By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Production Costs

it depends on the game and how many developers and how long its been in development. its impossible to lump all wii games together

Long Live SHIO!

Around the Network

Here is a good list for a ps3/360 game, although I think Nintendo gets a bigger slice of the console owner fee.

Art/Design $15

Programming and Engineering $12

Retail $ 12

Console owner fee $7

Marketing $4

Market Development Fund $3

Manufacturing Costs, Packaging $3

Licensing $3

Publisher Profit $1

Distributor: $1

Corporate Costs: $.20

Hardware Development
= 60 dollars

theprof00 said:
Hmm, ok then.

I'll give it a shot.
Nintendo makes about 8+ in licensing fees.
about 15-20 goes to the retailers.

So for a 50$ game, the devs make about 32+$
Then you need to factor in dev costs and so forth.
it probably comes to about 6$ profit per game.

I think most wii games require about 300-400k sales to turn profit, so that would mean they cost maybe 2-4M, high quality ones being the latter, or maybe about 6M or so.

Well prof let me help with your analysis by giving some information. According to Nintendo the most expensive game made for the wii so far as before e3 2009 was Mario Galaxy for ~20 million dollars.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

izaaz101 said:
theprof00 said:
Hmm, ok then.

I'll give it a shot.
Nintendo makes about 8+ in licensing fees.
about 15-20 goes to the retailers.

So for a 50$ game, the devs make about 32+$
Then you need to factor in dev costs and so forth.
it probably comes to about 6$ profit per game.

I think most wii games require about 300-400k sales to turn profit, so that would mean they cost maybe 2-4M, high quality ones being the latter, or maybe about 6M or so.

You've left out publishers. And I'm assuming you're lumping in distributors with retailers?

Am I the only one who noticed that by his math:

Nintendo 8 $ retail 15$ devs 32$= 57 bucks using lowest figures posted there?

I love being math nazi 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Nintendo makes $500 on a $50 game because the invest the money into great ideas like the DS and Wii and Pokemon and Mario 2D there is no stopping Nintendo long live the king!

Sega was the king but they died.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Here is a good list for a ps3/360 game, although I think Nintendo gets a bigger slice of the console owner fee.

Art/Design $15

Programming and Engineering $12

Retail $ 12

Console owner fee $7

Marketing $4

Market Development Fund $3

Manufacturing Costs, Packaging $3

Licensing $3

Publisher Profit $1

Distributor: $1

Corporate Costs: $.20

Hardware Development < $.03

= 60 dollars

It doesn't really work like that with things like Art/Design/Programming all seperated out.

I have notes somewhere on the typical last gen game and where money goes, I'll try to dig them up tonight if I remember.

Sounds like a lot of guesses, oh well. That thing about reggie saying it costs much less than 1 mill on average was helpful though.

FFX cost = 30 million
FF XII cost = 40 million.

yet i don't think many last gen even pass 15 million.

DarkD said:
Sounds like a lot of guesses, oh well. That thing about reggie saying it costs much less than 1 mill on average was helpful though.

No, he said that they need to sell much less than a million copies.

DarkD said:

lol maybe Chicken Shoot cost less than a million but any average game will cost at least 7 million.