By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Super Mario Bros. 3 was the last great Mario game.

i liked mario through super mario world but ill agree that SMB 3 was the best. Hands down.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

My favorite game of all time its SMB3.. im playing it right now, again... i dont think SMW, SMG, SMS are bad.. i liked them too...

We are Wii....Waiting for Pikmin 3! and Pikmin 2 NPC...

Playing:

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Minecraft!

-  Venezuela FTW!       

So he's pretty much saying that pretty much every game since, say, 1996 is worse than pretty much every game before 1996?

I guess tutorials are the new devil.

That's impossiable mario galxy was the last great mario game what he said i wrong.FACT

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

twesterm said:
So he's pretty much saying that pretty much every game since, say, 1996 is worse than pretty much every game before 1996?

I guess tutorials are the new devil.

I remember thinking the tutorial in Ocarina of Time was really, really awesome.

Ditto Galaxy, actually.

Super Mario 64, too.

Around the Network

On Tutorials : OFC there were no tutorials in the past. The NES pad had 2 fucking buttons. What kind of stupid tutorial would this be?

I agree that tutorials nowadays shouldn't feel like tutorials.

These guys are to analytical. But you cannot analyze a game. You have to analyze your experience. They basicly fail to have the corrent intended experience by trying to find every flaw in the game and ruining their experience. It's their own fault if they cannot enjoy these games.

I personaly enjoyed SMS more than any other mario before and after. And I enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie more than SM64 and I enjoed FF8 more than any other FF before and after(FF6 comes so close >_> but FF is more a story than a game :>). Wanna know why? B/C i had no fucking clue what these games would be, B/C i was expecting nothing from these games and i couldn't be dissapointed.

EDIT:

OH on sins: So ja it'S kind of a basic. Taking controll away from player is bad. Lenghty cutscenes or FMV(these break immersion by alternating graphics) is a sin too b/c they are received passively and games are an active medium and b/c they take away the controlls) are a sin too. .... WAIT?

Why is MGS and FF then so succsessful?

Alterego-X said:
liquidninja, I start to believe that you consciously post his most controversial game analysis grabbed out of context to make it look like he hates Ninendo, and not just trying to understand the key to its old POPULARITY and SUCCESS..

I can see why you might think that. But actually I keep posting these because he's one of the few people in the internet gaming scene that feals the same way about these games as I do. Whenever anyone says that Mario games aren't as good as they used to be it's quickly dissmissed as unimportant.

AdventWolf said:
How could you like SMB 3 and not like SMW? That game was excellent, in fact I feel like playing it now.

Very easily.

^So you don't even like it a bit?

AdventWolf said:
^So you don't even like it a bit?

I liked it. Just not as much as the NES ones.

On the Kotaku article: the only time that sort of thing really bugs me is when i'm consciously doing something different than what the game recommends, like if i'm going out of my way to get a pickup in Metroid Prime, and that damn alert keeps coming up, pointing me in the direction of the item i'm supposed to be getting. Or whenever i chose to take time out to get the Biggoron's Sword in OoT, and Navi would yell at me persistently to tackle whichever temple i should be going to.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.