By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "The Wii would be great if it had a hard drive and HD support."

Full article here. By Tim Rogers at Next-Gen.Biz:

Thinking about the possibilities, it's kind of mildly hilarious how easily Nintendo was able to play the entire world like an accordion -- they've set us back a generation, basically, and no one minds. I don't even mind, honestly. They've made us think that the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 might be too ahead of their own time, and here we are thinking, man, the Wii would be great if it had a hard drive and HD support.

I think the backlash from Nintendo's awesome conference will be in full swing for awhile. 

Around the Network

If it had HD support and a HDD then it would have been more expensive and then we wouldn't be looking at sale numbers which are right now. The 360 would still be the world wide console leader.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

If it had these things then it wouldnt be the wii, we would be looking at another gamecube and nintendo would be losing money

This is one of my pet peeves.

The suggestion that the Wii has "set us back" is absurd. As a PC Gamer with top-of-the-line hardware, I could say the same for the 360 and PS3: the fact that those systems exist mean that less games are going to fully optimize my (more expensive and) more powerful computer.

Why is it that the PS3 and 360's technological advancements are just right, while the Wii is too far behind the times and the PC is only for crazy losers who spend way too much money? I haven't bought into Nintendo's hype -- as this article suggests -- he has bought Microsoft and Sony's spin, because he believes that their graphical advancements are the correct standard, the one which clearly all other choices should be compared to, and thus the PC is too much and the Wii is too little. Here's an analogy:

This guy: "Your porridge is too cold."

Me: "I like my porridge."

This guy: "But it's too cold. You bought in to that porridge even though it's too cold."

Me: "Too cold compared to what? I think it's just fine."

This guy: "Compared to this porridge over here. I'll call it porridge prime."

Me: "Well, aren't porridge prime and my porridge both cold compared to some other porridges?"

This guy: "No, yours is too cold, and all porridges that are hotter than porridge prime are too hot."

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

And it would cost $400+ dollars saying bye bye to the mass market.

Around the Network

where's my porridge?

I wonder when people will start to realize that the Wii is succeeding not "in spite of" lacking a hard drive and HD, but is succeeding BECAUSE it lacks a hard drive and HD.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sullla said:
I wonder when people will start to realize that the Wii is succeeding not "in spite of" lacking a hard drive and HD, but is succeeding BECAUSE it lacks a hard drive and HD.

Holiday season 2008 at the latest.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

This guy... has some good drugs. The point of the Wii is simplicity and being for the masses. The masses don't have HDTV's in fact most of them won't for a long time, they're not gonna hear the switch to digital and go out and buy a new TV, they'll buy the converter. Not that I agree with it, it's just the way it is. The average consumer is retarded, ever see somebody in best buy convinced that they're buying better HDMI's when most HDMI's are the same... long as it makes a connection it's fine.

HDD would just raise the cost but if they got a good deal on one, they could probably get away with one at current price as they make a good profit per system currently. However I don't see this happening. I'd like to see a base made for the Wii with a plug for the USB drive, nice and neat in the back measured out to fit perfectly so the Wii rests in it like the stock base and there's no extra wire slacking behind it,(of course some people will complain they don't want their wii's verticle.) and a USB extension that in turn holds some amount of flash memory that can be used to store and play from. Something like this you wouldn't HAVE to buy but people who wanted could..

Soriku said:
I disagree with this guy 100%.

Why?  You don't think that hard-drives and HD are good features to have?

You don't think Wii owners would benefit from a hard-drive?

The WIi hasn't needed either to succeed, yes, but don't treat those features as though they wouldn't be nice to have.