By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If the 360 can't do graphics like the PS3, HOW can it do THIS?

@ NKAJ
its like saying to the Xbox and PS fanboys wii graphics are better.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network

the ps3 is capable of far better graphics, look at all sony first party games, on 3rd party games developers are scared to make one game better then the other, they want them to be the same. the only games that looked better on 360 are 2006-2007 360 ports to ps3, thats it. i own both systems, like both, but love my ps3. everybody will see the difference in uncharted2, god of war3, mag, heavy rain, just to name a few, i dont have a problem with 360 graphics, the ps3 are just better, and its capable of more, it is what it is.

Mazty said:
Ultibankai said:

Exactly, the PS3 is slightly inferior in terms of clock speed for textures and lighting, but slightly outdoes the 360 in terms of Physics, Particle effects, and the amount of things on screen at once.  Part of the reason the PS3 version of Batman: AA has a better camera angle to show more details on screen.   There was a site posted earlier in this very thread that explains these things.

*Notice the word Slightly*

There is no huge gap between these consoles that certain fanboys would have people believe.  They are equal in many ways, and better than each other in a few.  The 360's GPU is by a fair margin better than the PS3's, but the PS3's CPU is even greater than the 360's.  When everything is said and done they are about equal, but one is definitely easier to harness.  The quality bar for each console depends on the developers.

The CPU on the PS3 is far superior to that of the 360, and pushes the graphic capabilities far past the 360 as there is very little in it GPU vs GPU,, as the Cell doesn't suck for rendering. Plus, the PS3 has a permanent HDD, which allows for texture installation, which is a great advantage of the PS3.

You seem to really believe this, yet multi-plat developers say otherwise.  Guess who I'm going to believe.

crumas2 said:
Mazty said:
Ultibankai said:

Exactly, the PS3 is slightly inferior in terms of clock speed for textures and lighting, but slightly outdoes the 360 in terms of Physics, Particle effects, and the amount of things on screen at once.  Part of the reason the PS3 version of Batman: AA has a better camera angle to show more details on screen.   There was a site posted earlier in this very thread that explains these things.

*Notice the word Slightly*

There is no huge gap between these consoles that certain fanboys would have people believe.  They are equal in many ways, and better than each other in a few.  The 360's GPU is by a fair margin better than the PS3's, but the PS3's CPU is even greater than the 360's.  When everything is said and done they are about equal, but one is definitely easier to harness.  The quality bar for each console depends on the developers.

The CPU on the PS3 is far superior to that of the 360, and pushes the graphic capabilities far past the 360 as there is very little in it GPU vs GPU,, as the Cell doesn't suck for rendering. Plus, the PS3 has a permanent HDD, which allows for texture installation, which is a great advantage of the PS3.

You seem to really believe this, yet multi-plat developers say otherwise.  Guess who I'm going to believe.

Yeah my thoughts too. 

@Mazty

1.  There isn't just a "little" between the two GPU's it's quite a gulf, hence why the PS3 has to use a blur to achieve AA.

2.  The PS3 needs the permanent HDD for texture loading as the bluray drives don't read as fast as DVD so without it you would get texture pop in.  This isn't an advantage, it was a necessary requirement.

3.  The Cell does suck for rendering, it's not a GPU despite what most bullshitters will tell you.  Every resource spent bolstering graphics takes away from other elements which is probably why we've not seen the advantage of the Cell's extra horsepower elsewhere in games.

Mazty said:

"Texture installation"

Never heard of that one before...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network
ithis said:

I have a somewhat related question. I read a some years back, in a Lair review, that the reviewer felt that the amount of units (speciffically soldiers) on the screen at one time was something, he said, "you can tell your friend he's XBox can't do". Is this true, I mean, are there games on the XBox360 that have the same amount of characters on screen as Lair or Heavenly Sword?

Lair example, the first part of the video.

Heavenly Sword example, at 0:45.

Please don't treat this post as hostile.

And also, Lair is a great game :).

Look at this after 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhDghvsY7SU 

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA0kiV8ZnLE 

It's not hard rendering lots of enemies on screen when the AI is stupid...

Truth does not fear investigation

Info about the amount of polygons in FORZA3 (wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forza_Motorsport_3

"The new graphics engine features ten times more polygons in each car model, bump mapping, and texture resolutions four times higher than before. Also, it is confirmed that the game will run at 60 frames per second."

10 Times more than FORZA2, some cars can have 1.000.000 polygons!

I still haven't seen the game on 360 that is better looking than Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2

BladeOfGod said:
I still haven't seen the game on 360 that is better looking than Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2

And since when does two games, which is 0.36% of the total amount of games on the PS3 and 0.51% of its exclusives, determine that that system is more powerful than the X360? You people should reallystop being so biased and stop acting like it's the rule. Those two games are the exception. And besides that, there are too many factors to take into account, like art style, team size, time, engine optimization, and the OPINION of the person. Arguably the latest games on the PS2 looked better than the old Xbox. Does that mean the PS2 is more powerful because it has a few games that do? NO. And even then, it's still in the eye of the beholder and.. I'm going to say this again..

SOMETHING THAT IS BETTER LOOKING TO THE EYE DOES NOT MEAN THAT THAT SYSTEM IS USING MORE POWER. THAT CONCLUSION IS SIMPLY FALSE AND  NOT LOGICAL

Truth does not fear investigation

Yes probably 8 out of the 10 best looking console titles are on the ps3, Part of the problem is a lot of the ps3's games are exclusive, thus the developers can push the console to the limits further. This doesnt seem to happen on the xbox360 side of the things, the best looking games are crossplatform engine based eg Unreal 3 engine or like alan wake which is also coming to the PC. MS should invest $30million or so in a xbox360 exclusive (no PC port) that pushes the machine to its limits, just so it can score some bragging rights

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales