By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MW2 (X360) to have the greatest release in Videogame-history?

Hey guys,

Checking the pre-orders VGC published, I was blown away by the success of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox360.

There are 1,080,000 pre-orders already and the release is still 10 weeks away. There were 134,000 new pre-orders last week. So it is a very safe bet, that the pre-orders for MW2 will be like 2.4 million or even more, since pre-orders keep on growing faster as closer the release comes and marketing campaigns kick in.

CoD WaW sold close to 50% of the NA sales in the first week in Europe/Others. And like 40% of the NA sales of MW1 happened in Europe. I think 600k - 700k is very possible for the first week.

Now it is hard to tell how much people buy the game without a pre-order. 900k sales from people who have not pre-ordered MW2 are enough to secure an INSANE 4 million first week.

The fact that Square Enix gonna publish this game in Japan won't hurt sales over there either.

A 4 million first week would not only make this the best release a game had this generation,but this would mean the very best release a video game on one single system ever had in this industry.

Here are the top10 releases for this gen:

1. Halo 3 (X360): 3.815 million
  2. GTA IV (X360): 3.378 million
  3. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii): 2.723 million
  4. GTA IV (PS3): 2.548 million
  5. Mario Kart Wii (Wii): 2.372 million
  6. Gears of War 2 (X360): 1.946 million
  7. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3):1.772 million
  8. Wii Fit (Wii): 1.627 million
  9. Call of Duty: WaW (X360): 1.302 million
  10. Resident Evil 5 (PS3): 1.098 million

The data for older generations is incomplete, but as far as we know the greatest release so far was GTA San Andreas for the PS2 with 3.986 million. So a 4 million first week would be the best release EVER!

What do you think, is this possible?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

very possible but to beat halo 3 damn.... idk

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is actually number 7 on your list.

4 million is definitely possible. The MW2 360 numbers in NA are going to be crazy first week.

Dallinor said:

I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is actually number 7 on your list.

4 million is definitely possible. The MW2 360 numbers in NA are going to be crazy first week.

lol? I thought I already had it in there :D

well thanks, gonna fix it.

I actually think this might be quite big dissapointment when it fails to set new records everyone expects from it.

X360 version might be somewhere beetween 2-3M imho for first week.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
I actually think this might be quite big dissapointment when it fails to set new records everyone expects from it.

as great as a 2-3 million launch week is, why do you think it will sell so low? American pre-orders only will be between 2-3 million. So this + Japan + Europe + Americans without a pre-order won't so anything?

If you check the XBL stats, Halo 3 and the call of duty games are always fighting for the first place (Gears of Wars 2 didn't survived long agains't those two...).

So, if a game can beat Halo 3 first week sales, it is MW2.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Halo 3 is pretty hard to beat, but maybe it will be done. This is one game which actually has a chance of doing that.

DirtyP2002 said:
Zlejedi said:

as great as a 2-3 million launch week is, why do you think it will sell so low? American pre-orders only will be between 2-3 million. So this + Japan + Europe + Americans without a pre-order won't so anything?

I simply don't belive it will sell more than Halo 3 and twice as much as Gears of War.

We can use Gow as example here:

Gow 1 sold 910k first week and 5,90M total so far

Gow 2 which enjoyed same kind of fame from succesfull part one as MW2 does sold 1,945M first week and 5,14M so far

Considering that MW1 had 1041k first week and 7,71M total sales i don't see MW2 selling more than 3M first week and my resonable prediction would be 2500k for first week.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I'm starting to get tired of the CoD series. Is allways the same.

After buyng CoD4 and CoD WaW, I tink this time I wiil pass MW2, because I play a lot more KILLZONE 2 than CoD 4 and WaW together.

Uncharted & The Last of Us 

(Definitely, best games of last Gen)