By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Underage Drinking?

Drinking, it seems as if it's becoming increasingly common among teenagers, and I'm not talking about the college crowd, I'm talking about those who aren't even old enough to smoke  .Drinking, and not just a glass of wine at dinner or a beer at a party I'm talking about kids, getting wasted to use the parlance of are time.  (Now I don't drink, when I do things I tend to over do them, I haven't been playing video games that much over the past couple years but when I do play I play all day long, when I read I read all day long, when I eat I eat until theres nothing left or I'm about to throw up, and if I drank I'd probably do it until I passed out.) I find it troubling that most of my friends and a large percentage of the people I go to school with equate drinking or smoking or partying as adult things to do and I sense that a big factor behind much of the drinking that goes on among high school students, is that it is a mature adult thing to do.  Just like when I was in 6th grade and the most popular game among my friends was GTA because they equated it with being grown up (I also remember being criticized for having a Gamecube because it was "kiddy").

Now you may wonder why I'm upset about my classmates drinking? I am upset not only because it highlights the false ideas about maturity they hold, but also because of the numerous negative consequences that drinking, particularly underage drinking, such as the bad decisions that people can make when ther'ye drunk, unprotected sex and drinking and driving, and also the effects on the still developing brain.

So what do you think about underage drinking?

Around the Network

Drinking and driving is one of the dumbest, most immature decisions you can ever make. There have been WAY too many killed by idiots driving drunk, thankfully, it hasn't happened yet to anybody I know personally.

I think there's also the thrill of doing something illegal for another reason why underage drinking is so rampant. I wouldn't say they think it's the mature, adult thing to do, more like the "cool" thing to do.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

hello!

Well of course it's the "cool" thing to do because it is equated with adulthood.

toastboy44562 said:
hello!

Hi?

Around the Network
Craan said:
toastboy44562 said:
hello!

Hi?

you didnt get it nvm mind (you had to have read my other threads)

the one where you said high school was awesome?

The one where you asked how to get a girlfriend and came off sounding like a sociopath? (no offense)

Or the one that demonstrated that 14 year olds probably shouldn't have cell phones?

I don't drive, solves the problem fairly quickly and easily

edit: im also 20, so the underage bit isnt a problem

Craan said:
the one where you said high school was awesome?

The one where you asked how to get a girlfriend and came off sounding like a sociopath? (no offense)

Or the one that demonstrated that 14 year olds probably shouldn't have cell phones?

He said he drank with a girl and had a "good time". I proposed him that he could play hide and seek but he preferes to drink.

He also mentionned he wanted to have sex 40 times.

Craan said:

Now you may wonder why I'm upset about my classmates drinking? I am upset not only because it highlights the false ideas about maturity they hold, but also because of the numerous negative consequences that drinking, particularly underage drinking, such as the bad decisions that people can make when ther'ye drunk, unprotected sex and drinking and driving, and also the effects on the still developing brain.

So what do you think about drinking and driving?

So what you're really saying is... you weren't invited.