By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Underage Drinking?

In America -

Lower the drinking age to 18 or 19 and give stiffer penalties to anyone that drinks and drives. That's the best solution.

When I lived in Japan, I never once was asked for ID. In America, it's quite the opposite.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Seinfeld said:
Aj_habfan said:
Seinfeld said:
Underage or legal age, drinking is just a scapegoat for people to do dumb crap.

You don't do dumb crap with your friends?

Not any more. At my age its kind of pathetic. When you're outside of high school, it stops being cute in my opinion.

*sips drink and squints eyes* That's a shame. College years can be good times with friends and alcohol.

I understand people who don't drink can have just as good of a time, and some quite frankly are so social they really don't need it. But I hate when these same people judge those who drink and critisize them for it.

Aj_habfan said:
Seinfeld said:
Aj_habfan said:
Seinfeld said:
Underage or legal age, drinking is just a scapegoat for people to do dumb crap.

You don't do dumb crap with your friends?

Not any more. At my age its kind of pathetic. When you're outside of high school, it stops being cute in my opinion.

*sips drink and squints eyes* That's a shame. College years can be good times with friends and alcohol.

I understand people who don't drink can have just as good of a time, and some quite frankly are so social they really don't need it. But I hate when these same people judge those who drink and critisize them for it.

I'm not opposed to drinking as a whole. If you want to have a drink with your friends and laugh, that's great. I'm just annoyed by people who get piss drunk and act like kids. Don't worry, I'm not criticizing you for enjoying a drink.

Having a drink with some mates leads to some great times. But hanging out with mates without drinking is also a lot of fun.

If you and your friends can't have fun without drinking you have boring friends.

And this is coming from someone that loves a good drink. However these days I very rarely drink to excess, its more like a beer or wine with dinner then a dozen beers in a couple hours.

Drink driving is simply dangerous and whilst underage drinking is bad it really depends on the person. I mean until this year (I turned 21 this year) I would have been classified as an underage drinker in the US and yet since the law is 18 in Australia I never was an underage drinker.

The point I'm trying to make is arbitrary age cut-off's mean very little when it comes to the maturity of people. Of course, if people are getting wasted just because they want to be cool then they clearly aren't very mature.

"Drinking, it seems as if it's becoming increasingly common among teenagers"

Historically, hasn't drinking always been common among teenagers and even children?

You say kids/teens smoke and drink because it's a mature adult thing to do. WTF? It gets you intoxicated, that's why most people do them, I assume. I've never even considered the idea that it was a mature or adult thing to do, I just thought "hey this feels good".

Around the Network

Whenever I hang out with friends that like to drink or get high, I stay sober and talk my idiot friends into doing stupid shit for lulz.

Nothing real dangerous or anything, of course.

I never get drunk myself, and I think my friends are fools for getting trashed so often.

makingmusic476 said:
Whenever I hang out with friends that like to drink or get high, I stay sober and talk my idiot friends into doing stupid shit for lulz.

I never get drunk myself, and I think my friends are fools for getting trashed so often.

Next time they're drunk, get them to buy you a PS3 slim.

makingmusic476 said:

Do you really need to stay sober to talk your friends into doing stupid shit?

FinalEvangelion said:
In America -

Lower the drinking age to 18 or 19 and give stiffer penalties to anyone that drinks and drives. That's the best solution.

When I lived in Japan, I never once was asked for ID. In America, it's quite the opposite.

in the UK (where I live, hence, my drinking is legal) its 18, but they ID you for anything age restricted, and i mean anything, they also ID you if you "look" under 30 now, quite how that makes sense to them, is beyond me.

owning a gun or owning booze as a minor?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.