By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Come Mario Galaxy Didn't Sell More?

First of all, while Mario Galaxy was one of the most highly rated games recently, that was only in America. In Japan, sales and reviews for the 3D mario games have always been lukewarm in comparison to the 2D versions. Secondly, like a lot of people are saying, reviews and ratings don't make games sell.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

Also, when Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes out, you can bet sales of SMG 1 will go up too.

johnsobas said:
games like Mario Galaxy are too complex for casual gamers. The thing those first 4 have in common is that they are easy to pick up and play for anybody. They have a much bigger audience to appeal to. 2D marios are easier for people to understand and control, thus can hit a bigger market.

this sounds like this will be the last hardcore mario game for nintendo, if they  keep the trend.

F.U. Fun University.

mortono said:
Also, when Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes out, you can bet sales of SMG 1 will go up too.

Even when NSMBWii comes out the sales of SMG should go up slightly.

Now I hope that NSMBWii will push casuals to be more core and the core title sales on Wii will go up in general. 

everdom said:
and SM64 was widely bundled, ive yet to see an SMG bundle.

Was Super Mario 64 bundled with the N64 at some point?  I don't seem to remember that.

Around the Network
MikefromHaddonfield said:

Super Mario Galaxy is the highest reviewed game on Wii by the critics (it has a 97 on Metacritic), but it certainly hasn't sold very well in comparison to the Wii's best selling games Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports, and the other Wii Series games that have Metacritic scores ranging from 15 (Mario Kart Wii) to 39 points lower (Wii Play).

Also, New Super Mario Bros. on DS has almost sold 20  million copies proving that Mario platformers still do sell extremely well.

So, why has Mario Galaxy only sold 8.08 copies so far? 

GTAIV is the highest reviewed game on the XBox360/PS3 (It has a 97 on Metacritic), but it certainly hasn't sold very well in comparison to the Wii's best selling games Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports, and the other Wii Series games that have Metacritic scores ranging from 15 (Mario Kart Wii) to 39 points lower (Wii Play).

Also, GTA San Andreas on PS2 has almost sold 20 million copies proving that GTA games still do sell extremely well.

So why has GTAIV on sold 12.9 copies so far?

No games compare to the way those four Wii games have sold. Not even Nintendodogs has sold that much in so little time. Every game fails in the comparison to WiiFit sales.

Because 3D mario is too boring to bring continual enjoyment and engagement to people who haven't been playing them for 13 years. 3D platforming tends to be.

The genre isn't that big and never really has been. Have we ever seen a 3D platformer sell over 10 million even with Mario in the title? I like them plenty but that doesn't mean they have ever had great relevance in the market. Compared to any other game in the genre SMG's sales are awesome.

That 3rd Dimension just seems to be a barrier for most people in terms of less fluid feeling control, awkward cameras and time it takes to traverse and discover something interesting or new. I can't blame them as most of the time i feel the same way.

nitekrawler1285 said:
Because 3D mario is too boring to bring continual enjoyment and engagement to people who haven't been playing them for 13 years. 3D platforming tends to be.

The genre isn't that big and never really has been. Have we ever seen a 3D platformer sell over 10 million even with Mario in the title? I like them plenty but that doesn't mean they have ever had great relevance in the market. Compared to any other game in the genre SMG's sales are awesome.

That 3rd Dimension just seems to be a barrier for most people in terms of less fluid feeling control, awkward cameras and time it takes to traverse and discover something interesting or new. I can't blame them as most of the time i feel the same way.

Do you even know what you're talking about?  The 3D 'barrier' is what newer gamers want and what a lot of them got started on.  And it has overtaken the 2D genre in populairty in the last 2 generations.

Yes, there is something to the whole '2D has more accurate controls and plays more fluid/quicker/etc'.  But as for that being the major deviding line keeping people from buying the 3D Mario titles, I doubt it.  At least in America, where 3D games are now WAY more popular than 2D.  In Japan, perhaps this could be the case, with a mixture of nostalgia.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

It has sold over 8million and NSMB DS is a 2D platformer, watch what NSMBWii does.

Galaxy has done very well for a 3D mario and will continue to sell well for the remainder of the Wii's life at $50. Just like Twilight Princess is still $50.

They won't decrease in price until their sequels come and then be combo priced and such.

It's sales are fantastic. We're even getting a full-blown sequel in the same gen for the first time since the NES. And you make it sound bad :x