By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Winning Isn't About Winning

If Blu-Ray wins it most likely won't save the PS3, and since Sony is only one of 9 companies in on Blu-Ray it won't be like they've cornered a new format all to themselves.

Around the Network

Don't worry about Microsoft

MacOS will kill Window

and the PS3 will kill the Xbox360 (this one is quite obvious and is just around the corner since Microsoft is out of ammo)

so all is ok ....

(I m already out)

Time to Work !

^LOL!!!!! in your dreams!!! You should wake up and stop dreaming.

the term winning and won is totally inappropriate for this subject, hence the trouble defining it. To have Won, then there must be a single goal or a prize and in this industry there isn't one.

Success is defined by profit in my mind, the more profit you make, the more successful you are and vice versa. MS cannot go on forever claiming success when they have lost billions of dollars, sooner or later they HAVE to make money from it.

Its only Sony and MS's previous successes that allows them to bleed money on new console launches. i wouldn't call either a 'win' until they have made more money than they have lost.

MS's statements remind me of that old student phrase "if at first you don't succeed, redefine success".

^But they are still in the console market right? Okay then.

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
If Blu-Ray wins it most likely won't save the PS3, and since Sony is only one of 9 companies in on Blu-Ray it won't be like they've cornered a new format all to themselves.

In 12 years of total market dominance SCE made $2 billion in profit from the games industry. Last year alone Toshiba made $1.5 billion from DVD royalties. Sony recieves the lions share of the royalties for Blu-ray. If it does become the next standard format they are laughing all the way to the bank.

"Main point is, MS is unlike any other company, and dont think like a typical company."

Don't fall into the fallacy of thinking that because MS is super rich they therefor must be super smart. In a nutshell MS is so wealthy because the government is too corrupt & inept to adjust it's copyright laws to the realities of the computer age. I think everyone knows that MS OSs are self-serving POS, but there's nothing much anyone can do about it because of their strategic position. I don't think there has ever been a company that has gotten so much but has given so little back in return.

Oh, except for heavily subsidizing the XBOX for foul mouth fourteen year olds on LIVE.

Soriku said:

And "winning" = Most consoles SOLD TO CONSUMERS.

^ That's how we see it.

If that's the case, then I'm confident that I could destroy Nintendo in the console war were I in charge of Sony.  My brilliant plan would be to liquidate all of Sony's non-gaming divisions, shift every last resource into manufacturing and shipping out PS3's, and drop its MSRP to $1.

A Pyrrhic victory, but a victory nonetheless, right?

Alasted said:

My brilliant plan would be to liquidate all of Sony's non-gaming divisions, shift every last resource into manufacturing and shipping out PS3's, and drop its MSRP to $1.

I can see Sony's reaction now...

Sony:  JACKET!!!

Saiyar said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

In 12 years of total market dominance SCE made $2 billion in profit from the games industry. Last year alone Toshiba made $1.5 billion from DVD royalties. Sony recieves the lions share of the royalties for Blu-ray. If it does become the next standard format they are laughing all the way to the bank.

YES, that hits it direct on, i heard they get a huge share of the profits from blue ray shares, and its why they are so keen the ps3 losing money, its shoving blue rays into peoples homes, increasing the chance they will win.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.