By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I sincerely hope Sony didn't lose too much money on the PS3 Slim launch.

Any idea when Sony is expected to start posting profits on individual consoles? Right now, aren't they essentially taking a huge gamble by assuming SW sales will make up for losses from HW?

Around the Network

@lord
Kaz did say recently that the slim also sells at a loss, but gave the impression that it was made back in software

theprof00 said:
@lord
Kaz did say recently that the slim also sells at a loss, but gave the impression that it was made back in software

Hoped to make it back, not were making it back.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I see. I guess we will just have to wait and see if they release a costs list, or a cost estimate is released.

buzzi - your right ps2 was  the less powerful machine, but where have you been?? It has been possbile to pirate the GC for way over a year now have you ever heard of the viper modchip, and i knwo there was others i just can't remember their names because i only owned a GC for such a short time and that was over three years ago.

anyway things have swapped around abit now the wii is less powerful, in fact a lil bit of a rip-off if you ask me(just an opinion), and it is easy to pirate it if you have the homebrew channel installed, so all the problems theat you complained about actually exist on the wii as well.

I have friends who feel cheated 2 because the N64 and GC got little attention while the ps product were all the rage, it's just sometimes how things go, and sometimes it was nintendo's fault they always was scared of using new technology you only got to look at how much the N64 missed out due to chosing the old cartridge formula, it took them TWO generations to realise where they went wrong.

I am sure you have nothing to worry about for a long time anyway, because the wii has a very huge user base.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network

Andriasang:

The newly announced slimline PS3 offers a new form factor, a higher capacity hard drive, reduced noise output and a lower price point compared to the current system. There has to be a catch, right? For Sony, there might be.

Today's episode of a general interest TV Tokyo news program called Pipitto! Keizai Koukishin covered Sony's Gamescom announcement of the new PS3 system. To help understand Sony's pricing strategy, the program turned to an analyst at Daiwa Institute of Research.

The slide lists the material cost for the PS3 as ¥40,000 [$424]. The announcer explains that a price drop to ¥29,800 [$316] means that Sony's losses will increase with each system they sell. However, if they increase their sales, the material cost will gradually go down, and so too will the losses.

We last heard specifics on PS3's losses in May through a more official source. Back then, Sony CFO Nobuyuki Oneda revealed that Sony was, as of March, still taking a 10% hit on each PS3 sold. Given the PS3's price at the time, 10% would mean a cost to Sony of about ¥44,000 [$461].

The TV Tokyo segment also attempted to explain why Sony was reducing the price of the system despite offering new features like the higher capacity hard drive. The answer came in the form of a graph showing PS3 sales trending below Wii and Xbox 360. The speaker pointed out that the system, even with its new pricing, is still pricier than its rivals (the show listed the 360 at ¥19,800) [$210].

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/08/20/ps3_losses/

to the OP, keep in mind that Sony has cut production costs by a fair bit whatever the actual dollar number is. That alone should show that this price cut has some actual muscle behind it.

Compare that to the 360's price cut which had no console HW modification. It is quite reasonable to conclude that Sony will be comparatively stronger than it was when compared to the 360 just 6 months ago. Sales will reflect this on 2010.

It's okay, cthulu Santa will keep Sony up and running...

Enjoy

I've been on a HP lovecraft kick lately....been reading as much of his ubercreepy fiction as possible. Not even 25% through yet

"to the OP, keep in mind that Sony has cut production costs by a fair bit whatever the actual dollar number is."

To you, keep in mind I ACTUALLY DID NOTE THAT. See the part where I bring up the initial launch loss.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs