By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there a solution for the 360 DVD capacity issue?

the only multi-disc games on 360 have tons of FMV. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Wojtas said:
^ if that's the case, HDD is the best option out of the predicament. It has been said many times that swapping a HDD for a bigger one is not a problem.

Then developers would be abandoning the entire Core base.  I'm sure there's a large amount of casuals out there who have yet to by an HDD.

fazz said: Procedural generation. On-the fly generation of textures and such via pure code instead of storing them raw on the disc. But actual consoles may be too weak to do that. Also, this is a very heavy duty for developers so by default there are some that won't even try that like UbiSoft, Rockstar or EA (except Maxis)

Both the 360 and PS3 were designed around being able to do this well

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

This is a predictament. Im not sure exactly what you can do?

Multi-disc? Single player on one disc and multiplayer on another?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

So many solutions however will this problem be solved?! I personaly favor 5 less languages per dvd followed up by hard drive requirement. If a game really wants to go extreme.. I guess I could get off my lazy butt and change a dvd from time to time. Sigh. =(

Around the Network

"Then developers would be abandoning the entire Core base. I'm sure there's a large amount of casuals out there who have yet to by an HDD"

Indeed, and in fact, MicroSoft is repositioning the Core again as the Arcade version, so don't expect a solution from them.

But this "with DVD9 without HDD" design is an essential mistake in the XBOX360.
If MicroSoft was really looking at the long-term, they should at least put a 100GB HDD in every XBOX360 so developers could bypass the storage restrictions of the DVD9 when they create a free-roaming game.

Well, I guess that there are multiple ways. Using more than one disk is a good way, heavy compression and longer loading is another way. Procedual textures would be good, but I think they'd just add a whole lot more of time onto the already extensive timeframes.

One way is just to release the main game, and sell map packs and expansions later on. This solves the problem and it generates waves more cash.

Also, 'unlockables' on games could be downloadable. This would be a plus for Microsoft as it would encourage the core users to buy themselves a HDD. And it saves space.

Thinking about it, quitting on FMVs would be the BEST solution around...

I mean, aren't we in the "THE HD 1920P GRAFIXXX!!!!!222!!!1" generation? Aren't graphics good enough?

I can't think of a single ps3 game that uses CGI cutscenes. Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, R&C5, Resistance, Lair, etc. all use in-game cinematics. Hell, the MGS series has always used in-game cinematics.

Yes the only reason BD and LO are so danm space problems are the fmv

I think Lost Odyssey had what 20 hours holy shitttttttttttttttttttt

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.