camp got a distribution deal.  Dogma was released...  Bill Maher had a documentry that was him calling religious people idiots for a couple hours and it placed 10th in the box office opening weekend.

So no.  I'm not buying what they're selling... and I can't see how anyone can when looking at things logically. 

He's just bitter that this has "History Channel" deal all over it instead of "Movie" deal.

dsister44 said:
The thread title confused me. I came in expecting a movie made by Charles Darwin. This is much less interesting

The Catholic Church has essentially admitted evolution is the way we originated. So the only reason it won't show in the Vatican is because I don't think they have a movie theatre (do they???).

Around the Network

Please, this movie is not "too controversial." I concur with Kasz's sentiments; the producer is simply deflecting the blame. There have been other movies that were easily more "controversial" to the religious than this.  

dsister44 said:

The vaticans official stance on evolution is that it does happen, they accept that the theory is true but they ascertain that god was the one that put it in motion, to make it compatible with Christian teachings. source

damkira said:

Christian film review website Movieguide.org described Darwin as 'a racist, a bigot and a 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder.'

The site also stated that his 'half-baked theory' influenced Adolf Hitler and led to 'atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and generic engineering.'

Did movieguide.org really say that? I'm outraged, that's horrible, evolution is a scientific theory, it has never lead to or intended to be used as a means of reasoning for genocide. If they want to talk about genocide in a an unfair manner then I'm ready to throw down, you don't fuck around with lame accusations of genocide willy nilly!

OT: I can see how the movie didn't get a deal, not because it would be controversial (quite frankly controversy sells), but because it wouldn't make sense financially to release a film in a country where 90% of moviegoers don't acknowledge the subject of your film and will not go to see it because of this. You might as well release a film in Turkish.

now they blaming poor charles darwin of WWII.

I just went on to the movieguide.org website, it's sickening, absolutely sickening, they have no morals at all. Basically anything atheist is responsible for some genocide at some point. Look at this "review" for a book about Charles Darwin, it's nothing but sickening slander. There's tonnes of this shit on the site.

... it's poorly written too, it's like they've let a kid loose with a well used thesaurus and an axe to grind lol.

source

Book Review: DARWIN'S RACISTS - YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW

September 9th, 2009

Editor's Note:  From time to time, MOVIEGUIDE® reviews books which are noteworthy. Here is a very timely book.

DARWIN'S RACISTS - YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW

Quality: * * * * Acceptability: +4

RELEASE:  Summer 2009

WRITERS: Sharon Sebastian and Raymond G. Bohlin

DISTRIBUTOR:  Virtualbookworm.com Publishing

CONTENT:  (CCC, BBB) Very, very Christian, biblical worldview; and, nothing objectionable.

GENRE:  History

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  All ages

REVIEWER: Dr. Ted Baehr

REVIEW:  DARWIN'S RACISTS - YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW exposes the real Charles Darwin: a racist, a bigot and 1800's naturalist whose legacy is mass murder. This well written book shows that Adolf Hitler, along with other genocidal mass murderers, was influenced by Darwin's half-baked Theory of Evolution. This book exposes Darwin's Theory of Evolution for what it is: an elitist and racist dogma that has infiltrated our every area of culture thereby undermining sense and sensibility.

DARWIN'S RACISTS succinctly covers, among other revealing topics, who Darwin was, his impact on the human race, evolution and naturalism, agnosticism, creation, Charles Darwin's family and friends, Darwin's sickness, the eugenics nightmare, Darwin's racists, frauds, and fakes, atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering, and the impact of Darwin's thought on our rights and freedoms today. Thus, two conflicting and discordant worldviews are examined along with the history, theology and science that support them. Also examined are the differing impacts that creation vs. evolution have had on ethnic, racial and class distinctions in our society.